very strange heart sensation followed by adrenaline rush and fast heartbeat - very worried about this
Hi. I'm a 26 year old female, neither fat nor skinny, no smoking, only occasional alcohol use. Prior to what I'm about to describe, the only heart issues I had were: occasional flip-flopping feeling which knocked the wind out of me but only happened maybe a few times a year, and a sort of flip-flopping or difficulty beating when lying down on my left side (sometimes, not every time I lay this way - started around age 13).

Background: Three years ago something happened to me that I still haven't figured out - my heart started beating very fast and my BP went way up (so high that with every heartbeat I could see the tiny capillaries in my eyes as an overlay on my visual field). Paramedics couldn't bring them down so took me to "A&E" (aka the ER - I'm American but live in England). Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happened (that I'm aware of) prior to this incident, except for insertion of Mirena IUD one week prior - I do still have it but now think I'll have it removed.

Thus began months of seemingly random 'attacks' during which I'd get varying combinations of tachycardia, high BP, tremors esp in left leg, lightheadedness, inability to fully inhale, feeling of not getting enough oxygen even if I could breathe properly, and the list goes on. I also had a terrible feeling of physical anxiety (churning stomach, agitation, etc) but with no mental anxiety as the apparent cause!!! Attacks could last minutes or hours and any combination of symptoms would happen. And in between attacks, my heart would regularly do many strange things - tachy, brady, irregular rhythm, extremely forceful beats, 'flip-flopping' feelings, etc.

I also sometimes experienced a sensation of the heart stopping and restarting - immediately after the restart I would feel a MASSIVE, uncomfortable surge of adrenaline and the heart would beat very fast for a little while. I could never figure out if I was getting an adrenaline surge that caused some odd heart behaviour that I felt before I actually felt the adrenaline, or what. Sometimes my heart would also start beating EXTREMELY fast from resting for no reason at all - it was literally immediate - this was also accompanied by an adrenaline rush but no preceding feeling of the heart stopping.

These incidents gradually decreased in frequency over time, along w/ the other symptoms, until after three years I was feeling mostly recovered from whatever got me. I viewed myself as not entirely back to normal, but almost there. UNTIL a couple of days ago, when I had another (random as always - I was just riding in the car reading, no stress) heart stoppage -> restart -> adrenaline event. This one was the second most severe one I've ever had and I thought I might die. Luckily the heart DID start pumping again so I'm still here. By now I'm pretty familiar with flip-floppings and extra-strong beats, etc, and this definitely feels very different and much more worrying. I am afraid that if it happens again, the heart might not start on its own.

I should also say that when I say it 'stops', I mean it seems to stop pumping blood...I get the impression there is still activity going on in the heart but that blood is not being circulated. Could it be ventricular fibrillation, or ...? Maybe adrenaline is not causing this, but rather my heart goes into an abnormal rhythm and my body releases adrenaline in an attempt to self-shock into proper rhythm?

During the most severe incident in '06 or '07, my colleagues said I turned "white as a sheet" while it was happening. That time, I was clawing at my chest (reflex reaction, I didn't actually think that would help) and thinking "please start please start please start", knowing I'd die if it didn't. That time, it felt like the heart was quivering/fluttering but not pumping. All other times including the one a couple of days ago, it has sort of felt like the heart is contracting in extreme slow motion, or having some sort of muscle cramp.  

I cannot figure this out and would welcome any insight anyone has to offer. After it all began in 06, I had a stress test (slightly above avg exercise tolerance), echo (normal), stress echo (normal) and many ECGs. The cardio said my heart was perfectly healthy. No evidence of MVP (which I thought I might have). He said the only thing to remark on was that the heart was smallish, but not abnormally so.

My GP diagnosed me w/ 'anxiety attacks' w/out finding it necessary to order any physical testing whatsoever. (The above cardio is a friend of my parents who saw me while I was on vacation in the US). GP put me on citalopram which I went along w/ just to be cooperative, and propranolol to help regulate what he viewed as anxiety-induced tachy. Did not seem to find it significant that symptoms did not occur during periods of actual mental anxiety. Said it might be pheochromocytoma, but that he wouldn't bother testing as that's so rare. Ashamed to say I didn't and still haven't actually demanded said testing.

All ECGs were normal except once at A&E when they caught random very hard beats interspersed w/ regular beats - v. hard beats could be seen as an extra-long downward spike on the readout. Of their own volition (as opposed to at my request), A&E sent this to a cardio (different one) who didn't bother to look at it and just told me not to worry. Thanks, buddy! So, not really knowing how to interpret these readouts, I still don't know if that was significant.

I'm currently seeing a neurologist for delayed sleep phase syndrome. After hearing all this, he very kindly volunteered to arrange for me to use the clinic's Holter monitor; he'll then send the tape to a cardiologist. Not sure when this will happen, though, as it's the NHS (meaning things do not tend to happen promptly).

At the time of the latest incident, I was on amoxicillin but no other meds continuously, although I have been taking lansoprazole at night only, for a week and a half to two weeks. A few days prior to the incident, I had taken myself off of the pramipexole that I'd been on for a week, as I was having trouble swallowing (for which the amoxicillin and lanso were prescribed - possible sinus/throat infection or gastric reflux - doc and I wanted to attack on both fronts in order to avoid the return of the laryngospams I'd had during recent respiratory infection).

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help...
I have suffered from SVT for many years. At first I used the Valsalva maneuver (holding my breath or bearing down) to slow my heart. Then when the SVT episodes became more frequent, I was put on 50mg of Toprol-XL everyday, which worked for a few years.

Then in late 2006 I had three consecutive SVT episodes, while in the emergency room, at 280bpm. After a really long night in ICU and my ECG results showing that not only did I have SVT I also had PSVT, which means I had two different issues going on, one in each chamber of my heart, a cardiac abation was recommended.

After I got a second opinion and did my research, in January, 2007, using the catheter method, rather than open heart surgery, as its less invasive and has a shorter recovery time, I had the procedure done. The procedure destroyed the abnormal electrical signals in my heart.

So far, I have not had ANY more episodes!!! I do get the occassional palpitations for a couple of seconds, every blue moon. However being off meds everyday and no more ER visits has improved my quality of life tremendously!!

My recommendation, depending on your health insurance, is to find a cardiologist you feel most comfortable with (I went with my third choice, because he was invested in finding a solution to my many years dealing with my SVT isdues).  Once you find your cardiologist, discuss your issues and if warranted, asks for any tests to determine your diagnosis. Also,if you have any episodes, please visit the ER and request an EKG, and ask for copies of your ECG strips to give to your cardiologist. The ECG strips, if the can record your episode, is the most accurate information to determine your diagnosis and next steps.

I hope this information helps.

Good luck!!!
Ya i get that as well bout once a week wWhen i go to sleep as im falling into A ddream i start to notice my heart beat geGetting very slow and weak as i goes to a beat aboutevery 1.5 seconds every time the beat stops i get a big adrenaline rush but before the rush i heat loud intense vibrations in my ears aand i get a floating feeling its so atrange i feel like im dying for a quick second and boom back to life
Have you been tested for pheochromocytoma?
It's a good tip for people experiencing these symptoms. That said, I haven't been.
Your comment has helped me alot, I'm 22. Diagnosed with MVP right after high school. Didn't really no how to cope with it. All I new is I didn't feel the same as I used to or could do the same things.  I didn't know why. I can't play ball anymore for My heart skips/flutters to point where I almost pass out then having a blast of adrenaline I guess is what it is pressure in stomach to ears and head.  Doctors say I have anxiety. I can agree. Not taking anything for it though. I'm guess MVP cause the anxiety. Taking cardizem for skipped beats and stuff but not seeming to help. They happen constantly now. Not sure why they just won't calm down. I mean in high school I never felt this way. Constantly active. Now it's like my life shot down the drain. Any input would help me. Doctors blow me off thinking I'm to young. But I feel what's happening I kno it . Just want them to stop so I can be normal again!
I have the same thing ! It used to be once in a lo g time and not to bad at all but this year is had the most and it seems to get worst , and I'm only 16 went to emergency hospital so many times for my heart but they could never find anything wrong and also I went to get my heart monitord and cat scan also ECG the say everything is normal but deep down I know there's somthing I just know there is and it scares me , that's why I'm going to be a good person go to church a lot , and if it is somthing serious and I do die I want to know at least I'm not going down the wrong place , but I noticed when I'm hungover its the worst , like that feeling u diacribed about , it feels like not enough oxygen is coming through even when I'm taking a deep breath or breathing normal , that's exactly how I feel , and I think my lungs are going to calaps , but I mean drinking is part of are religon and I don't want to not drink but I mean its probably somthimg I should really concider stoping ...also iv been getting numb really fast to and random muscles twitching , I really worry about these things , like it could be a part of what u have and me , I feel like the only way the doctors will actually find out what it is ,is when its to the point when its really serious and its happening while ur at the hospital , like they'll be like 'oh well you have this disease or somthing ' and I would be like 'could u not have found that out or thought thats what it might be earlyer ' ugh ...
Hi, im only 12 turning 13 very soon and ive had some type of feeling like everything is slowmotion every one is talking in slowmotion and my heart rate increases alot,i can feel my heart pumping almost like its comeing out my chest. I have had these occurrences for quit a while and they terrify me!! "Im a female"
Hi...
Has anyone considered Mast Cell Activation Disorder/Syndrome?

For some of these it seems almost "classic." Many, many doctors are unfamiliar with the disorder and/or do not consider it.

Someone mentioned possible relationship between food and symptoms...good idea because often with MCAD, food can be a trigger.

Vasovagal issues have also been mentioned...also a good possibility.

However, if you haven't considered MCAD, I encourage you to research it and see if anything matches. Don't let some of the "extreme" forms of it freak you out...just try to stay focused on whether it sounds like what you are going through and remember that the treatment is as "simple" as antihistamines along with something like a leukatrine inhibitor (montelukast aka Singulair).  

I with you all the very best!

Lonna

Oh, here is a website about MCAD (or MCAS...mast cell activation syndrome).

http://www.medpagetoday.com/resource-center/anaphylaxis/mast-cells/a/37978
Hi...

I am so sorry you are going through these things. I hope my post can help.

For some of these posts the symptoms seem almost "classic." Many doctors are unfamiliar with the disorder and/or do not consider it.

Someone mentioned possible relationship between food and symptoms...good idea because often with MCAD, food can definitely trigger the symptoms mentioned if you have MCAD/MCAS, as can various scents, temperature (extreme hot/cold), exercise, fatigue, the list goes on. Any of those and many more things can trigger the symptoms. Hot showers/baths can even elicit symptoms in MCAD/MCAS.  Symptoms are as you described (and may include some or all of them simultaneously or different symptoms at different times, seemingly not connected but they are all the result of this MCAD). Symptoms can include: cardiac symptoms, gastrointestinal, neurological, cutaneous (skin), basically it can cause symptoms in any organ system in your body (and possibly more than one).

If you have not considered MCAD, I encourage you to research the condition and see if it seems to match what you are going through.

There are also some "extreme" versions of the disorder...please don't let those freak you out...it can be scary to read about those. But take heart knowing that even if the mast cell issue sounds like a carbon copy of what you have been going through...it is much more likely that it is the MCAD/MCAS, rather than some of the other more "extreme" and very rare forms of an actual mast cell disease. Take comfort in realizing that the treatment can be as "simple" as antihistamines (high doses gradually increasing to several times per day) along with something like a leukotriene inhibitor (montelukast aka Singulair) daily. A good allergist can help with this!  

I wish you all the very best!

Lonna

Oh, here is a website about MCAD/MCAS

Thanks to Lonna94 for her post about MCAD. Could be relevant to some who have posted here.

(Like this thread, I'm still alive, by the way. Palps are pretty situational now.)
You are all suffering from anxiety / panic attacks
Troll on to some other thread, please.
I read through most of this thread and was so interested by your original post describing your symptoms.  I have been feeling this way for years but have never been able to describe it in a coherent way.  I also get these quick adrenaline rushes as my heart pauses and I feel scared that it will not restart.  This causes me to immediately feel my neck to see if I can detect my heart beat.  At times, I can't detect it (although it must just be too faint to feel otherwise I would be passed out), then of course I launch into a panic which speeds up my heart rate and causes me to feel dizzy.  

My history with PVC's began over 13 years ago when I began experiencing them out of the blue.  They didn't cause any panic at that time, just felt like a "normal" pvc with a pause and a thud.  Sometimes I would get them a few times in a minute, other times they would disappear for weeks.  I received a full workup from a cardiologist at that time and the only thing he found was mitral valve prolapse.  I managed to live fine with my heart palps for the next few years since I knew they were not life threatening.  Then, out of the blue, I began experiencing the kind of palpitation with the adrenaline rush and dizziness.  Most were brought on by social anxiety because the first time it happened, I was in the middle of a conversation then felt panicky and wanted to run out of the room.  This would cause so much embarassment however, that I tried to ride out the anxiety and continue my face to face conversation while also trying to contain my extreme anxiety that I would simply collapse while speaking to this person.  Since this initial incident, I have this happen repeatedly when meeting new people or having to socialize at cocktail parties.  My crazy palpitations begin, the adrenaline flows, and I want to run out of the room.
My GP says anxiety is bringing this all on and has given me xanax and propranolol for situational social anxiety.  I have yet to test it out since I also have a phobia that I will react adversely to the medication.
Your posting finally make me feel like I am not alone and completely crazy.  I do think I may suffer from full blown mitral valve prolapse syndrome and it seems the way to control it is through meds.
Wundergecko, I hope you are doing better with your episodes.  Like you said, we are all still here.  My big problem is that I have to attend events and cocktail parties and appear social and interested and entertaining.  However my fear of having one of my episodes is so disabling I can't cope.  The next event I go to, I am going to try the meds the dr. gave me and hope for the best.

I also wanted to add that after a few years of suffering from occasional bouts of PVC's, they became so frequent and numerous that I was suffering from thousand of them every day.  I would have at lease 20 PVC's in a minute, all day every day, even during sleep.  They would occasionally wake me up in the middle of the night.  They were so bothersome but I was always told that they were not life threatening and since I didn't want to take beta blockers, would just have to live with them.  Well, at one of my physicals a few years ago, my GP suggested that low magnesium levels can sometimes cause these PVC's.  She tested my blood level and it came back in the low end of the normal range and she did not recommend supplements.  I decided to read up more about magnesium and found a book called the Magnesium Miracle.  I decided to try supplementing to see if it would help at all and began taking a 1:1 ration of magnesium glycerinate and calcium.  (About 500 milligrams each).  Well it took a few months but surprisingly my PVC's diminished by probably 95%.  I now have a few episodes scattered through the day but never have them at night anymore and never have runs where my heart is flip flopping every other beat for hours on end.  It truly was a miracle for me.  It has not cured the PVC's I get from anxiety as I described in the post above, but it has made me feel nearly normal the rest of the time.
Hi imanning,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering from heart stuff like the rest of us, but glad that the magnesium has helped so much with the day to day PVCs. If you were having something like 20 a minute, I don't know how you coped! I am doing better, thanks - my problems are mostly sleep-related now. I can't sleep on my back without my heart going crazy, but I can live with that.

Social anxiety and medication anxiety are hard. I would definitely recommend that you give one or both of your meds a try and see how you feel. Think about it this way: there so many risks in life that have a lot of unpredictability associated with them (you could get hit by a bus or a stray bullet upon leaving your house, for example), but Xanax and propranolol have gone through trials, have been on the market a while and seem very safe for those without contraindications. I was a bit scared to take propranolol myself but now I think it's great. Maybe you could try that one first and then if you still need it, add the Xanax. Up to you and your doctor, of course, but maybe trying out just one at a time would help you get past the phobia of an adverse reaction. You could also give it a test run before you have to be social, when you're just chilling out at your house, so you'll be able to reassure yourself that if things get weird somehow, you won't be in front of people.
Thanks for you reply.  I'm glad to hear you are doing so much better.  Do you think it is because of the propranolol?  I've read that it can really help with the adrenaline surges and that is what I have a hard time dealing with on my own.  What you've said about trying the medication one at a time and at home to test it out is exactly what I was thinking of doing.  I have a holiday event coming up that I am already anxious about.  Are you taking any other medication besides the beta blocker?

Also, what you mentioned about all of the other risks in life that can be unpredictable and the fact that the medications have been used safely for years by millions - it all makes so much sense to me.  Unfortunately, the fears I have are irrational and even though I know they are irrational, when the panic and anxiety sets in and the adrenaline surges, I have such a hard time being rational.  Most of my life, before my phobias became established, I was a very calm, logical and sensible person.  Now I feel so crazy sometimes because I feel as I will totally lose control and collapse, faint, or at the very least, run out of the room when in stressful social situations.  Although I have suffered from PVC's for 13 years, this social anxiety part (which I believe developed because of the PVC's) started 2 years ago.  

I am going to try the medication because I feel as if it's my last chance at being normal again.  
I think it's down to a lot of things for me, mostly not medication-related. In 2006 I was on propranolol daily for a while, but have only taken it as needed since then. I currently take one 40mg pill about every 10 days or so, on average. No other meds.

I think that for me personally - and of course everyone's need to do this or not will be different - what helped most was working on myself. I can't remember how much I've said about all that in this thread, but basically, I was extremely anxious all the time and had no idea that I was so anxious. I also had other psychological/emotional inclinations to work on. That's not to say that there isn't some SVT pathway or something that makes me more susceptible to this stuff, just that - and I wouldn't ask anyone to take my word for it - the mind and body are extremely integrated and things got a lot easier when I was able to see this and deal with my life accordingly.

I would say that being exposed to CBT-style methods was the first thing that really helped me take control of my own thoughts. Other things that helped: EFT, chakra cleansing, personal development articles. I know how that sounds to some people (e.g. I would, and pardon the dissonant phrasing, be crucified on an atheist/skeptic/rationalist forum), but I cared more about being able to function than about cultural approval of my methods. I didn't concentrate on these two till later, but a good diet and regular aerobic exercise are also really great and the exercise bit has helped me a lot. I think it's contributed to me having hardly any daytime palps now, as my heart is stronger. A bonus is that I don't worry about my heart when I get out of breath going up the stairs, because I don't get out of breath going up the stairs.

I hope you're able to find a combination of things that work for you, whatever they may be. I understand what you're saying about knowing that certain fears are irrational but feeling them and having to deal with them anyway, and the impact this can have on your life. Do try the medication and best of luck with it all!

PS - I do still get adrenaline surges on rare occasions. Propranolol is great for dampening these, but while it's kicking in, a thing that helps me is telling myself that my body's just gone a little nuts but it's temporary and I'll survive it just like I always have before. Kind of like being in the ocean and waiting for a wave to pass, which it always will. If you can convince yourself of this it helps avoid prolonging the surge through worrying that it's fatal, that you'll faint, etc.

I read your initial post and a few of the comments, however there are so many replies I admittedly have not read them all, so if something I mention has already been explained then I apologize.

I am 27 years old and about two weeks ago I had what I can only describe as a completely random panic attack. I had never suffered one before, so when it happened I was, to say the least, quite terrified. I was sat on my couch watching TV when all of a sudden a strange feeling came over my entire body and my heart began to race. I shot up from the sofa and paced around my kitchen, hand on chest convinced I was having a heart attack. It seemingly went away as quickly as it started and my heart soon slowed down to a normal rate; nonetheless I was still considerably shaken after this experience.

A few days later I felt terribly weak/dizzy, much like the symptoms of a virus, only without the nausea, and I would also experience short surges of adrenaline intermittently throughout the day. They weren't often, but regular enough to cause concern. Eventually I started to feel better, however I still experienced these short surges of adrenaline. I went a few days without any surges at all, but today I have had two or three surges and figured I should at least investigate what the hell is going on. So I came across your post from over 4 years ago and here I am.

I'll give you some details about myself for some context. I have always been an anxious/nervous person, however I have never, repeat never, had an anxiety attack of any kind before that one incident I mentioned, which is why it was so frightening, given that I was simply sat watching TV. I have sometimes let my nervousness get the best of me, which resulted in near panic attacks, but I always managed to calm myself down. I won't go into detail, but I have a lot going on in my life, however I tend to not let things worry me (or at least I thought I didn't) and never spend much time thinking about my troubles. From what one person said in a reply to you, I am wondering if my fears are manifesting themselves in the form of these adrenaline surges. I am a smoker and a chemist friend of mine suggested that perhaps the albeit very brief lack of oxygen to my brain was causing my body to overcompensate with these surges. I don't think this is the case, as I have suffered a couple of surges even without having a smoke. I don't necessarily have the healthiest diet and have put on a little weight recently, I also consume a lot of caffeine on a daily basis, not to mention an irregular sleeping pattern, which from what I have read could be contributing to these anxiety surges.

I have been aware of my anxious disposition for a long time, yet I always believed I was self-aware enough to overcome any kind of problems anxiety threw at me. I don't really like being in unfamiliar social situations, but with a couple of drinks in me I can make small talk with the best of them. Perhaps this is my body's way of telling me to work on my emotional state, although I consider myself a well reasoned, rational person that hardly ever gets angry or stressed out. I have a great relationship and can count on one hand the number of arguments I've had with my partner of 5 years, so it is even more troubling to me that something is causing these adrenaline surges with the aloof attitude to life that I have.

I would just like to thank you for your original post, as suffering these surges can be quite scary at times and you, plus everybody else that commented let me know I am not alone, which made me feel a lot better. Just to clarify, I have had no real heart troubles since that one incident; it is mostly just a matter of these pesky adrenaline surges.
Many people confuse a panic attack with a bout of SVT, supraventricular tachycardia.  It's important to know the difference as the treatment for each is very different.  When SVT starts, it comes on suddenly.  With that there is often a surge of adrenaline as it's very startling and disconcerting.  You may feel a uncomfortable pressure in your chest area, It's not uncommon to pace around and feel a little breathless.  But stop for a moment, and feel your pulse in your wrist or neck.  A panic attack heart rate is measurable. An SVT heart rate is usually too fast to accurately count.  Typical SVT rates are 3 to 4 beats per second, and you'll quickly lose count.  SVT ends abruptly as it starts.  Adrenaline will often cause the sinus rate to be elevated slightly as you come out of SVT, but when SVT ends, it's unmistakable.  If you drop from 240 to 100 beats per minute, you know it.  And I think you have to use a little logic too in determining what you just experienced.  Panic attacks build. They feed on themselves going from an uneasy feeling to panic and hyperventilation.  SVT begins in an instant and is often accompanied by a head rush, and surge throughout the body

I am amazed at how this particular topic resurfaces.  The title describes perfectly the feeling when SVT commences.  I think viewers see it, and say "Hey, this what I'm feeling too!"  

I can't stress how important it is to differentiate between SVT and anxiety or panic attacks.  While the symptoms may feel similar, the treatment is entirely different.  If a physician treats you for panic attacks when you really have SVT, you most likely will continue to have episodes.  Reporting this, you will be given stronger medication, continuing down the wrong path.  Treatment for anxiety neurosis ie. panic attacks include some dungs you don;t want to needlessly get involved with.  I know this as my wife is on several.  While drugs like Paxil (Paroxetine), Effexor (Venlafaxine), and other SSRI's and SNRI's work miracles for anxiety, they "bind" tightly with your body. Once you're one them, getting off of them is extremely slow, hard and painful, and you should not needlessly take them if you really don't have an anxiety issue.  

In summation I suggest to those who may find this thread because it describes their symptoms to stop for moment, and listen to their body, try to count the pulse, and use a little logic in determining what they may actually experiencing.  If you go to a physician, just describe the symptoms and how it occured.  Don't lead the physician with accounts of feeling anxious.  I assure you that all of us who have SVT feel anxious every single time one occurs.  Don't accidentally get put on the path of a wrong diagnosis!
Everything original poster mentioned , is happening to me aswell
triggers = masturbation , lack of sleep , alcohol
I , do also think that i have that sleep syndrome you have been mentioning since i haven't fallen asleep before 2-3  am since ages. So it might be associated?
I'm glad you have posted this.  I also have had a few bouts of palpitations and/tachycardia.  I don't think the doctors know what it is.  The first time it happened when I really thought I was dying, I was 37.  I was drinking a lot of wine from age 33-37, and having periodic bouts of bulimia.  I also drank a lot of coffee.  After the episode when I was 37, I was at work in a retail fashion store, and a customer said something that made me think of my children.  I went through a bitter divorce when I was 34, and my ex took my kids from me.  Ever since then, I would numb myself with alcohol to escape from the pain.  Sometimes I would drink a bottle and a half.  So, I had done that one night, had a bout of bulimia, woke up the next morning, drank 2 large cups of coffee and went to work.  At 3pm, I had not eaten all day, and a customer said something that made me think of how much I love my children.  And all of a sudden, my heart started pounding, and I felt like I was going to faint.  I got very weak.  I asked to go on break, and I went into Starbucks to get water and a scone.  I could barely chew and swallow.  I got kind of sweaty and clammy.  I looked around me and everyone seemed really far away.  I felt like I was in a bad movie, when I was having a crisis, and everyone around me seemed as peaceful as could be---reading books, on computers, talking with friends.  It seemed so surreal.  I started repeating to myself in my mind, "You're not going to die.  You're going to be fine."  My heart was still racing.  I walked back to work and told my boss I had to go.  I drove myself home, and it was still racing.  It had been going on for 2 hours.  I went to my Mom's, and she seemed rather annoyed that I was bothering her because she had to go to work.  I told her that I needed to go to the hospital.  They took my labs, and my Potassium was low.  I was diagnosed with palps.  When I got there, my BP was about 155/92 and then got to normal 120/80.   I went to the cardiologist, and my EKG was fine.  I had an Echo, and my heart was great!  Nothing abnormal.  They told me to cut out alcohol and caffeine.  I did.  Shortly thereafter, I got pregnant with my 4th child. :)  BP was great, I felt great.  No palps the entire pregnancy.  After my daughter was born, I wanted to have wine again.  One night, I drank a whole bottle, and went to work the next day.  I started to get that funny feeling again, like I had to eat.  I left work and went to the grocery store, and was FREEZING.  I could not get warm.  I looked at the thermometer and it was 80 degrees outside, and I had the heat on full blast in my car to get warm.  I saw this couple holding hands/kissing, and I thought I was going to vomit.  I drove myself to the hospital for rapid heartbeat.  My pulse was 120 bpm when I got there, BP was 155/95.  Some of my labs were a little skewed, but the doctor said it was nothing to worry about, because it wasn't too out of range.  My heart rate returned to normal, BP went to normal.  That was about a month and a half ago.  Since then, I've had no alcohol, and have decided that I just won't be able to have it again for the rest of my life.  I cut out all caffeine.  I also put on 20 pounds with the pregnancy (and I am a small 5'2" so 20 pounds is a lot), and I haven't been able to take it off.  I jog/walk 3 miles/5 days a week, and lift hand weights.  Still can't take off the weight.  That has never happened to me before.  I've always been able to lose the pounds if I gain weight.  I've also stopped with the bulimia episodes, since that was a trigger too.  However, I've been drinking caffeine free diet cokes, and Zero Cokes, and it happened again tonight!  This time it happened without alcohol or caffeine.  I have been doing a lot of work lately and am under a pretty tight deadline, so I am worried about finishing the work.  I also have two vacations coming up with me and my 4 children, which is going to be a lot of driving, and while I look forward to it, I worry about if my car is going to make it, if I'll be able to handle all their episodes of panic/fighting with each other, and if I'll have enough money to pay for it all.  I also have a big legal filing that is due at the end of July, a speeding ticket  that I am disputing, and another court date regarding a lawsuit at the beginning of August.  So, I have been stressed.  I started to have that feeling of butterflies in my stomach, as if something awesome was about to happen!  It reminded me when I was a child and that used to happen.  But it was not awesome, it was rapid heartbeat.  I had to tell myself again, "You're going to be fine.  It will go away."  And it did, but I found this site as I was going through it, and it was helpful to read about other people's experiences with it.  I think it might be anxiety attacks, too.  I don't know what it is, but it is really scary.  I am sensitive to it because my father died of a heart attack unexpectedly when he was 63.  My mom said he started to have palpitations when he was in his 30s.  He was military, and the military treated it with Valium.  I worry about it, but I know I am going to be fine.  The heart is made of electrical impulses, so I wonder what happens.  I also felt nauseated when I was going through it---dizzy and weak also.  I am feeling better now.  It could also be lack of sleep.
hello, I have been experiencing this "adrenaline rush" thingy too but I didn't know what to call it.  I was calling it a "Flush throughout my body afterwards".
So I am going to tell a bit of my story now.  I am so grateful to have found this forum.  I hope you guys don't mind if I ramble on.

I have been experiencing heart palpitations for a while now due to what I self-diagnosed myself as a symptom of black mould exposure.  Initially when I had the black mould poisoning, I felt as if my heart was going to explode, then I had dry heave vomiting, and I went out and curled up on the dock trying to breathe.  It hurt for me to breathe deeply in the middle of my body.  So I have become allergic to many things in the air but I haven't done any allergy tests because my doctor wouldn't let me.  

I went and got the standard tests done including an angiogram for the palpitations because one Nurse Practitioner said I had a possible infarct, but the cardiologist said I didn't have an infarct because I guess she doesn't believe in black mould, or that a healthy 40 year old man would have an infarct out of the blue for no reason.  All the test came back normal and they say I'm fine.

Recently, and this is new, starting maybe 4 months ago, I started slowly getting a pain in my left chest area, accompanied by radiating pain down my left arm, like a pressure on my left chest area and sort of like a stabbing jabbing type of pain.  Around three weeks ago I was lying down in a tent that I set up in a forest because I can't breathe in my current housing, and there were a lot of loud animals outside my tent so I sat up and held my breathe to hear more clearly if I was in danger.  Then my heart started racing uncontrollably like it was going to burst out of my chest.  I tried to relax but it wouldn't calm down.  I thought I was going to die right there.  A week later I was at my brothers place and there is good air there.  I slept like a baby the first night after drinking a bunch of alcohol, but the second night, again, totally relaxed in bed, my heart started racing uncontrollably accompanied my the gnawing chest pain.  I wrestled with my racing heart for most of the night, I couldn't sleep trying to relax the whole time.

2 days ago, I woke up to the most scariest "stoppage" and racing, dizzy, heavy breathing.  So I went to the hospital and they did a few tests and said everything was normal.  I forgot to mention, this phenomenon is accompanied with heavy breathing like no matter how much I breathe I can't get enough oxygen into me, also I am experiencing extreme fatigue, like I'm fighting an infection or something.

Tonight I'm staying at my sisters place trying to get some good sleep and last night I slept very well, tonight, I lay down and my heart is just pumping way to fast, I feel it vibrating and physically moving my body, my heart area hurts, and I can't relax for sleep because my heart is on high alert.   How I would describe the feeling is as if I had a whole bunch of coffee.  It's like my heart goes on anxious level, and won't settle down.  I try all sorts of mind over matter, even meditating or trying reiki on myself, and it still won't let me sleep and scares me incredibly.

I heard that dehydration can cause heart problems so I got up and drank two glasses of water.

I also have been experiences bowel trouble which may be an undiagnosed hernia which me be a contributing factor as someone else mentioned here earlier.  I am sitting up now, and I'm not noticing the heart very much as I am focused on writing this out, but I'm scared to try to go back to sleep.
I have been sleep deprived for over two years now due to not being able to breathe in the 6 places I have tried living at, I keep ending up in a bad air place.  So sleep is so important for me.  The air hear is good for my breathing but now my heart is keeping me up!!!!!!   I will have to move again and find a better place for breathing, but with this heart problem, I don't have the energy to do anything, and I feel like giving up.  I have been fighting to survive for so long now it seems, and this heart thing is like the last straw, I just don't know if I've got what it takes to advocate for myself or figure this out.  My friends and family don't understand and the doctors have been unhelpful so far.

Thank you for reading and if you want to add me as a friend please do.  I want to connect with people who aren't going to think I'm crazy or think that this is just anxiety or all in my head.
I see there is an option here to "add to watch list" and "join this community" I check mark them but how do I "enter" it?
Although my cardiologist cannot say for sure I have SVT I believe that is what it is. I have had echos, sleep apnea test, allergy and asthma test, 24 hour monitors, 30 day monitors, ekg's and most recently blood work, 24 hour monitor and a stress echo. All have showed normal sinus rhythm (athough tachycardia at times) except PAC's and PVC's. Although I was told I had mild Mitral Valve Prolapse in 2002 my most recent stress echo showed none, even though my doc says he hears a "click" or "slight murmur". Whatever this fast heart rate is it wakes me up out of my sleep ( it's always at night). I feel almost like I'm about to have a panic attack (just generally unwell weird feeling) even though my heart is not initially always racing upon waking. I feel nauseaous have to go to the bathroom and then my heart just takes off. Had an episode last night and I actually vomited. The highest mine has ever gotten is 161 but unfortunately it has never been caught. At this point thank God it only happens every couple months and I can get it to stop with vagal maneuvers pretty quickly. I take Atenolol only 12.5 a day because ironically it drops my heart rate in the 50's at rest. Sorry for the long post. I was actually pretty excited because I had attributed it to prilosec because each time I started it I had an episode. I have been taking zantac and I am currently having my monthly (sorry if that's TMI). Just feel so bad because I'm scared to go anywhere now for fear of it happening since I went from having no episodes to getting them now every couple of months. I feel like eventually they will start coming more frequently. My last episode when it was 150 my heart had gotten down to 120 when I was at ER and they said it was normal sinus rhythm. How do I know the difference if its IST, SVT or even something else?
Hi Skipolot. Sorry to hear you've got all this going on. My heart acts up at night too, if I lie on my back. I wake up with it really pounding. Not fun at all. No idea what-all's going on there. Vagus nerve? I think some of just just have weird heart behavior that may never be definitively diagnosed. I don't know how to tell what either of ours is in terms of IST, SVT or other. Mine responds to vagal maneuvers, like yours. In my head I call it SVT because it seems to behave about like that. My little collection of weird heart activity is still with me but it's not too bad these days. I hope yours gets better and not worse. Try to see what correlations there are and see how much it improves if you can avoid triggers. For example, I know that I'm in for palps and maybe SVT/pseudo-SVT if I combine multiple triggers (caffeine, exhaustion, sugar, emotional distress, etc). When I have problems, I take propranolol and that helps a lot. I'm still here :). Sorry I can't be more helpful and best of luck to you. Update us if you find out more.
hi , ive just had one of them episodes now and im pretty freaked out tbh , im 20 years of ae but i can recall startin to get them when i was about 17 but only every 2 months or so but over the past 12 month ive been gettin them very very frequently. i work for a casino dealing poker and sometime out of the blue i et this and after my heart socalls(restarts again) i get the adrenaline rush and hae to jump up of the table and start to panic , eventually it calms down. im start to get the at least twice a week now and they seem to be lasting longer and loner , the onei just had now i was convinced i was gonna die and i had to wake my brother up saying to help me. i really need some advice , ive noticed this pae has been going for over 5 years now , surely someone found out what it is in that time ? please get back to me soon ,  thanks
Here is my story.  I write this in a hotel room in Johannesburg, South Africa.  I am 40 yrs old and the CEO of a listed company.  Today, for no rhyme or reason on the plane I started to feel dizzy, my pulse rate went up, missed a few beats and pretty much raced for the rest of the day.  I popped a beta blocker which brought it down to normal as I cannot stand the feeling. As my heart raced throughout the day I became more and more panicked - arms and legs were tingling, felt dizzy etc.  This lasted the whole afternoon.

In 2005 I had a random episode of atrial fibrillation which lasted 12 hours and self corrected.  Had all the tests done and everything was fine and they advised that it was a random event.  Since then I feel every ectopic beat I get and when I get them, I still panic which sends the heart racing.  I have had multiple echo's, EKG's, stress tests etc and am always told my heart is in great shape - in fact, I had one as recently as a month ago.  

You would think given all the tests I have had, especially considering I have just had one, that when a random event of a racing heart strikes I should be able to deal with it - I am ashamed to say I still struggle deeply.  People have real problems, heart disease, cancer, epilepsy etc and here am I freaking out over something I have been told by experts is fine - why is that?

Here is why

Due to the randomness of these PVC's etc we never know when they are going to strike - we them find ourselves constantly waiting for the next one which puts you in a constant anxious state which results in more PVC's!  All we want is to not have them - they go away for a while, we think we are done with them and then they strike!  What I battle to deal with is the dissapointment of admitting that they are not gone for good and I have to deal with them again (sometimes I go for months without any - think I am clear and then WHAM!)

It is the vulnerability that I cannot stand, it is the constant guessing that I cannot stand, it is the pulse checking, the no coffee rule, the no red wine rule, the no big meal rule etc etc - we must (speaking for myself) be seriously boring people to have around.

I have taken the following decision - no longer will they get to me.  This is my Achilles heal and I am blessed to have it rather than something serious.  God has given us finite time on this earth and there is no point moping around waiting for the next jolt and not enjoying life - as it says in Mathew - worry cannot add one second to our lives - our time is our time so really, what are we worrying for - it will not change a thing!!!  And besides, these palpitations are benign!!!

What has helped me reduce them is;

Low carbs
Low caffene
No red wine - which *****!
Reduce sugar
Try and reduce stress
Exercise

All of the above are good for us anyway so we  may as well just suck it up and do it.  Magnesium supplements help me massively.

Lastly, carry a beta blocker as a crutch - if the pulse goes mad, pop one and just keep on trucking!

I hope this helps someone out there as I have dealt with this for 10 years, am still around and still coming to terms with them

Good luck, Gold bless
there are a couple of things i like to mention that may help you friends.

1. things we are experiencing , are not fatal. its a problem with heart signals and even in its very most severity for a healthy heart usually dosen't end up killing anyone.
let me tell you something about arrhythmia , arrhythmia that kill people are usually caused by heart attacks , obesity , cardiological problems , old age and bad genes. so please do a check up on your general health and heart.. if you didn't have the risk factors then the chance of you dying because of this is actually lowest possible.

this is important. cause when people experience these , they develop death phobia and that make this happen more and with more severity and ruin life quality as well.

2. I seen many of you keep testing your heart. stop doing the same thing over and over again. if you had holter tests , an echo and stress echo and 2-3 ECG then move on. a lot of other things can cause this but the heart itself. neurological problems , Anexity , drugs side effects even even gastritis and acid reflux

3. use a pulse oximeter , its a device that shows your heart beat per minute and your blood oxygen. but most importantly your pulse graph. wear it. and wait for next attack to happen. if your heart skip a beat then the graph will drop to zero. and if your blood oxygen started to drop as well then you know you have a heart condition. if none of these happened then you obviously are stressing yourself over nothing life threatening.

4. the heart beat raise and palpitation most of you develop after a heart skipped beat is adrenaline side effects not a heart condition. the body goes into a adrenaline shock. it suddenly faces a near death experience(or so you make it think unwantedly) and your heart pulse goes up at once. and you get a pounding heart that you can feel it.

5. Magnesium supplements really do miracle about this problem. in addition to this please try beta blockers pay attention beta blockers lose most of their efficiency if you take them after the attack. so its better to take them daily and on a regular basis to avoid the condition although it can help to treat it as well sometimes.

6. please sleep well. try to sleep.. do whatever it takes to sleep. bad sleep make this stuff happening 100x more than other times.

7. Oversensitivity about this will ruin your life and get you in more trouble , at the end worrying all the time for this doesn't immune you against it possible bitter ends. so let it go.dont over think it it will lead to over sensitivity and that will ruin just everything. do a full scale of check up. take special care with supplements and anti stress exercises and sleep enough and i assure you it will work better that putting even more pressure on your heart by over-thinking and lots of stress.
A lot of good advice and observations for people in that post, Medive. Thank you.
I read your original note with great interest.  I had the exact same symptoms earlier this year for a few months.  I would feel a kind of sinking feeling in my chest followed by a few very intense heart beats.  Then an INTENSE rush of blood would go up into my head and down my arms.  Some times it would happen repeatedly a few times.  Sometimes it would be several times a day, and then not for a few days.  It tended to happen when I lied down, leaned back or after I ate. There was no emotional component of anxiety or panic. It was not painful, but was very disturbing.  My body was telling me that there was something very wrong.

I went to multiple doctors.  GP, endocrinologist, internist.  All were dismissive.  They did not really examine me, or delve more deeply into my symptoms.  two of them suggested I see a psychiatrist, noting anxiety, depression, or mania as potential diagnoses.  I did see a psychiatrist who said there was nothing wrong with me mentally, but that I was sick and obviously frustrated.  Finally, after being a good patient and taking anxiety meds and antidepressants (even though I told them that I was neither anxious or depressed) my problem was solved.  One morning I woke up with terrible abdominal pain.  To make a long story short, I had a bowel obstruction surgically repaired, and after that the symptoms all waned away and stopped in about 3 or 4 weeks.  My diagnosis was that of an internal hernia, where the bowel gets intermittently partially abstracted and pinched off in some narrow opening in the abdomen.  I believe the adrenalin rushes were due to special nerves called sympathetic fibbers that line the bowels getting stretched or compressed.  They secrete adrenalin, and I believe they were being set off and causing abnormal signals to other parts of my body (e.g.. heart).

One thing I am brutally aware of now after being a patient, is that women's unusual or difficult to explain symptoms tend to be automatically explained off as anxiety.  I doubt that a male physician presenting in the ER with my symptoms would have been jerked off and sent to a psychiatrist like I was.  I actually told this to the ER doctor because I was getting really frustrated and mad, and he essentially told me that I was hostile and paranoid. Can you imagine what that felt like?

I am a doctor (family practice and maternity).  This is the advice I will give you.  IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING GOING ON AND YOU FEEL IT IS ABNORMAL, IT PROBABLY IS.  DO NOT LET YOUR DOCS IGNORE YOU. Take this note to your doc and discuss it with him.

In retrospect, I had hints of my bowel problems.  I had ongoing bloating and abdominal distension on and off for 1.5 years.  I had a decreased appetite, I had vague discomfort with eating.  If you have any of these sorts of symptoms too, but are ignoring them because the heart palpitations and head rushes are more intense, them take this to your doc and discuss it.  You may have what I had and it is treatable.  Best of luck.  DocKa
Oddly enough, I found this while searching what an adrenaline rush feels like, and I'm so glad I did as it sounds like what I have been experiencing lately.  Brief history, I have had palpitations for a few years now, and after some research and realizing it was most likely nothing to worry about, I was able to remain calm when it happened, and experienced nothing more than a strong heartbeat feeling in my throat that would cause me to have to cough.  I usually am laying down when this occurs, but not always.  Sometimes it seems triggered by bringing my chin to my chest which may be vagus nerve related (?).  More recently, I have had a similar type of heartbeat, but slightly different, enough to cause me alarm.  I too feel as if the heart has stopped.  This is followed by a cold tingling feeling in my arms and legs and the need to get up an move (this feeling is why I was researching adrenaline rush).  A few moments later and I feel the heart beating again but at a high rate.  This causes me great relief as I know I'm not going to die!  I am then able calm down, but still feel panicky and worried that is going to happen again.  The first time, I tried to locate my pulse but haven't done so since since it just causes greater panic.  I don't know if the 'rush' creates the panic, or the other way around.  I should also note that I have self diagnosed benign fasciculation syndrome/peripheral nerve hyperactivity which has been on and off for about 10 years.  I have been particularly twitchy for the last few months.  I also have anxiety, but have never had a panic attack, and it is controlled with meds.  I'm wondering if anyone else has BFS, because there are a lot of strange symptoms that seem to go along with it, and I'm wondering if this is just another one of them.
Sounds like dysautonomia,POTS in particular
The same thing has been happening to me for years. After doing the same rounds as everyone else and nothing abnormal ever being found, I have stopped talking about it to anyone because of the usual "it must be anxiety" or "menopause" comments I get. It was even suggested I was just a bored housewife...despite the fact that I have a full time job, run a part time business and have a family so don't actually have time to be bored. That was until 6 weeks ago when I had another episode in a restaurant as we were celebrating family birthdays and I ended up having a convulsion and passing out while sitting at the table - totally out of the blue and totally random. I woke up to find myself on the floor and my daughter on the phone to the ambulance service. My heart was racing and my blood pressure so low the ambos wouldn't tell me what the reading was - they just kept saying it was too low. 4 days in hospital and as usual they couldn't find anything except that my heart rate kept going up and setting off alarms every time I got out of bed. I was sent home once I'd been cleared of any heart disease, stroke or epilepsy and told to follow up with my cardiologist in 6 weeks (only to discover the cardiologist that I had seen previously mad moved to another city).  I saw another cardiologist yesterday and as luck would have it,  I had an episode in his waiting room and became quite faint a couple of times while standing, so it was actually witnessed by adoctor this time. I didn't pass out, but at least it is now being taken seriously. I've been given a trial of beta blockers and will do a holter meter test (yet again) in a couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see what they decide when the holter meter shows nothing, as I'm expecting. And yes, I'm also one of those that is woken by the episodes in the early hours of the morning and occasionally, every 20-30 minutes all through the night. The one thing I have noticed is that the episodes often precede a hot flush and once the hot flush happens, the episodes stop. Unfortunately the hot flush isn't always immediate so I can have them every few minutes for several hours before I flush and the episodes stop. I asked if it could be menopause related and was told no, menopausal hot flushes don't make you faint. Well I had an extended hot flush right before I fainted, so if it isn't menopause related, what are the heck are the hot flushes? Can't be pheochromocytoma because that causes episodes of high blood pressure and mine was very low, not high. Frankly I just want to get back in my box and not have to get back on this medical merry go round yet again because I know it'll end in the 'it must be anxiety"  basket. That seems to be the place for everything that is too hard to diagnose.
I have some similar symptoms. So far I've been told they are panic attacks, but I'm still getting the symptoms checked out (and also making a therapy appointment). I'm also wondering if sometimes what I experience as related to my heart is actually awful heartburn that causes a "pulse" or "rush" feeling.

Feel better and have a happy and healthy 2015!:)
Hi everyone out there.  I am new to this forum which I happened upon when I punched in a search on symptoms I experienced yesterday for the 'umpteenth' time in my life.  I am 54 years old now and I have been having many of the symptoms and problems described above since I was sixteen way back in 1977.  The onset of these was triggered at the time by a high stakes state exam in which I was expected to do inordinately well...so no pressure!  At this stage of my life I can only talk common sense to all you young worriers out there.  You will not die from these symptoms but they are random and very, very uncomfortable to live with AND for those of us who haven't come to terms with this particular sensitivity/vulnerability we were born with the symptoms are very frightening.
However Medive gives us all very good advice on this forum as to how to deal with the life pressures that cause such symptoms in those of us with this particular vulnerability.  While some triggers may be personal to individuals among us (and we can identify these for ourselves over time) the overall message of 'healthy eating, exercise, fresh air, sunshine, rest, sleep, meditation/yoga if you can, a balanced lifestyle and as little as possible of self medication (i.e. alcohol, strong caffeine, self harming incl bulimia, smoking, cannabis or other soft/hard addictive substances, Xanax and it derivatives, painkillers) will go a very long way to alleviating the symptoms.
I totally agree with the many of you who recognise the 'vicious circle' aspect to the worry/trigger/attack cycle many of us can fall into.  It is very important to recognise this and accept that the less we stress over our symptoms, the less frequent and severe the attacks will be.  I say this with this added note of caution.  These symptoms can and do mimic heart issues/problems which are potentially serious, so in experiencing these attacks for the first time, the sufferer must consult a doctor.  However, if after satisfying ourselves that our hearts are healthy, the best remedy is the one which helps us to adapt a lifestyle to control and prevent regular occurrences of the symptoms.
I wish I had known all of this back in 1977 when my attacks first began.  They caused nightmare scenarios for me as a young adult which I will not document here.  Please rest assured, all of you fellow sufferers out there that you are are not mentally ill (even if you need to take anti anxiety medication).  I also agree with Medive that if you can avoid medication altogether, that is best but not all of us can.  The earlier we start with the healthy lifestyle and knowing our own bodies, its strengths and vulnerabilities, the better.  Starting on this healthy self care route is the best chance we can give ourselves and even starting on it later in life is tremendously helpful.
Remember this please.  We are born physically sensitive; that is all.  We are not mad or mentally ill or hypochondriacs or drama queens.  Don't please label us as this.  Physical sensitivities just lead us to react more strongly to certain triggers than others in the population.  In some ways this is a bonus as it acts as a very alert warning system to stress and other potential disease causing and fatal illnesses/attacks.  Oddly enough, I also suffer from acute hay-fever, rhinitis  and asthma.  Think of our sensitivity and symptoms in a similar manner to these and it might help explain what I'm getting at.
I hope this advice is helpful to a few of us out there.  It comes from a 'seasoned' sufferer.
Best of luck and DON'T WORRY!
Robin :)
Thank you. It's posts like yours that keep me from freaking out about this condition. My  pvc's actually settled while I read your post. That says something right there.
Strange reading all this, it sound just like what i have been experiencing. But for me its like a double beat an on the second beat i get a shot of adrenalin shoot up into my throat. It only lasts a millisecond, but iv had quiet a few today. Dont feel sick, or any pain..... anyone else get anything like this?.
Hi, I also had similar symptoms and for 8 months, I was in and out of doctors offices trying to find out what was going on and every test they would give me would come out "normal". After testing came back "normal" I was told to see a counselor because it was probably anxiety. She told me that when doctors cannot find the problem, they say it's anxiety.......to make a long story short, I wound up going to a party one night and had a bit too much to drink and wound up in the emergency room the next day and my "racing" heart finally showed up on the monitor........I was then sent to a heart hospital and had an EPS Study to find out which nerve was making my heart race because they told me they could actually burn it so it wouldn't cause me any other problems, but unfortunately, mine was in an area where I would need a pacemaker if they burned it so I told them to leave it alone........I found a cardiologist that specializes in heart "rhythm" and diagnosed me with "AFIB".  He put me on "Rythmol" and now I am aware of what is going on and what to avoid. I'm on meds that actually work. I now have a life again........keep going with your testing until you find what you're looking for :) Good Luck :)
I was just randomly looking up more info on my condition(s) last night and I came upon this forum. It was SO weird to hear anyone outside of my mother and (when she was alive) grandmother experience the symptoms you describe to a T: feeling like your heart has STOPPED and then being flushed with an intense amount of adrenaline and ... everything goes back to "normal." From my family history I know that my grandmother told my mom (who has the same thing happen to her as this) was born with a hole in her heart - this was in 1923 & she just died about 6 months ago (Nov.2014) from nothing having to do with her heart so I don't want to cause any worry there - and my mother was told by the doctors as a child (in the 1960s) that she had mitral valve prolapse, but this was never able to be confirmed because those *specific* set of events, the heart-stopping-adrenaline-surging 'feel like you've been defibrillated' restart of the heart' did not happen at any set interval or with any warning at all. Like I think you mentioned a couple years ago, it can happen when totally relaxed and it's even MORE of a shock because you know you aren't taxing your heart in any way. Anyhow, point of my story is that since I can remember, probably early childhood, I've had these episodes every few months. No warning, no trigger, nothing. Just feels like my heart stops beating in my chest for (what feels like 10 seconds) a few seconds combined with that horrible fight-or-flight surge of adrenaline. And then nothing like that for months ... so I can only go on my family history of "minor heart irregularities that had no effect on overall health or length of life." BUT I have been told by two specialists that women are more prone to MVP especially if they also have anxiety. Also I have no idea what you look like but supposedly "long" arms (for your height) and long fingers/palms are very very common among those with MVP. Just something you might look in to in case there is a family history b/c this thing does not always happen often so it is very hard to test for.
Now the anxiety thing, with the heart flipping and rising BP/HR and chest pain, etc, I have also experienced this, separate from the heart-stop-adrenaline-surge thing, including when exercising in front of other people, or doing something new in the gym, or even coming home after going out with a large group of people. Job interviews have been the most consistent (not surprising in the economy today!). And also, I'm 1 year younger than you, basically the same 'medical age' so while I don;t think I can give you advice per-se, I can share what have been VERY similar experiences. I would NOT tell you that yoga or acupuncture or even seeing a certain specialist will help decipher what you're going through (I've been to 5 specialists other than my neurologist and PCP since about 2009. The *only* solid advice I could give is that -to me- it sounds like you have two separate conditions, perhaps similar to me. And if this is the case, it is actually easier to treat the 1 (anxiety) and either continue to seek other specialists (I am not familiar with BHS, I speak from a US doctor standpoint so this would be up to you? the BHS? I'm not sure).
I know it's been about 5 years since you first posted this but on the off chance you still get updates from this forum, I thought I'd chime in with my experience & who knows, maybe someone will read this and have a similar experience, too. Hope you're doing well. I actually have been taking low-dose proponalol, the beta blocker, for anxiety surges and that helps with that but I still get the heart-stopping scary as heck event every few months. I've learned to differentiate from the two though and that has given me a lot of peace of mind. If you haven't already, perhaps this can give you some too :)
Really frustrating to read all these comments when it should be easy to get an EKG from electrophysiologist and specify the problem.  Don't take "anxiety" as your diagnosis when you can feel for yourself that the heart is not beating in sinus rhythm.  Better yet, spend $75 on the AliveCor smart phone heart monitor and bring the results to the specialist.  Not a GP unless that GP is willing to refer you to the EP.  Depressing here to read how far behind some doctors are.
This sounds exactly like mine. I went to cardiologist. He looked at me funny and asked if I was having a spring in my heart. Not to worry and exercise... Useless.
Hello Every one-----i am suffering from the same condition since fron dec 2012----it was a bad day of my life i was sitting with my friend and we take a heavy lunch with chicken and lots more-----i was talking to my friends and suddenly my breath stop and i feel i was dieing and feel black on my eyes..it goes for 4 to 5 second after that i feel well and drink water----i go to the hospital where the doctor say me it happened bcoz of my stomach problem--bcoz ihave a gall bladder surgery in 2010-----well i come back home and eat my dinner i eat lot of rice---after half hour i feel again the same and i think i was dieing any ways i sleep bcoz i think my life is almost finished------in morning when i awake i go to doc again i tell him every thing he give me some of medicine but i m not satisfied----after that every time i sit in hospital like a crazy person bcoz i think if heart attack will come some one take me to emergency-----after a week my gf come from Japan to meet me----i spend 2 weeks with her but i really don,t feel well----some time i feel my heart stop working------i go to the Top hopsital of Pakistan where i tell the story to the doctor----and the doctor laugh at me--he say its only my thinking my bp is fine ultra sound ecgs,liver test every thing is normal---i feel to sad bcoz i have shortness of breath and lot of burping----any ways i stop eating any thing for a week and after one week i feel my heart escape beat----i go to emergency i think i have heart attack there they check my bp every thing is normal-----again no medicine no thing----after a month i apply for a visa of Japan to go to meet m gf----on the mean time my cousin need some of the money and he asked me for a help i tell him that im going to Japan and i don,t have he say few sentence to me--by which i feel hurt and i suddenly start feel pain in my chest---i go to doc he say me i m fine and i to young for heart attack as i was 26 on that time----in 2013 i visit to my gf to japan but there i feel scared every time that may b i have heart attack and if i m travelling in car or in train i feel scared and my heart escape beat---i spend 26 days there and got married to her but really don,t enjoy then i come back to my country---i went to a medical specialist and i tell him i have lot of burping and facing that problems---i have a white mucus to from my nose--he do x ray for me ecg test,ultrasound,he say its bcoz of stress he give me medicine for stress by which i feel well like 10% but every 2nd day my heart escape beat------and i m tired to take depression tablets every time feel sleepy and lazy----i decide to go to cardiologist---while telling him a story he ut ? mark on me and he say to me that come tomorrow we will do ech for u-----while he was doing echo for me i feel my heart has low beat---but got surprised while he say me my heart is fine and i have chest infection---any ways i m happy and think i will never face it again---after a week i feel the same-----i try to convince my self that every thing is ok but after 2 months again i take an appointment with doc-----he do for ecgs ultra sound,tyrod test which comes normal----he give me some vitimans tablets and gastric tablets---i use that for 4 months i feel well and some time i fac minor bubble burst in my chest----but after 4 months i notice my stool  colour become greenish----i was worried and take appointment again of a doc.while the doc give me medicine and perfome billurbin and typhiod test which comes normal-------he tell me that i use medicine for a week and after one week i do a stool test---so i go for stool test result come normal----i feel scared and take again cardiologist appointment---the doc react me normal and also prescribe me same medicine for stomach that i have infection-----well i got tired to be very honest and evry time i was searching on net there is lot of threads of cancers and lot of more disease----i decide to take an appointment is a big hospital and expensive here in Pak--i go there to my gp and while i go inside i start a story from very begining and doc is listening me----in last he say me that u have tyrod test stool test and tyhpoid test i say yes and all is negative-----he check my all previous test and he tell me that he want to repeat typhoid test and cbc blood test---cbc test come normal and typhoid is negative-----well he give me a sensival 25 mg for depression---Inderal tablets for heart escaping beat---and lansoprazole 30 mg and fleet D tablets for stomach bcoz he think i have anxiety-----while doc prescribing me the medicine i asked like a crazy person from him that tell me sir  if i have a cancer-----bcoz i want to do endoscopy or biarum x ray--- doc laugh at me he say me that u have a good health don,t think that-------now from 2 months i m using the medicine  i feel fine but every day i go to toilet for stool bcoz of my bowel------and today again i feel  same that i have heart attack bcoz suddenly i feel hot and sweating and feel dizzyness like black on my eyes-----again i m afraid now thinking what should i do-------i eat yougart and after that 1 to 2 hours i eat water melon------but after i feel that i have heart attack suddenly burps starts and again i think i have anxiety problem---such a **** don,t know what to do for it
WOW.. can't believe I found this article.  I'm a 54 year old male.  Earlier this year I had this really weird thing happen when I drank a protein shake after getting home from work.  I live in CA, like many, our weather systems are off here so it was in Feb of this year (2015), hot day, really hot so I thought I'd rather have a nice cold protein shake than cook.  After I downed it I got this horrible rush, heart palpitations, dizziness, clammy all over, sweating and this headache that I thought was going to bust through my skull.  Lasted about 2 hours... Freaked me out but I got on with life and swore off that brand of shake.  Next time I did a protein shake, same thing but this time 11 hours, the next time was a yogurt drink, 13 hours.  Sent myself to the Dr.  EKG and all the blood work came back fine.  Fast forward to a couple of months ago.  I was well on my way to getting well, or so I thought. One night I was laying there in bed and I got this huge rush of adrenaline that woke me up.  Heart was racing like that whole "fight or flight" thing.  I'm an insomniac as it is so getting back to sleep that night was useless so I laid there with these rushes that kept coming.  Over time, through mediation, a little THC too (nice to live in a state that allows the use of medical cannabis) I thought I was on my way to health once again.  Two Thursdays ago (June 18th) had a bad night.  Got up in the AM to the bathroom and start getting ready for work.  I had an attack that caused me to crash to the floor.  I really thought I was having a heart attack.  I crawled to the back door and opened it up to yell for help but I was too weak so I just opened the door and laid there saying my goodbyes to the world.  My heart slowed a bit and I managed to get to my cell phone and called 911.  So at the ER they ran all the usual tests and EKG.. all was fine according to their findings.  Since then I've felt weak and shaky all the time, out of sorts like I have this perpetual cold.  My bowls are a mess but I live with IBS too so that's not helping all this one bit.  But reading Wundergecko and allot of the replies afterwards it's like there are other folks, with different circumstances and origins to how it started, here and posted.  This thread is pretty old but it's continued to be read and posted too... so I post too!  

I have some theories but not sure if any will be found useful.  Thyroid or Adrenal gland issues?  Anxiety attacks... well OK.  I guess that plays into it all.  IBS side effects?  Some articles I've read even have folks reporting similar issues when talking about IBS or Leaky Guy Syndrome.  So I'm sort of out of ideas.  I can't continue to live my life like this.  On top of all I have going on I'm also HIV POS, long time survivor, 30 years.

Hope folks get theirs figured out and if you have ideas post them.  I'm going to keep tabs on this thread!  Richard
Wow... I've suffered from very similar things (I did an online search today as I am tired of this crap). I suffer from anxiety attacks, as well as IBS, and recently vertigo. I've had at least 3 ECGs/EKGs and walked around with a 24 hr heart monitor twice in my life. My weight yo-yo's a lot, but I feel I suffer more heart issues (non-issues according to medicine) when I am thinner.  I really wish there was an answer to this.
This is an answer a long time after your original post. I hope you are doing well.
I suffered problems very similar to yours... heart feels like it stopped momentarily, adrenaline rush, followed by tachycardia, tingling in the fingers, dizzyness. Also, foggy head that does not go away...feels like I cant think clearly. Shortness of breath and only managed to talk in a whisper for long periods. My physical state got so bad that I could barely get out of a chair.
Doctors thought I may have a pheochromocytoma. So much so, they gave me surgury to remove a legion on my lung - to no avail.
Then, one day I had an episode while looking directly at my coffee cup. I thought...'maybe its caffeine'. So, I stopped consuming all forms of caffeine, and two days later I felt like my old self again. I havent had an episode since and its been two years. I hope this might help someone else...give it a go. I didnt think I was a big caffeine consumer, I would have maybe four cups of instant and a couple of diet cokes in a day...maybe this is too much. I dont know, but I do know I have not had a problem since I gave up all forms of caffeiene.
It sounds like anxiety...but it could be a phenochromocytoma-small benign tumor on the adrenal glands. It causes episodic Tachycardia, BP spikes, pale face, adrenaline rushes, profuse sweating, and anxiety itself. Because it's episodic, it's difficult to catch in something like an overnight stay in the ER.
I'm experiencing very similar sympthoms and i figured some solutions to ease it up. Hope some fund it helpful.

Im a female 27. Episode always begin with brain releasing dophamine and adrenalin (these hormones often go together). It feels really good at the beginning, and although there's anxiety, dopamine makes it feel nice, like a drug. I good physically (its an illusion) and inspired to do all kind of stuff, which if i do, it makes the adrenaline release even more. When dopamine wears out in a couple of hours i start noticing how my heart is racing, racing thoughts (like painfully racing),muscles are super tense, sore throat(from the heart), higher blood pressure that causes frequent urinations. Im too weak to stand up from bed but also can't fall asleep next 24 hours and you gotta be really carefull taking sleeping pills when heart is acting up (sleeping pills, if not from natural herbs increase your heart rate).

It all started from big prolonging stress in the past and when my body couldn't handle it anymore, brain started sending these "emergency treatments". Problem is, our brain works in a loop - once it did something, it remembers and this becomes a habit that takes a long time to get rid of. I dont stress at all nowadays, but my body cant handle even an average anxiety (adrenal glands don't produce anti-stress hormones as it used to), so with a little stress body reacts severly and brain releases these hormones for me.

Over time I found i can control it.
Step one - pay close attention to every small reaction inyour body, learn to recognise triggers and first sympthoms. For me its always in the evening and when i had short sleep the night before. The reason is that i get more tired in the evening and that i find to be the biggest stress to my body. If i in addition were to have some stress the day before, or didn't go outside and had enough oxigen, 12-hour work in a front of a monitor, or had caffeine or some alcohol - chances for the episode grow. If i emit all this i will never have an episode. But even if now i know how to behave, life sometimes doesn't give you a choice and you get stressed, have an insomnia, resulting this adrenaline rush.

If you feel that you might have an episode starting, the sooner you act - the lesser your post symptoms will be. Recognize  your pre-sympthoms. Its sometimes unclear if it really starts so having a blood pressure meter with heart meter really helps monitoring yourself. If you mesure and its off, - drop everything youre doing, go outside and breathe.Very slow and deep. Oxigen is your first remedy and slow breathing slows your heart down. Breathing exersise that helps to release anxiety- deep breath, hold it for few seconds while tightening your abdomen muscles, with streanghth and release slowly. Repeat when needed. aspirin lowers the heart rate as well as valerian root extract (400-800mg)which i find helpful. Don't get too warm as it will bring heart rate up. Lie down for as long as adrenaline ruhs is going, as even if you fought symptoms, adrenaline will bring them back. Relax your every muscle while lying and dont do anything (be on phone, text, overthink). Just keep drinking water,warmish milk, herbal teas. Don't get panicked, do everything to keep most positive attitude even if you feel shittiest. Sometimes you feel like being stupidly optimistic is a frequent repeating effort, but the worst thing you can do to yourself is to agitate your body when its already heavily agitated.

It's so important managing the sympthoms at that time while adrenaline is rushing, because  sympthoms are likely to become serious diseases. Adrenal glands are overworking but most importantly,even a healthy heart is at big risk.You likely to develop heart palpitations and shortness of breath very soon after episodes and if a weakened heart is continued to be agitated, - it may lead to a heart attack.

After the rush is gone there's obviously a big fatigue, heart is out of rhythm, short breath, heavy headache after hightened blood pressure. All you feel doing is not getting up from bed and rest - which you should, but you also have to get up and outsid to exercise on fresh air. It may seem like a horrible idea, first steps walking you'll feel dizzy and your heart will be jumping out with each move, so take it real slow. You'll feel a relief and flow of some energy very soon, as you're slowly walking and breathing fresh air. Heart muscles need a little exercise and when its adjusted to your walking, it will surprisingly normalize its rate. Speed up your pace.

Whith this, you must stop consuming alcohol, cigaretts, caffeine (coffe addicts x5an switch to decaf), eat your veggies, exercise and be outside every day, put a sleep as a priority(really, nothing is worth of your sleep),stay hydrated, develop a habit of a stupid optimist, be responsible for your lifestyle. Your efford is worth it, because your systhem is not putting up with casual harmful things as it used to, and its locked in a pattern that makes it degrating. You'll be albe to say goodbye to this condition without being on harmful medications and random side effects. It is your other option if you don't work your lifestyle. And faster success is reliant on how much responsibility you take for having an episode and making notes on how to improve.

I also found out recently about electric brain impulses (not electroshock!). It basically resets your brain to default functioning. A person clise to me had brain reacting to stress in a repetitive behavior  and the treatment helped instantly - after 2 treatments. It harmless, painless and 30 min to complete.

Of course, adrenaline rush may be caused by other conditions then stress reaction,  like a thyroid disceases. This way living healthy isnt enough and clinical treatment needed.

My dear friends, we are all linked with this strange illness, i hope i have some answers....

I have this. Every symptom. Actually - had.
I had Afib that corrected itself after 12 hours.
Dropped beats, wide complex tachycardia. I had the holter on for 5 days. Its gone.

I make a very good living and privately paid to see every specialty there is.
endo, cardiologist, neurologist, psychiatrist, various gps had a mri brain then spine, heart with dye, echo heat,  mri stress, stress heart mri, the veins in my kneck and brain mri with dye. echo on my neck in various positions, everything!

The trigger for me was eating, it first happened 11 years ago completely out of the blue, the rush feeling... id no idea what it was.

Burning physical anxiety but no mental anxiety, it left as if i was beginning to die.

Then i went to a infectious disease consultant... he took 12 blood samples.. Lyme disease came back positive, he repeated the test and it came back positive, he did a third test to confirm which had to be sent to the UK it came back negative.

He treated me with large doses of antibiotics and within one week the pains and pinches stopped. I was on antibiotics for 6 months.

He said he didn't think it was Lyme but actually chlamydia pneumoniae.

Goto your gp and ask for the test. Then ask for a referral to a ID consultant for peace of mind even if it comes back negative.

Also bear in mind folks.. this is an important threat, please bookmark it and come back with updates of what you have discovered. its important, most people who get a cure never look it up again its only the ones who car to help others come back with updates.

I've had the same type of thing. It feels like my heart stops or spasms for a second and then beats again, quickly at first then slows. I can feel a surge go down my arms and then it sits strongly in my thumbs until my heart starts up again and I feel asthough I am not getting enough oxygen