Heart Rhythm Community
very strange heart sensation followed by adrenaline rush and fast heart...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

very strange heart sensation followed by adrenaline rush and fast heartbeat - very worried about this

Hi. I'm a 26 year old female, neither fat nor skinny, no smoking, only occasional alcohol use. Prior to what I'm about to describe, the only heart issues I had were: occasional flip-flopping feeling which knocked the wind out of me but only happened maybe a few times a year, and a sort of flip-flopping or difficulty beating when lying down on my left side (sometimes, not every time I lay this way - started around age 13).

Background: Three years ago something happened to me that I still haven't figured out - my heart started beating very fast and my BP went way up (so high that with every heartbeat I could see the tiny capillaries in my eyes as an overlay on my visual field). Paramedics couldn't bring them down so took me to "A&E" (aka the ER - I'm American but live in England). Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happened (that I'm aware of) prior to this incident, except for insertion of Mirena IUD one week prior - I do still have it but now think I'll have it removed.

Thus began months of seemingly random 'attacks' during which I'd get varying combinations of tachycardia, high BP, tremors esp in left leg, lightheadedness, inability to fully inhale, feeling of not getting enough oxygen even if I could breathe properly, and the list goes on. I also had a terrible feeling of physical anxiety (churning stomach, agitation, etc) but with no mental anxiety as the apparent cause!!! Attacks could last minutes or hours and any combination of symptoms would happen. And in between attacks, my heart would regularly do many strange things - tachy, brady, irregular rhythm, extremely forceful beats, 'flip-flopping' feelings, etc.

I also sometimes experienced a sensation of the heart stopping and restarting - immediately after the restart I would feel a MASSIVE, uncomfortable surge of adrenaline and the heart would beat very fast for a little while. I could never figure out if I was getting an adrenaline surge that caused some odd heart behaviour that I felt before I actually felt the adrenaline, or what. Sometimes my heart would also start beating EXTREMELY fast from resting for no reason at all - it was literally immediate - this was also accompanied by an adrenaline rush but no preceding feeling of the heart stopping.

These incidents gradually decreased in frequency over time, along w/ the other symptoms, until after three years I was feeling mostly recovered from whatever got me. I viewed myself as not entirely back to normal, but almost there. UNTIL a couple of days ago, when I had another (random as always - I was just riding in the car reading, no stress) heart stoppage -> restart -> adrenaline event. This one was the second most severe one I've ever had and I thought I might die. Luckily the heart DID start pumping again so I'm still here. By now I'm pretty familiar with flip-floppings and extra-strong beats, etc, and this definitely feels very different and much more worrying. I am afraid that if it happens again, the heart might not start on its own.

I should also say that when I say it 'stops', I mean it seems to stop pumping blood...I get the impression there is still activity going on in the heart but that blood is not being circulated. Could it be ventricular fibrillation, or ...? Maybe adrenaline is not causing this, but rather my heart goes into an abnormal rhythm and my body releases adrenaline in an attempt to self-shock into proper rhythm?

During the most severe incident in '06 or '07, my colleagues said I turned "white as a sheet" while it was happening. That time, I was clawing at my chest (reflex reaction, I didn't actually think that would help) and thinking "please start please start please start", knowing I'd die if it didn't. That time, it felt like the heart was quivering/fluttering but not pumping. All other times including the one a couple of days ago, it has sort of felt like the heart is contracting in extreme slow motion, or having some sort of muscle cramp.  

I cannot figure this out and would welcome any insight anyone has to offer. After it all began in 06, I had a stress test (slightly above avg exercise tolerance), echo (normal), stress echo (normal) and many ECGs. The cardio said my heart was perfectly healthy. No evidence of MVP (which I thought I might have). He said the only thing to remark on was that the heart was smallish, but not abnormally so.

My GP diagnosed me w/ 'anxiety attacks' w/out finding it necessary to order any physical testing whatsoever. (The above cardio is a friend of my parents who saw me while I was on vacation in the US). GP put me on citalopram which I went along w/ just to be cooperative, and propranolol to help regulate what he viewed as anxiety-induced tachy. Did not seem to find it significant that symptoms did not occur during periods of actual mental anxiety. Said it might be pheochromocytoma, but that he wouldn't bother testing as that's so rare. Ashamed to say I didn't and still haven't actually demanded said testing.

All ECGs were normal except once at A&E when they caught random very hard beats interspersed w/ regular beats - v. hard beats could be seen as an extra-long downward spike on the readout. Of their own volition (as opposed to at my request), A&E sent this to a cardio (different one) who didn't bother to look at it and just told me not to worry. Thanks, buddy! So, not really knowing how to interpret these readouts, I still don't know if that was significant.

I'm currently seeing a neurologist for delayed sleep phase syndrome. After hearing all this, he very kindly volunteered to arrange for me to use the clinic's Holter monitor; he'll then send the tape to a cardiologist. Not sure when this will happen, though, as it's the NHS (meaning things do not tend to happen promptly).

At the time of the latest incident, I was on amoxicillin but no other meds continuously, although I have been taking lansoprazole at night only, for a week and a half to two weeks. A few days prior to the incident, I had taken myself off of the pramipexole that I'd been on for a week, as I was having trouble swallowing (for which the amoxicillin and lanso were prescribed - possible sinus/throat infection or gastric reflux - doc and I wanted to attack on both fronts in order to avoid the return of the laryngospams I'd had during recent respiratory infection).

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help...
It sounds like anxiety, however, I would see a cardiologist for all this. You said you had seen one in 2006, well, I think I would see one again as your symptoms are not getting better and you are describing things that really only a qualified cardiologist can help you with.

Good luck and please keep us posted. I know how scary these things are, I have them, and at times, you really DO feel like you are going to die, it is the worse feeling ever, in my opinion.
Hi SassyLassie,

Thanks very much for replying! I didn't realize I'd written so much...I doubt anyone else read it :). I may see if I can get to a cardiologist, although unfortunately I can't afford to go private so don't have all that much control over the situation (don't know if you are familiar w/ the British NHS, but your GP has to deem it necessary to refer you to a specialist before you can see one - even then the wait can be long).

I find that some doctors tend not to take me very seriously because I am in my 20s (they assume that the most benign explanation for my symptoms must be the correct one, and say as much). The neurologist I'm seeing seems very good, though, so hopefully he will come through w/ the Holter monitor.

I'm not glad that you have a rambunctious heart too, but I am glad to know I'm not the only one thinking I'm on the verge of death during some of the incidents. Yes, it is the worst feeling ever.

Best of luck to you!

I get that same thing about 2 or 3 times a year.  It isn't the same as the pvcs.  You feel your heart pause for at least a couple of seconds.  Then it switches gears and speeds up.  Mine has been clocked at 220 beats per minute after one of those pauses.  My doctor told me not to worry.  I did get the fast rate caught on tape and it was PAT (a form of svt I think)
My doctor said that the pause felt longer because of the timing of the early beat...then because it was a longer pause, it had time to switch pathways..thus the PAT.  I don't feel any quivering but my doctor said even though I feel nothing in my pulse that it could be beating really fast and weak and I just don't realize it.  Anyway, I was told not to worry so I'm passing that to you.  As long as you have been checked out.
Good luck with the monitor.  
Frenchie
Hi Frenchie,

Thanks so much for posting!!! It does sound like we're experiencing something very similar if not the same. It's good to know I'm not alone. Also good to know what your post-pause tachy has been categorized as...this gives me something to look into should I get checked out again.

I'm glad to hear your doc has given you the OK and this is definitely reassuring for me to hear in terms of my own situation as well. It makes more sense and is less worrying to think that the pause is just part of the oncoming tachy and not an actual stoppage in and of itself.
I can relate to a lot of what you wrote - I haven't clawed at my chest so much as gone into a catatonic state, frozen, hand over my heart or at my carotid, waiting for my heart to start again.

But I've also experienced that very strange sensation of adrenaline rush - for me it feels like a sickening woooosh, I feel flushed in the neck and face, sometimes I sweat a little.  For me it's usually after the episode is over.  First ten or so times it happened it was pretty frightening.  Then I got an event monitor, was able to record quite a few of them, and my cardiologist was unimpressed when she saw the strips.  Diagnosed as "short bursts of PAT" (aka PSVT).  She said I could go days with my heart in that rhythm and it would not harm me.

Oddly enough, once I learned these couldn't kill me, I started having less and less of them.
One other thing - I took a quick look at the side effects of the Mirena IUD, and many of the potential side effects are symptoms you're experiencing:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/mirena-side-effects.html#system_33551

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/mirena-iud.html

Thank you Wisconsin2007 - I did end up having the Mirena taken out at the beginning of Sept. Unfortunately I've still been having some palpitations and today had another scary stop-start event, but I've just had my first real period w/ PMS & everything in about 5 years, so I'm hoping that once my hormones settle down things may improve. Either way, I am just trying to focus on what you and Jkfrench have said, because it sounds like I've got what you've got and it can't kill us. Still waiting on that Holter...
Also thanks for detailing that you also sometimes get the adrenaline rush - this is has been a worrying aspect of the episodes for me as others don't generally seem to describe this. But if you've got something similar on tape as PVST, I think that's a lot more likely to be the issue for me than my heart stopping and adrenaline being released to achieve a shock-paddle effect, which is what sometimes worries me.

I will post here again if I find out anything further about what's behind my symptoms.
You managed to describe your symptoms in a way that I was incapable of  telling my doctor and subsequently cardiologist when the exact episodes started happening to me in 2002. Then, after the ultrasound, EKG and Holter monitor, all the cardiologist could come up with was that one of the chambers of my heart was slightly enlarged, but nothing to worry about.

These attacks went away on their own but came back tonight for the first time in 8 years. The fear of my heart stopping is so great I'm afraid to go back to sleep...  The subsequent "adrenalin surge" is so great that I physically shoot up from bed by the shear force of the momentum of my heart "re-starting".

I can't say I'm under any unusual stress, but I did spend the entire Sunday (today) in the -5C outdoors building an ice rink. I did have about 4 glasses of red wine thereafter though.

Anyways, I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not alone and that the common diagnosis of doctor's is that there is nothing to worry about.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the electrical controls of the heart - perhaps slight changes to diet, environment cause it to temporarily malfunction.
I completely understand everything you wrote and have had similar symptoms.  I just read for the first time about this 'adrenaline surge' , and that it often happens at 4 - 5 in the morning, which makes a lot of sense, because that is when I have had the attacks I've had.  Almost every morning, I wake up at those times.  I have horrible attacks in which I feel like I'm going to die, I have an intense feeling that my heart doesn't beat enough or properly, and then these adrenaline surges, and then I feel much better.  
What I wonder is if these adrenaline surges happen as our bodies' defense to 're-start' our heart and keep us alive because our hearts really are, as we suspect, stopping... or if it's just anxiety and these sensations that are making our adrenaline surge.  How do you find out which came first??

The advice I want to give you though, is to check out your thyroid if you haven't yet.  Especially because of what you said about not having your period for so long.  I have a thyroid disease and I know that these heart-related attacks are connected to that, so check that out asap!
Hi, thanks for replying to my thread! It really helps to know that others are going through this and have not keeled over from it. Sorry to hear you've had another incident after so long :(. I completely understand about the fear it creates...it's terrible.

I also feel like there is something electrical going on here....just not sure exactly what that is or what triggers it. Perhaps it is PAT as a couple of the others have posted? I think that the tachy of PAT stops abruptly, though, whereas with my episodes it just trails off gradually into a normal speed after the adrenaline rush.
Hi Mayush, glad that you too have contributed your experience with this. It must be very stressful waking up most nights with this problem, not to mention how it must be giving you sleep deprivation. For me it doesn't tend to happen when sleeping, or if it does it doesn't wake me up. I do sometimes get irregular and/or very weak heartbeat at night, though (much more when this all began than recently, thankfully). No adrenaline after that for me, though...I just have to endure it until I fall asleep and then it's gone in the morning.

Thanks for the tip about thyroid...is yours overactive, or...? When this heart stuff started for me, I thought it might be that my thyroid was overactive, but the blood tests I had (tests as part of investigating my longer-standing night terrors, not the cardiac symptoms) at that time apparently came back normal for thyroid function.

However, I've heard some things about standard thyroid tests not being completely reliable, so I need to investigate that, I think. I did have another round of blood tests last year as part of being diagnosed with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, and the neurologist who reviewed the results said they indicated borderline sluggish thyroid and that I should have that tested again in the future. If your experience has given you any insight on the most accurate testing/interpretation, please share!

Thanks,

wundergecko
I too have had similar experiences.  Turned as white as a ghost, where complete strangers were asking me if I was ok.  I do have PAC's and tachy, but this is definitely different.  I am convinced my thyroid has something to do with this, but they just can't seem to catch it.  I am considering going to an endocrinologist to see if they can pinpoint something that my GP and cardio have not been able to catch.  My first episode was in 1997,  Best wishes to you and keep us posted on how you're doing.
Dear Wundergecko,
I'm not a medical doctor and therefore cannot give you any "legal"  medical advice.  However, I can tell you that I've suffered from almost the EXACT same symptoms that you have and the chances are very high that you have an anxiety disorder that is manifesting itself in panic attacks.  The trouble with this disorder is that most people that have it don't want to admit it and will (like I did for years) offer up any number of reasons why they don't have it.  I see myself in many of your comments (I was just sitting around not doing anything stressful, etc;)  Many of my worst attacks would come while I was in a hot bath tub completely relaxed and completely out of the blue.  After pressing the docs here in the United States to run every kind of test they could (several years after a massive panic attack sent me to the ER) they have concluded, and I as well, that i am in fact, a victim of panic attacks.  Tthis disorder is directly connected to some very traumatic events that took place in my childhood.  I am a survivor of sexual abuse as a child.  Sometimes deep trauma's that occurred in times past can cause panic attacks that don't surface until many years later.  In my case some 30 years later.  Here's the thing to know about panic attacks - some people will recover fully, some will recover partially, and some will never recover.  I still have incidences of these attacks and through therapeutic tools I've been given I've learned to cope with them although they are definitely not pleasant.  If you've never considered psychiatric care it might be something you want to look into.  Things to definitely avoid eating or drinking...anything that is spicy and anything that has caffeine in it.  When you begin to experience these symptoms just remind yourself that you're O.K., you're not having a heart attack and that you'll be fine in a minute.  The mind is very powerful drug and much better for you than the synthetic stuff the docs will prescribe.  If you, and your docs, think you would benefit from anti-depressants or drugs that can calm you down like Ativan (sp?) then try them but under direct medical supervision.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to anti-depressants.  Remember, these are psychotropic drugs that change the chemistry of the brain and correct dosages are vital.  It will take some time and experimentation under supervision of your doc to get the dosage right.   Thanks for sharing and hang in there!  You can learn to manage this disorder if in fact you discover that you have it.  i hope this helps you.  PEACE
OMG.....I  been having the same thing happen to me for the past 30 years and after doctor after doctor  no one seems to give me a diagnosis other than "anxiety".I dont agree because I work in a Hospital and I am able to take my own vital signs. I have heard my heart beat fast 150bpm then come to a complete stop (no blood pressure) this only last a couple of seconds so it hasnt beed got on monitor or EKG. I am 49 years old and if I have to live like this the rest of my life I sure dont wamt to live it this way. The feeling of an absent of heart beat is very scary so I think the anxiety is second to another cause of disease....
keep me posted on any new diagnosis
Hi Insidescoop1,

Thanks for your comment - it was very interesting to read about your experience. I definitely do have anxiety issues (and OCD) and can get extremely worried on top of my frequent periods of generalised/background anxiety, but the symptoms rarely if ever happen when I'm consciously anxious, so my thinking has been, "If it doesn't happen when I'm extremely worked up, but does happen apparently randomly, how can it be caused by anxiety?" But I don't know. Do you have any thoughts on this issue? Maybe subconscious anxiety can provoke the symptoms, if there is such a thing as subconscious anxiety.

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through as a child, but it is very interesting to see the connection that you have made between that and your panic attacks. I wasn't abused, but I was extremely sensitive as a child and I think that some emotional issues in my family may have damaged me when they would not have done as much damage to most kids. I did get late-onset night terrors (had them aged 17 - 22, now have night-time hallucinations), which apparently are correlated with having experienced extreme trauma.

I have been noticing, since I wrote the original post, that as I am becoming more comfortable socially after a lifetime of being pretty inept, I am getting the heart-stopping-then-adrenaline thing when meeting new people. So that could be a clue that this is an anxiety problem, but in my own case I'm still not fully convinced...I think it is more likely that there is a physical issue that is exacerbated by anxiety and other (unknown) factors.

How long do your panic attacks tend to last? I sometimes get what I call "episodes", where I feel like I'm going to die, get the heart-stopping thing, can't breathe properly, etc - but apparently panic attacks don't last very long, and my episodes can last for a couple of hours.
Hi vangie2010,

That sounds so scary! I've never been taking my pulse or BP while it happens, so haven't actually been able to confirm in that way that the heart stops, but it certainly feels like it.

I will post to this thread if I find out anything more. It's good to know you've made it to 49, although I do get what you mean about not wanting to live with this due to the worry it causes. I was feeling that way when it started, but have made some progress on not worrying as much about it. I try to look at it like, it's happened many times now and I'm always OK, so I'm going to continue being OK as long as the heart itself is healthy. Easier said than done to always remain positive, though. Best of luck to you!
I went to see my heart doctor on Friday and he asures me that its not my heart...but the thing is when ever I get the feeling that my heart stops ( and dont get me wrong it only stops for a couple of seconds) it has not been got on EKG or while wearing the heart monitor. When I told the doc about it he blew me off as I were crazy so tomorrow I am going to call to see another specialist to get a third opinion. How do I get these Doctors to understand that the feelings are real and not  made up from anxiety?
Does anyone have a doctor or specialist that really believes that the feelings are real and not just anxiety?
I live in Houston,Texas but I am willing to go were ever it takes to find the right doctor that knows how to treat this medical issue. ( its something more than just anxiety ) it has to be: I have heard it and I have seen it on the B/P machine.
I have been living with this for years but it wasnt til a couple of weeks ago that I found this web site and started to read that I am not alone there are other peolpe out there with the same problem.  I have not read anything positive like "treatments"or surgery that has helped with the symptoms. Has anyone out there found the right doctor that has found the cure for "heart pounding, flip flops,or heart stoppage? Please let me know
I am at my last bit of hope of ever getting better.

Good Luck.....
This doe NOT sound like anxiety!! .. To many people jump to anxiety when the adrenals are involved.. The heart races, the body sweats, tremors and shakes can occur. Dizziness, foggy-head can happen too... Look into POTS. It is a dysautonomia (dysfunctional autonomic nervous system) ..The blood pressure fluctuates tremendously, and the heart reacts... POTS is similar to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or, M.E... It is just centered around the heart and blood pressure. .. Low blood sugar can attribute to this as well perhaps. So eating a diabetic diet can help a lot for some people.
Your OP sounds very similar to what I have been going through most of my life.  It's terrible and I don't think many cardios care much about what we go through.  As a matter of fact, something started happening to me last month that was new.  I have been to the emergency room and calling my cardio all the time and requesting emergency appointments too.  I actually am thinking I am the joke of the office.  I think everyone who works there looks at me funny.  You know, like I'm nuts.  

I have had numerous tests.  Some recent tests too.  I was on a monitor for a month, but nothing showed up.  It was a month I wasn't feeling anything either.  Now I'm scheduled for another 24 hour monitor.  Probably nothing will happen then either.

For some reason the medication I have been on for years just seemed to stop working.  I am taking Norpace.  Anyway, I talked the cardio into lowering the dosage.  It doesn't help.

Here's what happened.  My blood pressure started lowering and my heartbeat started slowing down.  My pulse is irregular too.  I feel dizzy sometimes and faint.  My stomach feels weird and I get a shot of adrenaline which I can feel through my chest.  It speeds up my heart and my blood pressure goes up.  I feel better when my blood pressure goes up along with my heartbeat.

I can't seem to make the doctor understand this.  When I'm in the office she sees nothing wrong on my EKG or listening to my heart.  She said there is nothing wrong with my heart rate dropping to the 60s and my blood pressure dropping down to 90/60.  

What's wrong with it is I feel very bad when this happens.  She has lowered my dosage of Norpace at my insistence, but it is still happening.  She said she wants to take me off Norpace altogether and put me on Toprol if it keeps happening.  I have had many medications tried on me over the years.

BTW, taking Xanax has no effect on the heart rate ect. because I tried that too for anxiety.  

My problem is I am to heart aware and feel every single skip ect.  This slowing down stuff is the worst though.  Worse than anything else I have had to live with for years.  It goes on all the time now.  No relief.
This sounds exactly like whats been happening to me the last few days, though right before the heart "restarts" there is a sharp intense pain that last only a second or less. Followed by a wave of adrenaline and rapid heart beat. This has only occurred while laying down in bed however and every time wakes me up from sleep. It has occurred off and on over the last year or longer seems to happen more often during times of emotional or mental stress (looming deadlines and workload, relationship woes, etc.) The last two nights I've been running on little to no sleep while staying up working on finals, and the incidents both occurred early morning (around 4:45 am) after laying in bed and having only just drifted off to sleep. It is important to mention that I had taken adderrall (20 mg) at roughly 8 pm the evening before both incidents.

Here is my OP:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Rhythm/Woke-up-with-sharp-heart-pain-and-palpitations-back-to-back-mornings/show/1253176
Hi, thanks for posting - you are right, I've got a lot of dysautonomic-type stuff going on. For a while (back when I "just" had unexplained palps, tachy, blood pressure issues, etc) I was convinced that I had mitral valve prolapse syndrome without the mitral valve prolapse. I don't quite fit the profile for POTS, though, as although my BP doesn't always react properly when changing position, it does stabilize OK these days once I stay standing / lying down.

I do think my nervous system is out of balance, but think there are probably also additional things going on as contributing factors...
Hi, thanks for adding your experience. I know what it's like not to have this show up on a monitor - frustrating (even though we don't actually WANT them to happen, of course). Can't remember if I've mentioned this in the thread, but I had a 24-hour Holter courtesy of my neurologist and the start-stop thing didn't happen. I'm not sure if he looked at it himself or if a cardiologist saw it, but he told me that it was normal - there some tachycardia, but the normal and harmless kind (can't remember what that's called now - SVT?).

I do get what feels like low BP and slow & irregular heartbeat sometimes, but thankfully not as much as I used to. This happens mostly at night but doesn't seem to cause the start-stop thing for me. I wish you the best of luck in figuring out your symptoms!!! We have to be our own advocates, although it isn't always easy.
Hi agarriso - read your post - that sounds very unpleasant! I feel for you. I don't get pain with my stop-starts, thankfully, or it would be even more disturbing. I have had pain with a few very hard PVCs/PACs, though - I think in those cases it's probably the heart muscle stretching slightly with the force.

I do have palpitations related to another type of chest pain, though - "trapped wind" as they call it here in England. I don't know what we say in America, but what I'm talking about is having air bubbles pressing on stuff in the abdominal and chest cavities as they're moving on through. This never used to cause palps for me, but it does now, and this freaked me out initially. I have since found that there are plenty of others on the 'net and on these boards who get the same thing, though. I also now sometimes get palps as a result of certain stretching exercises, lying on my left side, being squeezed too tightly, even bending at the waist!

My best guess is that in addition to my acid reflux, I've got a hiatal hernia and this is either causing pressure on the heart or on the vagus nerve or both. So my point is, you may have some kind of internal pressure thing going on, especially in light of your sternum/collarbone issue, and in my experience and that of others, pressure can trigger palps.
I think sometimes I must be a freak of nature.  At least being here now helps.  

For many years I was  on medication that was keeping the skips away and my high norm BP regular more or less.  It also keep my high pulse normal.   I only had thumps once in awhile and surely could live with that.  I was on Norpace 150 CR twice a day along with Toprol (not long acting) 50 mgs twice a day.  All of a sudden a couple of years ago my heart started slowing down and I had a dropping feeling in my stomach along with tunnel vision and almost passing out.  I went to my cadio who told me to cut the Toprol in half and take that twice a day along with the same Norpace dosage.

Everything went along well for about a year and it started again.  The Toprol was then cut to 1/4 a day and taken twice a day.  That went along fine for quite a while when it started again.  The Toprol was stopped and I was on only the Norpace 150 twice a day.  That was OK  for quite awhile until my heart started slowing down again last month.  It started with bending over and got worse to where my heart was skipping all the time and slow.  The past month I went to only one 150 mg Norpace a day.  My BP and heart rate just keep decreasing, was irregular and skipping, and I was dizzy a lot.  Now I'm down to Norpace 100mgs CR twice a day and my BP and heart rate are down and irregular.  I am now having a few good hours on and off during the day, but I don't want to leave the house even to go grocery shopping.  It is so uncomfortable.  It feels bad when my heart is pounding and very slow and irregular.  

I just don't get it.  I really don't.  

My cardio wants to put me on Toprol and no Norpace.  I think when the quality of life begins to go is when fear sets in.   I've never heard of having to reduce meds.  I've only heard of having to increase meds especially as one is aging.  That's why I feel like a freak of nature.
I got the saddest feeling when reading your post.  I've had problems almost all of my life.  I can remember at 13 feeling my first thump/skip/stop while playing outside in the snow and telling my mother.  She said since there was so much snow on the ground, it must be just from to much oxygen in the air.

I've been to so many doctors, cadios, and had so many tests through the years, but feel like I'm getting answers from all of them similar to my mother's first explanation.  

I've also wondered why there are no groups for us to talk about this stuff.  I mean there are groups for everything, no?  One thing is I am beginning to believe there is something hereditary with this.  My mother ended up having to have a pacemaker late in life and my aunt suffered from skips.  My son too, but with his EKGs the doctors say it isn't dangerous and he's lucky because he doesn't feel it.

God bless you.

Maybe going to an EP is an answer.  I haven't ever had a cardio tell me I need an EP and refer me to one even though I have asked.  You can't just go to them.  You have to be referred by a doctor.  My cardio now said she may go ahead and refer me for a second opinion.  

I have been told only two things about my heart.  One is I have a little less fluid around my heart then average and one is a wall of my heart has thickened slightly.   Otherwise I have a perfect heart.  Go figure.

Well.....I have gone back to see my cardio and EP and he told me "that I was crazy" that if my heart was stopping then I would not be sitting in his office,the feeling I get when the heart is stopping is "extra beats" or "skipped beats" and can feel as your heart is stopping. I still get this feeling but only when im under stress or anxiety. (I have had for most of my life) the feeling is very scary cause I dont know if my heart will start agsin or this will be the time thst it wont and I will die. I wish there was a doctor out there thst can read all these post so that someone can figue out what the hell is going on with all of us....
Good luck and keep me posted with any new info
I think it was pretty inappropriate for him/her to say you were crazy unless it was in a lighthearted way....this stuff is a very real problem for us regardless of what the actual cause or sequence of events turns out to be. Although of course it's good that presumably they've not found anything seriously wrong with your heart. I'm going for one more cardiac screening tomorrow, although I think it will just be a standard ECG.

Update on my situation:
I still have the stop-start incidents and 'normal' palps. The normal palps can now also be triggered by certain movements, which didn't used to happen. I'm guessing I have a hiatal hernia which has altered how my internal contents are situated, but I've got research fatigue at the moment so I haven't gotten around to checking out the manipulation techniques that are out there.

What's interesting is that I have now been able to note a pattern - the stop-starts can happen apparently at random, but more often these days they happen during a collision of 'performance pressure' in terms of getting things done, and social anxiety.

I find this kind of comforting...it makes me feel like I can control it a little by not getting so invested in what is happening around me, even though I know it can still happen with no apparent cause. Sometimes it seems like the normal palps can be kept in check by staying hydrated, getting enough sleep and not going too long without food, but then I'll get a day when I've done all that and I still have them off and on through the day, so I'm not sure.
I'm now wearing a King of Hearts monitor.  I've had all different kinds of monitors through the years.

Has anyone ever seen the TV show Mystery Diagnosis?  I saw an old one the other night.  It was about a man who had a racing heartbeat and was always taken to the ER to be converted.  The ER docs had to meds and finally after numerous trips to the ER ended up having to use electric shock to convert his heart.  It didn't mention if he went to a Cardo.

Finally, through a friend, he ends up at a sleep disorder clinic.  Would you believe once he used a C-Pap (sp?) every night his heart rhythm problems went totally away?

I feel like I am living in a Mystery Diagnosis episode.  Doctors just can't seem to handle this problem for me.  Soon, as in the show, that one doctor will come along that can fix me.   Wishful thinking.
That's very interesting, and I totally believe lack of rest can affect our hearts rate and rythym.  I have asked for a sleep study, b/c basically, I don't sleep...I always wake up exhausted.  The times the monitors have caught my racing and PAC's have been mostly at night, while I'm sleeping.  I'm going to ask again :)
That is interesting. I've got a sleep disorder (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome - don't get this - it is a drag) and also have had sleep testing that indicates lots of pulse rises during the night, which is apparently indicative of movement, which would mean less restful sleep (but my husband says I don't move around that much at night). I too want to get a full sleep study done...I've never done the staying-overnight thing but am hoping that's next.

I think everything in the body-mind is interconnected and as awesome as a lot of things about Western medicine are, it's not helpful that doctors don't tend to recognize that we're more like a spider's web than a bag of nuts and bolts.
is this similiar or NORMAL? Or what..

Sometimes ill notice my heart rate is say 90... and in a matter of a few seconds or 10 seconds it will be 75-80 and I FEEL It Drop. Like I literally FEEL it. I Don't Feel Pain but It feels like a Blood pressure Drop almost.

But when i check my blood pressure.. it kinda doesnt change more then 5-10mmgh.

What does it mean when you "feel" it drop 10-15 beats per minute according to your wrist watch moniter per say?

if your BP stays normal or over 90/60 and resting rate is above 50...

should i worry..
i hate this anxiety.
I wouldn't worry if it were me, but my heart rate has become pretty variable since all this stuff started happening to me...I wasn't paying too much attention to my heart before, so I don't know whether it would've been normal for me then or not. Watching my heart rate drop 10-15bpm in that timeframe wouldn't worry me now, but I've never had that feeling you describe of "dropping" in this context.
Finally, I found a page that does not make me feel like I am psychotic!

On July 27th I was walking in the mall.  I went into what the doctors described as an SVT.  Before this happened I noticed my heart fluttering a few times throughout the day.  My color went from my face, my body went cold and tingly from my fingers to my toes. 180BPM+, 196/166 BP - I was rushed to the hospital where my heart rate stabalized and stayed fluctuating for the next 18 hours from 100 to 125 while asleep in the Care Unit.

In the three weeks that have followed I have had ECG - Normal, Stress Test - Normal, Echo - Normal, Corratid - Normal, Leg Pressure - Normal, Blood Tests - all normal except moderate B12 deficiency.  I'm still getting the adrenaline feeling throughout the day.  Twice sometimes 10 times.  I feel like my body goes through waves of being great, waves of being bad.  I get a slight pain that lasts for less than a second near my heart area.  Left of sternum.  It feels like it always happens in the same three places.

The Doctor told me it's anxiety.  Let me make this clear.  I am 31, never had an issue, it wasn't anxiety at the mall.  YES, I'm anxious now... But that wasn't what sent me into this.

Hearing all of your experiences makes me comforted to know I am not alone in this.  Right now I'm on beta blockers.  I think I would like to come off them, as I feel lethargic.

I see where many of you have experienced this for many years.  That's good, helps me believe I'm not terminal!

Thank you for your posts, and if there is a doctor out there that has any answers, please! share!
It sounds like there are a lot of similarities between how things have started off for you and how it started for me. I'm sorry you're having to go through this but glad this thread had helped you feel less alone. Please keep us posted on your experience and remember that I've survived for years and now seem to be getting gradually better!
Hi there.

I have the same symptoms as you. Mine are very frequent...well they were until I started taking beta blockers. I still have it but much less.

Just a couple of things:

There's no way your ventricles would be fibrillating in these situations you're experiencing, you simply wouldn't be conscious. So don't worry about that. It's just not possible with what you've explained. So don't worry about that one.

It may be A-fib...or possibly ecoptic beats. I have felt these pauses a lot too. The worst one I had was around 6 months ago.

I felt a sudden chest pain (I had just eaten a big meal) and I felt my heart sort of pause or as if my heart sent out a beat in slow motion. I felt dizzy for a second, and it was as if a switch turned on and my heart went CRAZY. It shot up and raced for about 10 minutes at about 150bpm. Then went back to normal. But i was shaky and felt generally really weird afterwards. I honestly think a huge factor in this was the stress of it. I instantly freaked out over the chest pain and went into a panic. Throwing me into PAT, which I have.

The only answer really is to see an Electrophysiologist.

I am having an EP Study and an ablation in exactly two weeks, and am looking forward to finding out what exactly is going on. I've been diagnosed with a few things from different doctors...Sinus Node Dysfunction, Junctional Tachycardia, Atrial Tachycardia, Ecoptics. My Electrophysiologist is pretty sure I have two of the above. They caught me in a Junctional Tachycardia (reentry somewhere near the AV Node) @ 160bpm.

A hernia can cause irregular beats but it sort of depends how irregular they are, and how fast your heart gets etc. If your heart rate is fairly rapid, I doubt it would just be caused by the hernia. Has your doctor diagnosed you with this?

@Memphisgb: I really feel for you, because I know what it's like to be told it's just anxiety. Keep pushing for a proper diagnosis. They need to realise the condition causes the anxiety, that it's not just anxiety on its own. It sounds like a reentry tachycardia to me! What I normally find is that I have an SVT attack, and then after the attack I have a panic attack because I'm so freaked out by what has just happened. It's like the SVT creates a surge of adrenalin because your mind is going Ahhhh! WTF is happening.

You also said you felt weird beats in the mall prior to the attack happening...this is fairly typical of a reentry tachycardia. PACS, PVCS and Ecoptics are all known to trigger or set off a reentry tachycardia. People often say they feel premature beats just before it happens.

Look into seeing an Electrophysiologist if you haven't already.

: ]

Hi sian333, thanks for your post. It would be great to see an electrophysiologist, but I doubt it will happen until/unless I can afford to do it privately. As fantastic as the British National Health Service is (and it is really good), they will not be sending me to an EP anytime soon as all of the tests I've had so far have come back pretty much normal and I'm young. I haven't been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia but haven't tried to be diagnosed, either...as I understand it they wouldn't do anything about it anyway (except prescribe acid suppressants which I would decline as I think they can cause more trouble than they're worth in some people). I've read a little about the manipulation techniques that claim to get everything back into place, but am kind of alarmed by the idea so haven't tried it. I'm trying chewable DGL while I figure out what to do next about my reflux, etc.

Based on the date of your post, I think you will have had your ablation by now - hope it's gone well!!

General update: can't remember if I've mentioned this in the thread thus far, but I'm hypermobile (stretchy joints) and have some other symptoms of genetic connective tissue disorders, some of which are associated with autonomic nervous system instability. My GP has put me down for a referral to someone who he says can diagnose me (or not), so it will be interesting to see what information comes from that. I will update here if I find out anything relevant.

I just wanted to give you all a little hope--- since i was 18 years old i have started with pretty much all of the symptoms ---etc all of you have been through!!!!  I also want to say at every age it has been diagnosed as anxiety disorder---and no it was not!!! It has come and gone over the past several years i am now 48 years old.  

In the past 3 years i have undergone more stress in my life than i have ever had --very bad divorce--taking care of elderly parents living with me --mom had 9 storkes and 5 heart attacks-- dad alz.   I too am a sensitive person and i had to step up to the plate and do all for them..... Each time i would go to ER with Mom uresponsive   yes i would feel anxiety---but not the crazy shaky etc that had for years!!!  So take it from someone who speaks for experience start a log of your symptoms what you eat--the weather etc-------over the years we have been finding a link between chemical and food sensitivies etc---small doses of steriods for flares..........but do pay attention to your acid reflux etc as i have over the past 4 years developed small bowel obstructions etc---and have learned anytime my body gets an infection all of the symptoms flare----------my latest bout started 2 weeks ago having pain in lower right quadrant ---right sided neck swelling as always and the horrible heart race-very shaky---trembles---and high fever...lasted about 5 hours ---at nice-----and that morning look bout 6 mos pregnant and again with bowel issue--and again try to find someone to listen.
Document---research and become your own best advocate --because you will always be told anxiety---but my Mom had heart issues for years and look what happened-----my daughter 20 has issues and my one son 14 they just found a 20 percent drop in his pressure from sitting-laying and standing/ etc go figure---and he has seasonal allergies also.........I know how hard this is-----my ex never beleived me--my only fear is that if i ever have a heart attack how would i know --i always have something going on.............And by the way when i was young "nerves"  in my thirties " anxiety" fourties" stress" and now that i have gone thru the change "postmeniposal"   I do beleive that hormones and allergic have alot to do with it!!!  As i did notice that 2 of you had been outside working alot the first day.    I have felt better when i am not outside at high allergan times etc------good luck all and pray.......
I JUST HAD THIS SENSATION... I WAS ALMOST SLEEPING WHEN IT FELT LIKE MY HEART STOPPED BEATING THEN THE ADRENALINE THAT WENT FROM MY STOMACH TO MY CHEST AND THEN MY HEAD... IT MAKES ME GASP THEN COUGH. WHAT A SCARY THING. I HAVE HAD MANY EKG'S AND STRESS TEST AND 24 HR HOLTER MONITOR AND ALL WHICH HAVE COME BACK AS TACHYCARDIA BUT DR'S SAID THAT IT IS NORMAL. I DO HAVE POTS AND HAVE FOR MANY YEARS... THIS IS LIKE THE 3RD TIME IT HAS HAPPENED AND I AM SCARED TO EVEN LAY BACK DOWN TO SLEEP =(    HAS ANYONE FIGURED OUT WHAT THIS REALLY IS?
I don't think anyone can say for sure what exactly is going on, unfortunately...like you I've had ECGs and a Holter and this type of incident has never happened during those times so hasn't been recorded. I don't think I've ever had it happen to me while lying down, but I do get 'normal' palps often when laying on my left side or with any kind of pressure that makes my insides press against my heart, really. So it's worth looking out for stuff like that to see if you can identify any triggers...
Hi Wundergecko,
I had Mirena inserted 12/27/10. A day or two later I started with panick attacks, anxiety and depression. I told my self to give it more time. January 11th I start feeling short of breath, and have chest pains. Jan 12th I felt like my heart stopped, I was just laying down and I could actually hear my heart beating hard and feel it without putting my hand over my chest then all of a sudden I cant feel it anymore. I slapped my hand over my chest to make sure I wasnt going crazy, but I swear I didnt feel a beat. I jump out of bed feeling like im going to pass out(tunnel vission, loud ringing in ears every noise around me starts to get lower and i got a rush of cold over my body), and start jumping and shaking my hands and bam I feel my heart racing again. I honestly thought I was going to die. So I went to the doc. they did blood work to check my thyroid and other things. Went to a cardiologist and am currently wearing a hear monitor, and had an ultrasound today. I had another eppisode today around 10:40, Im hoping the monitor caught it, I pressed the button. This is so scary..I blame Mirena..Ive had heart palpitations before but nothing like this. Im so worried it could be something worse. I just hope we all get better and this stops...

Vangie2010,
Im also from Houston, Tx. Please let me know if youve found a good doctor that doesnt just write it off as anxiety.
Hi raquel89,
Sorry to hear this has happened to you :(. It's good that you've gotten a monitor so quickly though, and that you were hopefully able to record this event. Please let us know the results!!
I do now think it is pretty likely that the Mirena was a big factor in starting off my symptoms, whether it was as a result of sensitivity to levonorgestrel, an autoimmune reaction or some other mechanism of action. However, I am now doing much, much better, so just to say - I'm still here!
Hi All.  I'm with you all the way.  Just had another episode myself (I am a long term SVT sufferer) while I was doing a slight jog across a busy road.  I have had many of the symptoms described here so I won't go into that again.  My concern is how we live our lives with these challenges.  People in general, and some of the doctors it seems, just can't put themselves into our shoes.
On two occasions my ECG readouts, taken whilst I have been having SVT have gone missing, leaving only the readouts with normal beats for the consultants to look at.  Not to mention the lack of understanding by our family and friends.  I think it's because we just don't fit into the classic 'clutching the chest in agony' model seen on TV dramas.  The symptoms we suffer are wide and varied and VERY unpleasant.
Anxiety follows, obviously, and before long we are afraid to go out and live.  I have suffered from Agoraphobia because of this - and still have problems now.  You feel anxious as soon as you walk out the door, therefore exacerbating the problem with your heart.  In most cases, it seems, all readings show fairly normal, healthy hearts, but it don't feel like it to us.  
Be content with this fellow sufferers.  It's forums like this that are the real therapy.   The encouragement we can give each other goes a long way to helping us to face life - as hard as it can be.
I am a 59 year old female and believe I am as healthy as I could possibly be.  I eat right, exercise, maintain a healthy weight and for all intents and purposes I look and feel fantastic EXCEPT FOR the issues discussed in this forum.  I have the missed heartbeats when lying down, on the left side in particular.  I also get the adrenalin rush when it happens to me in public because I am afraid of looking like a fool.  Monitoring it closely for the last month I notice it happens more often after I eat carbohydrates (but not always!); if I lie down after eating; if my body temperature rises; if I need to go to the toilet (both).  It will also happen for what seems no reason whatsoever (so frustrating).  I have been to emergency and had a complete bloodwork all negative; my cholestrol levels are as exceptionally good; my blood pressure is also good and I constantly get good bills of health.  I have had a history of panic disorder but have not experienced panic attacks for a very long time and take no drugs, only Xanax why I fly.  I am reluctant to put it down to anxiety or panic disorder.  My doctor thinks that it is strictly a digestive problem, something to do with the vagus nerve, and in fact so did the doctors at emergency, so I am going to run with that.  Now I just need to fix it!!  
Go to this website, it may help:

http://forum.asktheneurologist.com/post-neurology-questions-f6/arrhythmia-caused-vagus-nerve-t396.html
Hey Everyone,

I have to say its bitter sweet to see you all here as I have been going thru this since I was 18, 23yrs now...The flip flopping you feel I always described as it feels like my heart is rolling over! After many Doctors and Cardio's looking into this there is a few things that are medically suspect, I have MVP, and PVC's, I went to see the head cardiologist at Strong Memorial Hospital, Its a medical University for those that don't know this place...anyway I was told by that cardio team that the flip flop is a result of the beats firing at the same time instead of one then the other, so when they fire at the same time we cant feel the heart beat so it feels like it stops...the adrenaline rush after is because when this occurs your heart fills with blood and when the valves go back to a normal rhythm the first normal beat has to push that over full blood out...so it feels like it hits very hard when it restarts...and then we are nervous and then our heart beats fast because we get worried there for a few sec...I hope this sheds a little light your way...

If one thing can be said, its this WE are going thru this it is real...and none of us are alone...

BTW my cardio's said this was nothing to worrie about either so...it sure is scary when it happens....
Hey, I've got this too. I will try to describe it.
As the fast feeling steps in everything changes in my mind. As like if I have taken some drug and I feel a rush of adrenalin in my brain. The sounds are altered also. I can hear every little tone. My senses are different. Everything I touch is somehow different and even new. I have tried to find some information about this and I came up to this web site, where everything is described very well - http://www.fastfeeling.co.cc/
Hey everybody - just checking in to say that this still sometimes happens to me but I'm still here!

Still don't know what it is, but as a couple of others have mentioned, it may have an association with the vagus nerve. The other day it happened in conjunction with a terrible pain in the left side of my neck, which was new...it's usually pain-free for me except for occasional mild chest discomfort. I've also been getting neck pain in association with stomach gas moving around, and I have worsening acid reflux. I guess it's time to figure out how to get my digestion straight!

Good luck everyone...
Well, it's 4:24am here and tonight (I really, really hope it's only for tonight) I seem to have developed SVT triggered by...

.

.

.

...falling asleep. Staying awake all night seems to be safe, but sleeping is not :(. Twice I've started clicking over into sleep and both times I go tachycardic like flipping a switch. I've never been diagnosed with SVT, but am guessing that's what it is because I stopped the first one by splashing cold water on my face and the second by Valsava maneuver.

*sigh*

Not really what I need. I don't suppose any watchers of this thread have experienced anything similar?

I dug around in my purse and found a very aged blister pack of propranolol with one pill left in it, which I've taken. I'm hoping this will allow me to sleep safely at some point.
My most severe episodes have happened during the night. Last night was bad for me too....kept drifitng off....and suddenly waking to my fun, fun heart acting crazy. Finally fell asleep around 2:30. I hope you finally got some much needed rest.
You might want to read about nocturnal panic attacks.  They are not at all the same as the daytime variety, and they tend to occur after 1:30am:

"Nocturnal panics usually occur between one and four hours after the onset of sleep, and many people have actually said that nocturnal panic is even more severe than daytime attacks.  These nocturnal panic attacks are very different from daytime attacks in that there is no physical activity causing the arousal and that the person is actually in a relaxed state with lowered blood pressure, reduced respiration and reduced heart rate. "

http://psychtreatment.com/panic_disorder_panic_attacks.htm

Here's more info (and google will find you yet more):

http://nocturnalpanicattacks.com/
Hey Yarrow....I do have nocturnal panic attacks, but they are different than what I'm talking about here. What happened to me last night when I was falling asleep is the myoclonic jerk. My doctor explained it to me in detail. I don't react so well to adrenaline, so I wake and have the tachy...pac's, pvc's, etc. It's almost like my brain is falling asleep...I would imagine this is like the aura before a seizure...really weird. This usually continues for hours. It doesn't happen all the time, but a few times a month, and sometimes more than once a week, depending on how tired I am...and I am exhausted right now..and I can't seem to catch up. I have had numerous nocturnal panic attacks, hyperventilation (sp), cotton-mouth, rapid, irregular heartbeat, nausea, cramping, urge to urinate and so on, you know the drill :) The two cannot be confused. I'm not sure if what I'm describing is what Wundergecko is feeling but I can say that neither are any fun  :)
That is a good website and very accurate on causes. I do have GERD, laryngospasms and I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea, but my doctor won't allow for a sleep study :) I snore, have a deviated septum, insanely terrible allergies and most of the spring cannot breathe through my nose. And, as you well know, I'm extremely high-strung...whew...no wonder I can't sleep! lol...Thanks for sharing the site :)
Hi Rilesnic,

It sounds like we are experiencing something very similar! Sorry to hear you have this type of experience too, but I'm glad you posted - makes me feel less alone  with my bizarre reactions to sleep :).

When you say you don't react well to adrenaline, I think that's exactly what's going on with me too. The majority of the time I'm pretty much OK, but some nights are so bad with palps and all kinds of other varying, symptoms that I think I might die. As with you, it can go on for hours.

I think what happens with me is some kind of way over-exaggerated survival response. Some say that the myoclonic jerk is a leftover from when people or pre-people spent more time in trees - the jerk would happen to wake us up and keep us from falling out of the tree. I think that on some nights my survival-wake-up response goes crazy and I then have to deal with surges of adrenaline right as I'm falling asleep.

I also get night-time hallucinations...probably a separate issue, but it might be part of the same 'glitch'.

"Terrible Night Syndrome" for me has never included SVT that I've been sure about, and in fact any tachycardia ever caught on ECG before has, to my knowledge, been sinus tachy. So I was a little down about it this weekend as I don't need another thing on the "stuff that's wrong with me" list, but I'm getting over it now. Many people have far poorer health than I do and are still living their lives, the SVT hasn't happened again and I'm hoping it never does but I know what to do if it happens.

I didn't get any sleep the night I posted, but I did get a little the next day and I've had two good nights since. I think that my GERD and probably haital hernia definitely contribute to my heart issues through irritation of or pressure on the vagus nerve, so the upside is that this has caused me to get serious about lifestyle measures to reduce this irritation.

Sorry to hear about your apnea, allergies, etc - I've not had to deal with that but I have had laryngospasms, which are terrible, especially if you don't know what they are.
Hi, I'm 26 years old and have been fretting about similar issues disscused in this forum. I too have an issue deciding whether it is a Panic attack that I am having or its a Heart condition. I have the dropping of the heart sensation or flip flop that lasts for a couple seconds that stops anything that I'm doing at the moment followed by a raised heartbeat and slight chest pain. These episodes last from 15 - 45 minutes. It has definitely gotten worse over the past year, which was happening more often as the year progressed. It's now up to a almost daily issue for me. It has definitely given me a fear of being alone and not having support from loved ones when this happens. My wife is telling me I'm having panic attacks and that I shouldn't worry about it so much because I'm not overwieght, I'm too young for a heart attack, and I'm definitely stressed out by my family (father, mother, and sister) and many other stresses in life. I agree I am overly stressed at times, but the feeling I get when I have an "episode" is quite overwhelming to associate it with just stress. Reason for me writing on this forum is from me being woke up at 4:00 AM and feeling strange heart palpitations and followed by the usual fear, fast heart rate, and slight chest pain. I am a massage therapist and definitely know the difference between a muscle pain and organ pain. I also had a Kidney stone last year that I was able to pass which help me differentiate organ pain from muscle. I've had a doctor visit about 2 months ago about this and was had blood tests done and EKG machine or whatever. nothing out of the norm there....

My thing is this happens Randomly, I can't pin point any triggers that would cause this. I think the thing that worries me the most is not knowing whats going on. If I did I would have something to work towards and feel better about being on the path of fixing it.

This past saturday I had the worst one yet, all the normal symptoms but combined with tingling on strictly the left side of my body, mostly my extremities and face. It wasn't numb but it felt like it was on the verge of it... This really lead me to believe something was definitely wrong. I will be going to the doctor sometime within a week so maybe i can shed some light on my issue because it is affecting my sleep schedule.

Seeing this forum has helped me know this kind of thing happens to alot of people and that I'm not alone in this issue. It has put my mind at rest momentarily until my next episode. Thank you all for having this thread. I will post things on here as I know whats going on hoping that I can help the next person see that they are not crazy when everyone around you seems to think so. Good luck to all of us.
You should go see a cardiologist to rule out anything heart wise...they could do a monitor for a length of time say 24hr; 48 hr or 30 days etc to see if they can find what's going on.
Your post is missing one very important piece of information: How fast was your heart rate?  The terms "palpatations", "raised heartbeat" are very broad terms.  Someone may think 125 is very fast.  Personally my "very fast" is 250, or twice as fast.  This can be a major determining factor as to whether you're having a panic attack or an episode of SVT. If you don't know how to do it already, you should learn to feel your pulse in your wrist, or my favorite location, my neck.  Once you locate your pulse, you need to time it to determine the just how "fast" it is.  Armed with this data, you can give your doctor (and us) a better picture of your symptoms. From my experience, as well as other here on the forum, GP physicians will often diagnose you as having anxiety disorder.  Why? Because an EKG may show a perfectly normal heart, when in fact your actual condition is concealed, and to be perfectly honest, they don't trust or believe your personal report of your symptoms.  When you go to them with a log of the times, and heart rates, it gives them a better idea of what is going on. If they see rates from 180 to over 250, they will begin to look beyond panic attacks.  Quite often, they will prescribe a 24hr Holter monitor that carry around with you.  Unfortunately, 24 hrs. usually isn't anywhere near long enough to capture.  I had SVT for 54 years, yet during that time, a physician never saw a waveform from me.  Fortunately, I had something of a record of having SVT.  I was hospitalized initially as a child, and then again at 21 years at Deborah Heart Hospital for general "probing" where an episode was induced during a catheterization procedure.  Finally, a new cardiologist has the sense to prescribe a 30 day minitor, and that's when several events where graphically captured in both the initiation as well as the conversion.  Now that they saw, they believed, and I was pushed towards cardiac ablation which was very successful.

So:
Measure your heart rate
log the events
provide greater detail than broad terminology

Good luck!
Thank you for your words, I'll definitely remember to check my pulse whenever it comes around again. Although when my heart starts to race I do feel that it is the anxiety kicking in after the feeling I feel in my heart. My heart rate never goes up on its own, its always attached to the fear of whats happening to me. The feeling I get I can only describe as a flutter, drop of the heart, or flip flop of the heart and is attached to some pain as it throbs. Its a strong enough sensation to stop whatever it is I'm doing. There is a strong possibility that I am just having Panic attacks due to my stress at my moment in life. And if it is I'm very sorry for being one of the people who is freaking out over nothing and complaining to people who have actual problems. All I know in my head is that it has progressively gotten worse and I feel it is at its peak being that it happens almost daily. I have a great wife and 2 year old child that I both love very much and the thought of having to leave them is horrifying. Again this is anxiety I feel after I have my strange feelings in my heart. I do plan to go see a cardiologist so I can put my mind at ease and hopefully live without fear of dropping on the floor because of how regular this is happening to me. To me in this case, better safe than sorry. Thank you both for responding, I just want the tools to better myself, just don't know which ones I need....  
Had another episode, and was able to catch my heart rate which was roughly 140 bpm constantly for about 45 minutes. This one almost made me get up and go to the hospital. Had slight numbness and tingling again on the left side only and slight chest pain. Again this happened when I was just going about my daily thing not thinking about anything worry some and then my heart started to flutter and I felt tired, followed by the racing heart into the anxiety, numbness, and slight pain. I feel like I'm trapped by this and can't live normally. Although I had my sister come over to just be here for me she says her friend has the exact same problems and she is diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks and has meds to help suppress it. Even the numbness in one side was one of her symptoms. This is quite exhausting because I'm just waiting for the next one to show up. Any new thoughts on the situation???
Hi Jedisight - sorry to hear this is happening to you. Does the fast heartbeat begin and end suddenly? This is a characteristic of SVT. Also, when it happens, have you tried any of the methods that are used to stop SVT - for example, Valsava maneuver or splashing cold water on your face?
Hi - my symptoms are very similar to yours.  They are totally random but occur approx once a month. I cannot express to u how absolutely frustrating it was to go into the cardiologist for the first time.  One look at me and I could see the doctor totally not taking me seriously!!  I was 38, tan, in-shape, quite a bit younger than the others sitting in the waiting room. He made a joke about my symptoms and sent me on my way telling me it was panic attacks.  I tried to accept this but I knew deep in my heart of hearts that something was just not right!  I am a sports fanatic and have always been very in tune with my body. Besides that I have a pretty happy life with not much stress.  Well, after a couple more ER visits and two more doctors here I am 4 years later and I am finally getting to the bottom of this. I have been diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia with av nodal reentry. I was put on metoprolol 3 yrs ago which has been making me feel pretty exhausted and has given me bradycardia (a slow heart rate).  My next step is ablation - which was recommended.  In the live chat on this site yesterday on arrythmias I was able to ask the dr. a question about the metoprolol and he said the ablation was a good idea because younger patients do not seem to do well on the metoprolol. I guess my point to u is to not just accept the panic attack diagnosis if u really feel there is more to it.  Try a new doctor and ask to wear a monitor for a month or if u feel symptoms stop in a walk in clinic and get it recorded. If u can get a recording it will make things a lot easier.  Best of luck to u.
I've thought about SVT but when my heart races it seems to be attached to the fear I have when I go through an episode not really feeling it slow down and get faster randomly. I've had 3 days of of hardly any sleep, probably about 8 hours worth and random naps that i take throughout the day. They've been happening more and more at night now it seems, with small managable palpatations throughout the day. I won't go through all the feelings i have when these happen because just like everyone else there's different symptoms for different people and so many of them. I on the other hand, partlysunny, do have stress and am working towards fixing them day by day. My Father is a very stressful and negative person about alot in life and my mother is one of the most worry-some people I know. So I am taking in to account that I may possibly be having stress induced panic attacks. Yet that initial feeling still scares the hell out of me. When I have a bad episode I can't do anything that calms me down... I have tried splashing water on my face, drinking gatorade for electrolytes, acupressure stress relieving points, and other things you can find on the net by just searching. I've read up on the ablations as well, I hate the thought of surgery.... I know there's some non invasive procedures for it as well. And your right about the heart arrythmias, it totally feels like a couple of irregular heart beats that throw me off and starts an episode. Though I haven't had shortness of breath yet during an attack. But yesterday I was Extremely exhausted by little things but I do believe that was because of my lack of sleep. I started to play my drums and I play metal so it is a little bit of a workout. 4 minutes into to it I had to put my sticks down and catch myself, I felt exhausted for like 45 minutes afterwards... like I ran a hard mile without the panting. I'm going to a my GP tomorrow so i can get a referall out to a cardiologist. I will be equipped with information on paper about my episodes so I can get all of the info out. I usually tend to draw a blank as soon as they start asking questions.... But I'll keep everyone informed as i get tests and the information my doctors give me, so the next person searching their symptoms can use me as an example to compare. Which has helped keep my mind in order and not thinking tooooo crazy .
welp, I went to the doctors today and they found nothing on the EKG again. I lost 16 pounds since my last visit in April which alarmed them a little bit. I do think loosing weight was stress induced but at the same time I was trying to eat healthier and drink more water, I also tried to be more active so i guess its a combination of things. My original doctor talked me through it and was a little more receptive than the main doctor who she wanted a second opinion on. He looked at me and started to be quite condecending to me. I told him yes my eating habits have changed, and my sleeping habits have worsen within the last couple of weeks and was like you said partlysunny, I was almost pushed out the door because he was positive I was having panic attacks by just looking at me. I understood where he came from, from looking at me, yes i looked depressed, yes i lost weight, yes my blood pressure went up cause I almost wasn't able to get in cause i was having a retarded insurance problem..... But my thing is that these symptoms are making me this way, not the other way around. I can't sleep because I have pain, I don't eat certain things because i want to better myself, I looked depressed because I have been dealing with this everyday.  He just seemed very short and superficial about the situation.. I don't like him at all. But my other doctor talked me through it which was much more effective I think. I'm due for a stress test in mid july, and one of those 24 hour ekg things next week. I'm very open to the fact that this might be a panic attack. But I still need to rule out somethings. They prescribed me some generic Zanax to take whenever I am having an episode.... I do not like pills what so ever. So I guess its wait and suffer........ :(
Partly sunny - thanks for posting this - it's a good reminder not to accept being fobbed off with an anxiety diagnosis if that doesn't seem to fit the facts and your feeling about what's going on. Of course sometimes anxiety is the culprit, but as in your case, it's very possible for docs to be wrong about this. We've all gotta be our own health advocates.
Hi Jedisight,
It's good that you've got some tests coming up. Keep us posted on whether those shed any light on the situation.

In the meantime, and I do know how hard this is from personal experience, try to lower the levels of anxiety provoked by these experiences. There are many methods you can use to get yourself into a better state of mind. I was a bit of a wreck mentally and emotionally before I started making improving  my psychological wellbeing a priority in my life and I would never want to go back to the way I was. There's plenty of information to be found via Google on the following:

- EFT
- meditation
- CBT ( you can read about what it is and use the techniques on yourself)
- and, when anxiety does strike, try Dr. Weil's calming breath

I have the same problem.  It started when I was 17 and am now 26.  It has worsened very much over the years, and it happens daily now.  I get deafening ringing in my ears, and it stops for longer.  I feel the "adrenaline" burst afterwords, I'd really like some answers, feels like I am dying!  I understand your concern, the doctors always tell me it is anxiety, but I find that hard to believe.
Hi allen26,

Sorry to hear that :(. If this happens every day for you, could you try to convince your doctor to get you a 24-hour heart monitor to try to record the activity? (If you have healthcare, that is - if you are American I know that is not necessarily the case. As a transplanted American in the UK I am very glad of the National Health Service!)
Im only 22 and ive had this for 2-3 years i can hardly sleep because every time i lie down this happens im always rolling around unable to get comfortable but cant because my heart stops beating and when it starts back up it beats 2-3 times really fast and then only returns to normal on inhales n this happens every time i exhale again and again its everyday every time i pay attention to it anyways. I dont have any other symptoms just this and i dont think it from stress or anxiety because this can happen even when i've just been relaxing all day im hoping that all the drinking i've done the last few years hasnt done any damage to my heart. I also notice that when it pauses if i inhale while its stop it starts with a hard beat then stops again when i exhale and if i dont inhale for a while it stays stopped for a little longer and come with a heavy double beat and stops i dont know whats wrong and dont have the money to have it checked all that i can do is hope there is nothing wrong.
I am 34 years old. I have been having the same symptoms. In fact I am going to my GP today for another EKG. My symptoms usually appear at night when I lay down. I have noticed lately when I lay down on my left side it is worse.
I have been having these symptoms since I was pregnant with my 4th child. My OB told me it was normal for pregnant women to have these symptoms. About a year later I went the ER but the DR told me it was just stress and gave me xanax. I was relieved and fine for about another year. I then went to the ER again. This time he said I was fine other than being overweight. He also said my blood sugar was high. He told me to lose weight. I then went to my GP and she said everything was normal. She checked my thyroid and blood sugar which was slightly high but ok she said.
Over the past few months I have been having the same symptoms. I read about Mirena and these symptoms so I had it removed in August. I am now on orthro tri cyclen lo and Celexa for depression. I have lost 20 pounds since September. I am trying to get healthy for my kids. I am just worried something is really wrong and they cant find it. I feel like I am going crazy over this.
I have those same symptoms and found that certain diets might cause it. I don't know how to refer a particular site without naming it and seeming like a spammer... But in the site, it talks about how bananas, dates, and many high potassium foods can cause adrenal fatigue, and those are the symptoms. I'm suffering right now, which is why I came across this page, trying to find something more. I'm going to go back to that site and check out the diet again to see if I ate something that triggered it. I guess you could google adrenal fatigue to find it. It was very helpful for me. My eyes feel drowsy when it happens, like they're bulging out of my face or something. My whole body is out of whack. And it seems to happen in cycles.. like my heart will throb on and off for about five minutes, then calm down for a few minutes when I get some relief, then start up again. When it starts up, I do feel that adrenal surge through my body and my head starts to hurt. It is soooo exhausting!
I suffer from everything you have described, I also have an under active thyroid and suffer from sleepwalking and sleep paralysis (when your body is in sleep state before your mind- quite scary too).  I have had the test for Pheochromocytoma and the 1st test showed extremely high catecholamine levels, but the test was put down to an error as I passed more than 6 litres of urine in 24hr period (due to my thirst during these episodes and the fact I have to drink loads). I then had a second test, which is within normal ranges. I have now asked to speak to an endocrinologist as I also suffer from irregular painful periods too and I want to rule out anything hormonal which could be affecting everything (as you described and my thyroid, plus another hormones).

Don't give up
I am relieved to have found this forum because I have been experiencing similar symptoms since I was a kid probably no older than 10.

I am a 26 year old female, average weight, typical diet, and a recently born runner with no history of heart problems or health problems in my family aside from depression/anxiety.

Like most of you, it's damn near possible to explain what is going on in there, because there is no consistency to it. It happens at random times, tired or alert, active or laying down. For me, it's like it stops for a split second (or slows WAY down), and does sort of a flip flopping before smoothing itself out to a normal rate. I almost picture what a fish does when you take it out of water. It only lasts a few seconds, but in those few seconds, it seems to take my breath away, and as a result I always cough. The coughing isn't a side effect, it's just a habit. This can happen at the most random calm times, such as when I'm answering my e-mails or work, or sitting on the couch watching TV. It usually only happens once, maybe twice in the hour and stops until the next day. When I was a kid, I remember telling people about it, thinking that it was normal and happened to everyone, but as I'm getting older, I noticed it's happening almost 3 times daily or more, whereas, when I was a kid, it happened maybe 3 times a year.

My mom took me to a cardiologist when I was 6 for an ultrasound because she thought I had a heart murmur, and they found nothing. But that was 20 years ago, and I can't rely on the results of something done that long ago.

Another thing I noticed, was that as this seems to worsen, my heart seems to 'pound' into my chest nonstop. I've gotten my blood pressure checked several times in the past year and none of the physicians noticed any 'pounding' or abnormalities and my blood pressure is normal. I just feel like you don't normally notice your heart beating, but I always can lately. I've also noticed that I get headaches a lot more frequently now and tire out a lot quicker.

Something else I noticed also was when I'm laying on my sides and I put a lot of pressure on that area (such as doing sit ups or something of that nature), it will do the flip flop and beat rapidly until I shift my movement. It's like I'm pinching off a tube and the blood isn't flowing in properly. I realize that sounds funny, but like I said, it's impossible to explain for the most part.

I wanted to point out also, that I had my thyroid checked last year and it was fine.

I was seriously starting to think I was the only one in the world with this problem and naturally, trying to diagnose myself on WebMD leads to cancer and HIV...My advice, DO NOT try to diagnose yourself, because you will drive yourself CRAZY and it will always make you think you have all these terrible diseases and viruses and it's just better to stay away from websites like that!

There is one thing that bothers me however, is that the symptoms people are experiencing are not always linked to anxiety.  When people try to tell me that I have anxiety it infuriates me because I know the difference between heart irregularities and heart palpitations. I WAS actually diagnosed with anxiety/depression as a kid, but I took medication for years and have it under control now. The heart problems I am experiencing are not from anxiety. It's not the feeling of panic followed by a rapid heart beat, it's a random lapse in beats.

Does anyone else experience odd symptoms like this or have any advice? I realize my explanation was pretty terrible but I haven't a clue how else to explain it.
I am not a doctor and cannot properly diagnose you but it sounds like you have pvcs, premature ventricular contractions.  You have some cells in one of the ventricles of your heart that are miss firing.  They add an extra beat to the normal beating of your heart.  This extra beat disrupts the normal beat and cause the heart to pause a beat to reset itself.  If you get a few in close timing you can feel as though your breath is being taken away.  There really isn't much they do for them unless you are having over 20,000 a day but you may want to go see a cardiologist just to get a general work up of your heart's health.  But take some time to do some research on pvcs just so know what you are dealing with.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Thanks to those who posted in November and December. I'm afraid I don't have anything enlightening to contribute apart from what others have already said - just wanted to say that I've read your posts and really hope that you find a way to improve and/or learn more about your symptoms in 2012. Update us if you can!

Things are going OK for me...I'm having far fewer palps/PVCs, which is great, but now have a new fun night-time thing where my heart speeds up and gets faster and faster the sleepier I get :(. Doesn't behave like SVT, as it starts and ends gradually. Thankfully this doesn't happen every night, but I find it to be pretty weird.
"Something else I noticed also was when I'm laying on my sides and I put a lot of pressure on that area (such as doing sit ups or something of that nature), it will do the flip flop and beat rapidly until I shift my movement. It's like I'm pinching off a tube and the blood isn't flowing in properly. I realize that sounds funny, but like I said, it's impossible to explain for the most part."

Yep, I have exactly that and it's a pretty good description. Not fun! I don't know why this happens to us and not to everyone. You would think that if it were just down to human anatomy, everyone would have this problem, but no. For me it has required less and less pressure over the years to cause this. Now I can't even lie propped up w/ a pillow against my upper back. I have a possibly crackpot theory that I have an expanding hiatal hernia that's taking up more and more space in my chest.
I have the same symptom check your potassium levels everyone I take potassium pills 600 Mg 330 percent I feel great stress takes out your potassium and moving bowels alot
Hi Yambuster - do you know one would go about getting potassium levels checked? Is this normally via a blood test you ask your doctor for?
Yes, you can get it checked via a blood test.  If you have any stomach, gas, acid reflux issues I might get those addressed as well.  It may help alleviate your symptoms.
Thanks. I think you're onto something re acid reflux...for me and I think for some others, it does make things worse.
I am glad to have found this forum.  I recognize a number of the symptoms repeated here.  I've struggled to explain them and haven't wanted to go see an MD because they don't do well without symptoms that are clearly verbalized.  I first noticed the "flip-flops" a few years back.  They came but then left without issue but then returned this past month.  I exercise regularly, eat well, am relatively young (41), am not depressed and have never been described as an anxious/nervous/depressed person.....but I think that the subsequent feelings/symptoms I get after the flip-flop could be anxiety related but the "flip flop" is not.  I become anxious because my heart flip-flops/speeds up/seems to skip a beat and then I have pressure in my face.  It's like whatever happens in my chest travels up to my face and I feel pressure and then light-headed.  Sometimes, like now, I have something that feels a tad bit like heart burn after the flip-flop (not an issue I suffer from on regular basis....in fact rarely but this is the best I can describe it as).  I sometimes feel tired after the flip-flop/pressure/light-headed thing comes on.  Almost like after an adrenaline rush.  My heart feels like it is beating really hard.  Sometimes, my chest is a little tight like I can't really breath fully.  It feels crazy but it sounds like plenty of other people can relate to exactly what I am experiencing.  I am going to book an appointment with my naturopath.  I find that she listens and takes to heart everything I say much better than an MD and doesn't treat me like I am crazy for ANY symptom I describe.  Not sure what she will think but I am starting there.  Maybe I am low on potassium, maybe my heart has developed an irregular heart beat.  Who knows?  I do have a partial heart murmur which I was diagnosed with YEARS AND YEARS ago but no one has said anything since I was 10 or so.  And, even then it wasn't a big deal.

I'm sorry for everyone that is experiencing what I am...or worse.  Thanks for sharing your information.  I feel better not being alone in this (though it'd be better if none of us had a reason to commiserate/look for answers!!).
I am so pleased I've found you - I have suffered the rapid / irregular / skipped beats along with the jolts of adrenaline for 2 years now, sometimes the episodes are daily, sometimes multiple times in a day, to the point where I dread them coming on. I hate feeling this scared but it's comforting to know other people have exactly the same symptoms.
Updates:

So I recently went and saw a Cardiologist. Apparently, he is a very well respected and well known cardiologist in the area. I had an echocardiogram done, and wore a holter monitor for 24 hours. The outcome was a very small atrial septal defect with trivial mitral and tricuspid insufficiency.  When you are a baby, you have a small hole inbetween the left and right upper chambers of your heart. As you grow older, the hole eventually closes. I (along with probably a lot of people on this forum) was one of the 25% of the population whose 'hole' didn't close all the way. This abnormal opening is called an atrial septal defect and causes blood from the left atrium to flow (or shunt) across the hole into the right atrium.

I had my consultation with my cardiologist, and he explained to me that this is basically a normal echo, which surprised me. The flip flopping showed up 3 times on my echo in 24 hours. He told me that surgery wasn't necessary and medication was an option to control the rhythm of the beats, but also wasn't necessary because it happens so randomly and not frequent enough.  He said the hole was small enough that I shouldn't have to worry about it.  I asked him about the symptoms (fatigue, occasional chest pain, flip flopping, headaches, etc.) and he said in the nicest way possible, that I just had to live with them. He also said that the headaches are not related. He said that I did not have to cease my excersizing, in fact, he recommended I excersize.  He then hooked me up to the EKG to do one final test and it was normal.  I left feeling neither satisfied nor dissatisfied.  Naturally, you always want to hear good news, but unforunately, I'm not convinced. The further I walked from the hospital, the more dissapointed I became.  All that worrying and depression from this situation, only to leave with a lot of my questions unanswered.

Now, if my heart has a tiny hole in it, isn't this going to cause problems for me as I get older? Isn't this shaving years off my life? I don't even remember what it feels like to feel normal. I am scared every day. I don't know if it's because now I'm obbsessing over it or what, but it's just so uncomfortable and, well, scary because it's not normal - even if my Cardiologist says it is.

I am not overweight. Slightly out of shape, but active nonetheless. I run 3-6 miles a week, bike, light weightlifting, etc.  Yet, I feel winded all the time.  am very aware of my heart beating at all times. It's so loud sometimes, I wonder if people around me can hear it too.  I think that my headaches ARE a symptom, because if I have a tiny hole in my heart that is effecting the flow of blood, then isn't it effecting the blood flow to my brain too? Can't this cause fatigue and headaches? Why is this tiny hole causing rapid irregular beats when I lay on my right side and no other times?  

So many questions.  I guess the conclusion that I came too from this was that I am going to go get a second opinion when I have heath insurance. I had to pull a lot of strings to get these tests done, ranging from hospital financial assistance, right down to a charity donation. It's a real bummer when you don't have health insurance.  Fortunately, my fiance and I are getting married in June and I will receive his benefits so I will be able to get tests done more freely rather then having to scrounge money, but it doesn't change the fact of how I feel NOW.  

I'm so glad I found this forum to see the similar symptoms and concerns other people have. I felt so alone when this started happening. I was convinced that nobody else in the world was having these problems and I was the only one!
I can't speak to your condition and how it affects the body but what I do know is as we get older there are more and more things we have to "learn to live with".  I think on one level when we have heart troubles it is hard to not obsess about them.  Our toes we don't need but our hearts we need in order to live so when things go a bit awry we can fall into being hyper focused on the symptoms we feel.  At some point, however, we have to trust that the doctors aren't going to steer us wrong.  They really wouldn't.  That doesn't make living with our symptoms necessarily any easier but if the doctor is fairly confident that the status of your heart is in good shape it is likely in decent shape. The fact of the matter is worrying about what is going on with our hearts can actually make what is going on worse.  I would say, by all means get a second opinion when you can but in the meantime try to take some time and work through the anxiety and worry you are holding onto about your heart.  It is very possible once you work through it you will feel better as well.  Take care.
Hi, I am truly happy I found this thread because I really believed I was the only having these things happen to me. And I was absolutely certain I was going to die and leave my children to mourn me.  I'm still scared but now I see that i'm not the only one and that people are surviving thru this it makes me feel a little less anxious. My heart problems began in July 2010 I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (a form of hyperthyroidism) when I went into the ER my heart rate was 134 bpm, I had spent over 6 months undiagnosed and my heart beating out of my chest. I got on meds and my endocrinologist put me on Atenolol for my heart..worked pretty well until I got pregnant in 2011 (unplanned but a blessing nonetheless) was switched to Inderal and it worked like a charm, now i'm 11weeks postpartum and started having these heart issues again. First it was too slow because of the amount of Inderal i was on (48 bpm) then I had gone to the ER because my chest was hurting (7 weeks postpartum) and out of the blue had one of the attacks Wundergecko and every1 else descibed, i was sitting in the room waiting to be discharged with costochondritis (inflammation of the ribcage due to pregnancy) no anxiety, no activity, i was watching TV and all of a sudden I get this sick feeling in my stomach and a feeling i can't describe creep up thru my chest, it feels like my heart isnt working and then it starts pounding like crazy, the nurse had walked in while it was happening and i was trying to tell her what was going on and she said my heart rate was fine. (i was hooked up to a heart monitor) Until the monitor started going off. I went from 70bpm to over 150bpm in seconds..i did some deep breathing while the nurse ran to get the dr and it came down pretty quickly but then it happened again about 10 minutes later, did more deep breathing and it came down again. A CT scan was done and an EKG and both came back normal. ER gave my Ativan, and something called a grasshopper for indigestion and told me it was gas that stimulated my Vagus nerve and caused the heart palp. Havent had one again. Until tonight. I was sitting with my fiance and was holding the baby when the feeling hit me and i knew what was happening and is it just me or does anyone else feel the need to get some air when it happens? So I stepped outside (i hate freaking the kids out) and took some deep breaths and it came down and my fiance stood by me and helped me calm down..then i tried to lay down and was scared awake by the feeling of like a gush of blood going up my neck..i was propped ou on my hand dozing. It scared me so bad that I cant go back to sleep..i have no idea how i'm going to function in the AM..Thanks for reading my long drawn out story..any suggestions and advice are appreciated :) Good Luck to every1 dealing with this very real and scary disability.
Hi Sorry to hear all the symptoms -I can't comment on all the symptoms but the little hole is called a 'patent foramen ovale' - but can't be easily distinguished from an ASD. Yes you are right -25% of the population have them and don't know. They don't tend to cause any symptoms BUT are associated with migraine with aura, and  risk of stroke because blood clots can pass through and up to the brain and you should not on any account scuba dive. the risk of stroke tends to be related to the size but also activity -so it is possible you may need to discuss daily asprin, or at least asprin before flights and wear pressure socks when flying - as the clots from DVT can pass through the hole. However I don't want to panic you -I was 40 when my very large PFO was discovered through a bend from diving. I had mine closed due to the size. Yours - and mine echo are normal because the heart is ok apart from a little hole. I think however it did account for my life long inability to sustain exercise, fatigue and migraines! Don't be fobbed off. If you have access to Pubmed or have time to trawl the web, look for research on the MIST trial or see this link http://www.migraine.org.uk/index.php?sectionid=261 Hope that gives you some info.
Thank you! I will look into this.  
I deal with the same thing day in and day out...you are not alone. when that happens at night I have to get on here to remind myself I am not alone
Hey people who have the same problems as me! I guess its good to know people are able to live with this... I always worry I am going to die. I started out with anxiety about 10 years ago, when I was about 24. Over the years it just got worrrrse and worrrse, now I have pounding pulse, the skipped beats, and adrenaline rush type things. But I definitely have a hiatal hernia. Went to the GI and had a camera stuffed down my throat. So I took some meds for reducing acid and another Med for coating the esophagus or whatever. Well acid and hernia went away. I still don't have any acid problems but now have the pounding pulse feeling in my chest, and some nights the skipped beats and adrenaline rushes. All doctors tests, ekgs, blood tests, vitamin levels, totally normal. Thing is my heart rate is about 80 when I have the pounding, just feels like its pumping harder. I can say that I NEVER had these symptoms during anxiety attacks, I had fast heart rate but it was a different type of palpitation. Definitely did not have the adrenaline rush stuff. But apparently its normal, and I haven't died and wont die for awhile judging by the posts.

Big deal. Like I want to live with it! That's the problem with it all is just living with something that ruins my sleep, causes more stress and anxiety, and makes it even harder to just function like a normal person. I get all of 1-4 hours of sleep if any sleep at all because of this pounding. Then when the skipping crap happens, I feel horrible and can't do anything but wait.

I find it hard to believe that its just normal, considering I went 24 years without a problem, and then had a really bad emotional trauma and my life has been an uphill battle since.

Listen, I quit caffiene, cigarettes, tried all the medications (meds caused other problems), quit the high fructose corn syrup, eat a low Carb diet, exercise 7 days a week 1-2 hours per day, I weigh 165lbs and can run a mile in 7minutes. I would like to tell you that makes some kind of difference, but it doesn't. No Matter how healthy doctors say I am, or how I look in the mirror, I can't sleep or feel well with this problem. There are some good days... but for the most part it is a struggle.

Sorry for the rambling, and poor writing skills. That's what happens when you can't sleep I guess.
Hi groovieknave,

Sorry to hear you've been suffering so long. I may get flamed for this, but as you have undergone extensive testing and have dealt with the one thing that was found (the hiatal hernia), I'd suggest that you try some energy medicine like acupuncture. We are not just nuts and bolts, and the fact that the onset of your problems coincided with an emotional trauma suggests to me that your energy patterns may not have recovered from this.

By all means keep up the exercise and good diet - this is essential for good health, however much energy manipulation you do - but also work on your mind and emotions and look below the surface there. This is the only way I found significant relief from the problems I detailed in the original post, and the problems I've had since then.
Hey there, I got a possible explanation. Many of these posts share the symptoms of a Spontaneous Kundalini Awakening. My wife had been (and still is) sharing many of these aforementioned issues; anxiety, increased heart rate, feelings of pulses, pulses in her head, inability to sleep etc...

I urge you to have a look at this resource and see if this offers any solace
www.biologyofkundalini.com

I have returned to this forum to offer this possible explanation, this information has helped us hugely... There is quite a bit of information on the net about this topic, in fact Jung wrote about it as early as 1932, in his seminars titled The Psychology of Kundalini Yoga. The issue is that for our westernised minds, this could be a very new way of thinking... Try

Best of luck, i hope this helps.
Lluvi, thanks for your post. I definitely think kundalini is a possible explanation in some cases, and it's something I've been considering recently. It's interesting that these things started for me a week after I had an IUD put in (lower abdomen / base of spine general area) - physical provocation, maybe?

On March 27 I had some kind of energy event that's been much more positive...kundalini resolution? Re-awakening? Don't know, but since then I've hardly had any palps and have lost my fear of death (don't WANT to die, but I've not got that chunk of background anxiety anymore).

I hope that if energy changes are also involved for some of the other commenters here, they will turn out to be positive and all part of the greater good (this is not at all to downplay people's distress and any possible physical causes for symptoms, though). Best of luck to your wife.
Read the following link as a possible diagnosis of pheochromocytoma  http://endocrinesurgery.ucla.edu/patient_education_pheochromocytoma.html
You are amazing.  Thank you for accurately describing what I've been experiencing for the last 5 years.

You are very brave.  Everyone who has posted here with the same problems are all very brave.  I wish I could give you all a big empathetic hug haha :).

I am a 26 year old male, My first "incident" was when I was 21. I was shopping for some fishing supplies with some friends of mine. I felt a buzzing sensation throughout my body. I checked my pulse on my neck artery and there was no pulse.  I then put my hand on my chest and I couldn't feel a beat.  I told my friend to call a doctor because my heart wasn't beating.  I sat down on the floor because I was going to pass out.  I laid back on the ground and I was seeing spots, my head was ringing, I was about to go unconscious.  A man in the store was an EMT and checked my pulse on my wrist and told me it was weak.  After laying there for a minute or so, I felt completely fine.  The ambulance came and took me to the hospital for checkups.  The EMT in the back with me had me hooked up to a heart monitor and was very interested (almost excited because he hadn't seen that before) in the way my heart was beating.  Irregularly, double beats, long pauses, etc. At the hospital they did all the tests in the book and said I was completely fine.

I still get these symptoms now and then today, but not like I did in the fishing store where I felt it stop for over a minute.

Over the years I have taught myself to control it.  I am able to make my heart stop (or beat very faintly) on command now if I wish.  Quite the parlor trick (however I avoid doing it because a voice in the back of my head says it may not start up again).  I find myself subconsciously syncing my heartbeat with the beat of a song on the radio sometimes.  

I honestly think there is nothing overly wrong with us, and most of it is in our heads. The whole heart skipping a beat feeding anxiety which makes the heartbeat more sporadic. Viscous cycle.

I feel the symptoms worse the day after a night of drinking.  I find that standing up and walking around a little bit, taking slow deep breaths, sipping ice cold water, and even going to the bathroom have helped the symptoms to go away.  It's easy to say "don't think about it and you'll be ok", but it's impossible to not think about or pay attention to your heart rhythms once this happens.

Sorry for my rambles, I just wanted to share my story and say that everyone experiencing this has to remain positive! Keep your head up.  There are lots of us feeling the same things you are.  We're all here.  You aren't dying today.

Take care and best of luck to everybody.

this is my first comment on the topic but i've been reading it for nearly a month now. My issues started a little over a month and have been up and down since then, i've had a lot of trouble dealing with this, especially at the height of the problem (about a week ago I had the most severe attack yet and had to go to hospital) because I just felt like I could die at anytime and that stopped my life completely as paranoia and depression set in. I'm 19 now and this is no way I want to live the rest of my life. They seemed to have eased significantly over the past few days and as i've started taking propranolol but I still have this niggling, sometimes more prominent that this could strike and potencially kill me at anytime, especially so if i'm not distracted and thinking about it. This is a feeling we all most likely share and its one I wish upon no person, even though the doctors have told me i'm fine and as of recently i've had no issues theres still this thought tormenting me. Anyway, I just want to thank you, all of you. Truly, I cannot describe how helpful this has been and your shared experiances have made mine easier to bare. I wish you all the best and please keep posting.

Thanks,

Sam
just noticed your post , i get the pounding chest only when ive been asleep and woken. In my case the episodes started after probably alot of hard partying and then after i cleaned my act up, went back into training very hard which ive been doing for 25 years any way i went into  afib . Had a cardioversion to put me back into normal sinus rythem.since then when i train hard i have these episodes call them anxiety attacks if you want only when i wake up.  This by no means contols my life and if like me youve had all the ecgs , ekgs  then maybe we worry to much < you become to heart aware listening to every single beat which possibly sets them off cos when im training i dont think about it only at rest it gets into your head again, maybe we have all got dodgy tickers ,but we are all still kicking and im sure theres alot of other people out there who are in far graver situations than us .  Youve just gotta get on in life, yes you worry so do i but dont let it rule you cos this aint no dress rehearsal, when your times up your times up .   just a thought any this is the first and last time ill post on one of these forums waste of time really cos if your on this its in you head ,  cheers  
I'm 13 and that exact feeling happens to me. My mom is a doctor and she can't find anything wrong with me. The feeling happens after school when I'm not doing much. When I'm distracted it doesn't happen. :'(
Can't believe what I've been reading and think I can relate
Last attack went like this, I was driving and experienced a sudden headache, within a minute this turned into a pulsing head, within a few minutes I experienced a sudden exhausted breath as if I'd ran for miles. I didn't have palpations but experienced chest pain nd went grey. Paramedics came out took my obs and diagnosise PANIC ATTACK!
2 weeks prior to this I had another episode whilst driving. Sudden breathlessness, chest pain in the centre of my breastbone, lightheaded ness and a very sudden thirst. Paramedics did ECG and all obs and again diagnosed a PANIC ATTACK!
Prior to this episode I'd been having pain in the centre of my shoulder blades and flip flop beats
Can anyone please relate as left me feeling very concerned. On both occasions I seriously felt I was dying
Any feed back would be very appreciated thank you
I have had them for years, and my excellent psychiatrist has helped me develop a system to get them under total control when they occur.

For anyone interested in these weird, deeply unpleasant attacks, the wikipedia article gives a TON of information (of course, there are lots of other internet sources, too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack

The important lesson to take away from what one reads about panic disorder is that it is a medical condition that is heavily genetic.  It is not a failure of will power or a lack of control.

However, one still has to go to a good mental health professional, one with medical credentials, for effective treatment, and for some people the stigma of mental illness remains so embarrassingl that they'd rather have any other terrible medical condition, like heart disease or cancer, than face the other possibility.
So does what I describe is a panic attack?
I ask this because I have convinced my doc to refer me for tests, stress ECG etc on Tuesday
Appreciate your feed back
Thank you
Julie
Totally.  But read the wikipedia article.  The more you educate yourself, the more informed your treatment will be.
Read it
I've been going out of my mind thinking its my heart, my dad died at 35 of heart attacks but my gp said male genes re heart run on only the male side of the family...
Even though had an ECG in ambulance that was normal I've pushed my gp for a stress ECG which I go for tomorrow
I've not left the house since my last attack
I just couldn't believe panic attacks could be so severe
Juliev25, it may well be panic attacks, but I have to say I'd urge you not to simply assume it is based on a Wikipedia article and verdict of paramedics (although of course do research it and see if you think this matches your experience). The reason I say this is that you may (if you're of an anxious mindset as many of us) be setting yourself up for doubts later.

If you really want the testing you've asked your doctor for, I think it's best you go for it. That way, you'll know you've been checked out and you won't be left wondering (as much, anyway :). Plus, I do think it is best practice to get checked out if you have cardiac behavior that is unusual for you personally, and we are all different. If everything comes back clear, then you've got that information to build on, and if it does seem to be panic attacks, you can look for the type of effective treatment that Achillea mentions.

Good luck to you, and remember that whether it's panic attacks or just uncategorized weirdness of the type some of us have had, we are still here and commenting :)
Forgot to say - my bet would be that everything will come back clear from your testing, so try not to worry too much in the meantime - clear tests have been a theme on this thread.
I am on the floor
Had ECG, X-ray and stress ECG, cardi doc says abnormal readings on stress ECG as my heart was recovering. Got to have 24 hr tape in 2 wks and then cardiac catheterisation arteriography in 6 weeks. She explains theres a 1 in a 10000 risk of dying from this test but she recommends strongly I have it. She's also advising my gp to prescribe me beta blockers ans aspirin from tomorrow. I'm well and truley gutted and going out of my mind. She also advised me not to drive
If anyone can offer any advice please
Although it is good to know about the symptoms of panic attacks, you were wise to have sought out a stress EKG rather than make any assumptions--particularly in light of your family history, with your father being struck down so young by a heart attack.  Did you mention that to the paramedics?  That is a serious marker for trouble ahead, even though you are a woman (weird that your GP should make that remark about the problem going only through the male line--the risk is related to ANY first-degree relative, male or female, with a heart attack before the age of 60).

The risk of death from the catheterization is a statistical thing and actually pretty low; if you search the words 'cardiac catheterization' on this board, you will read posts by a lot of people who have undergone it and survived quite nicely.

Obviously what your cardiologist said is unsettling, largely because there does not seem to be any precise or helpful info there.  Did she say *exactly* what was abnormal about your stress EKG, or why you should not drive?  If I did not know that at least, I'd be going nuts from uncertainty and the lack of information.

She said there was differences in my heart stress ECG on the recovery. I presumed that was when the treadmill slowed down and I went back to walking. My last 2 attacks happened while I was driving so I asked what I should do and she advised not to drive
I really worried because she must of seen something really abnormal to warrant more tests esp cath ?
If I were you, I think I would be calling her back to say that I was worried and wanted to know EXACTLY, in clinical terms, what she found and what it meant.

She should be able to explain it in terms you can understand.  I mean, what is she being paid for?
Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear your news :(. I agree with Achillea - you need to get your doctor to explain exactly why she has ordered further testing, and why those tests specifically.

I think there are two parts to this, depending on how you feel about it - she should explain it to you in a way that a non-medical person can understand, but I would also have her tell you her conclusions/suspicions in straight-up medical terminology. Then write those terms down, or get her to email you, and post them here. We may be able to help you interpret her findings if anything is still unclear.

(Obviously people answering questions in this thread are not doctors and cannot give medical advice, but myself and I'm sure many others have done a lot of research into heart abnormalities and may be able to point you in the right direction and provide reassurance or clarification).

Hope to hear back from you soon and try not to worry too much for now (I know, easier said than done :)!
Ok got report and she saw 0.5 ST depression and T inversion in my recovery period
She said with family history
I need extra tests
I'm out of my mind with worry
Just about an hour ago, the cardiologist on the heart disease Expert Forum gave you a very reassuring evaluation of your history and stress test results, noting of course that no one could actually do a definite diagnosis over the internet.  He told you that the angiogram is just to rule out some stuff regarding your ST depression and T inversion, which he said were non-specific findings.

Based on your tests, this cardiologist--a person who has actually treated diseased hearts--was not alarmed.  For people who have not studied the heart, it is difficult to take this attitude seriously, but in your case it is important.   Worrying will not help, and if you find yourself panicking or out of your mind with worry between now and your angiogram, it would be a good idea to make an appointment with a shrink or your regular therapist to get your anxiety under control.  As you probably know from the 22 years you describe of 'on and off  panic attacks and anxiety,' you will be given therapy (talk and possibly a bit of medication) to get you through the rough patches.

By the way, I also noticed in the Expert Forum that you described yourself as having smoked 'until Tuesday.'  It is wonderful that you have quit (and I know it is difficult), but when giving your medical history, since smoking is a significant risk factor for several diseases, I am sure you know that it is important to state that you have smoked for x number of years and have quit only recently.

Hi Julie,
Glad you've had an answer about your test findings from a cardiologist on here.

I won't tell you off for being worried if you still are after the reassurance, or tell you that you need to go off and book a therapist necessarily - dealing with the anxiety that comes from heart issues is a battle we all fight and we all progress at different rates. I would say maybe come back to the cardiologist's answer a little later and try to view it more objectively - it sounds like you just need testing to rule things out, not to confirm a specfic, scary diagnosis.

Best of luck to you!
i'm a 23 yr old male, Its like weird things happening with me , i dont know what exactly it is. there are symptoms like my nose is always blocked , either  one nostril is always block , there is no chest pain but a weird feeling in chest , shortness of breath and dizziness sometimes with rapid heart beat and dry coughing , i feel like i have a major problem related to my health , 1 day i landed up in ER with increased heart beat and tingling in my hands, all test were negative and doctor said every things is normal. suddenly while driving or at office or doing some work i feeling my heart beating faster and i'm running out of breath , and i feel the blood running through my hands , legs and back.

today while driving back home i felt like my heart stopped for a second , but then after 15-20 mins , i was back to normal . i have problem with stool , its kind of foamy , white foam appearance with the stool,  stomach and part of chest make noise through out the day it feels like i have gas, i have trouble sleeping also , some times i feel my nose is totally blocked and sometimes its totally good and free. i am a vegetarian , non smoker non drinker .

apart from this i have fear that something in terribly wrong with my health . and after reading the symptoms of anxiety attach i feel it is just anxiety , my life has changed a lot , i fear to travel , always want to be near by a hospital, keep on searching for symptoms i have..    
someone reply??
Hi everyone. I'm a 29 yr old male in the military and a former police officer. On December 11 of 2010, I had every episode happen to me at about 930 pm. I went to the ER and was told I was fine and that it may have been caused from pre workout shakes I was taking. Well I have been off of those now for two years. For the first 4-6 months I felt so sick to my stomache, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, was lightheaded and had mild dizziness, no energy, any amount of exertion got my heart racing. I still have the adrenaline rush feeling sometimes. Some days I will feel good and then it will come on again. It is driving me crazy. I don't do a lot of the things I use to Just bc I'm afraid I won't feel good. I have always been in good shape. I have seen all the doctors that the rest of you have and gotten the same answers and diagnosis. I was told one part of my heart is a little bigger than the others but that is normal with athletes and ppl who work out. I need to feel like myself again and I pray that God will heal each and every one of you bc I know exactly how you all feel. May God bless each one of you and direct you to who and where you need to go!
God Bless! Sgt. Wilder
Sometimes it is best to start your own thread if you want people to respond better.  Not everyone goes back to look at old threads.  That said, have you been to an ear nose throat doctor to see what is up with your congestion?  Have you had a chest xray to rule out issues with your lungs?  A lot of times when you go to the ER they just do major tests to make sure you are not on deaths door.  An ER is basically for life threatening emergencies but if you have a persistent issue you should think about going and seeing a specialist like the one I mentioned before.  It is possible your issue is not even related to the heart but affecting it.  You can also try going to a cardilogist and seeing if you can get an event monitor.  Sometimes heart issues are ellusive and you need a 30 day monitor to catch what is going on because if it wasn't acting up much by the time you reached the ER then they wouldn't find anything regardless of what you were feeling earlier.  But that doesn't mean there isn't an issue just that it isn't always present.  In any event, go see your GP and find out if there are other doctors that would be helpful for you to see.  Take care, I hope you can get to the bottom of this and feel better soon.
Unfortunately sometimes issues with the heart are very hard to catch and diagnose.  As with the previous poster you can try and see if you can get a monitor that you would wear for a month to see if you can catch what is going on.  I might also see if you have any issues with your stomach from the shakes.  I know heart burn can set off the heart because of the vagus nerve so maybe on the days you are feeling really poorly is it possible you at something that could have upset your stomach a bit.  Well, I do hope that you are able to find some resolution at some point.  I hope that God blesses you as well.  Take care.
Michellepetkus, thanks for your replies. Seconded!
First off i just wanna say your awesome for taking the time to explain in detail your symptoms, thought/emotions, and what the doctors keep saying.
Im a 21 year old male with the EXACT same symptoms accompanied by the same reactions I get from the doctors I visit. Im hoping to see a specialist soon also and I agree with seeing a neurologist. I experieince the same stop and sudden rush of adrenaline which seems to force my heart to beat again. May happen 2 or three times in succesion bring me to my knees, hand on my heart. One reason I agree with you seeing neurologist is one thing that has caught my attention to forms of tachy and or bradycardia is the fact that a nerve stem in your body known as the vagus is in control of soft muscle movement and if the uncomfortable feelings in your heart are accompanied by GI problems and stomach cramping you could be experiencing what I think I am. Vasovagal syncope. Im sure you said you had a CT scan which would identify any fractures in your skull esp. to Posterior Fossa which would cause strange stimulus to vagus. But it being the nerve that controls soft muscle movement it could be what is effecting your heartbeat. There are triggers that can cause this but really not much doctors can do. Accompanied symptoms include dizziness, fainting, ringing in ears, ect. Its a simple suggestion only because, like me, every doctor and person you talk to seems to point you towards anxiety. Once again like me you are young and of course have been experiencing it for an extended period of time while doctors write you off(or how it seems). So we can both rule out the life threatening factor but, once again, like me, you KNOW there is something that is just kinda off. Like Ive said, simple suggestion, your obviously like me and search for answers. Regardless of what people tell you, you KNOW when there is something wrong with your body and no one else can tell you differently. I was seeking answers while waiting to see a cardiologist and/or specialist and this is what I came up with.

Just want to say reading your detailed post helped me feel way more comfortable and at ease. I now have a feeling I will too go through all the tests and money just to have a bunch of money grubbing ego maniacs tell me there is nothing wrong with me. But with this info I hope it is enlightening to put your research into and hope it helps to help you avoid that awful feeling that we all seem to be experiencing.

Helpful tip: If your a coffee drinker I highly recomend switching to something less stimulating like hot teas. It has helped to keep me calm and more comfortable when I feel like Im on the verge of another "attack" I guess they could be called.

Thanks again for your helpful post...Ive been reading these things everywhere a million times over and yours was definitely the most helpful.
Hey, thanks for your post and glad this thread has helped you! So true about the vagus nerve, I think. I wonder if it is more sensitive in some people than in others.
Wundergecko and community,

I'm a 48 year-old male in good health that went to the emergency room last month with most of the symptoms you listed in your original post. Since then my cardiologist has ruled out heart problems following a nuclear isotope stress test and holter monitor. I'm fairly confident the original episode was a panic attack.

I continue to have the adrenaline rush feeling that comes and goes. It leaves my body with a "buzzing" feeling all over, similar to the allergic reaction I once had to an antibiotic. I googled "adrenaline allergy" and it led me to "histamine intolerance."

Apparently histamine intolerance is a condition that is brought on by eating histamine-producing foods and produces symptoms, many of which we have been experiencing like cardiac arrhythmia. The literature goes on to say the histamine intolerance produce "secondary symptoms" of sleep disturbance and panic attacks brought on by the adrenaline the body produces to counteract the high histamine level.

The solution is avoiding histamine-producing foods of which there is a long list: tuna, ham, chicken, spinach, tomato, cheese, yogurt, etc. I'm going to try adjusting my diet for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. I would appreciate advice from anyone here who has experience with histamine intolerance.

All best, John
Links to histamine intolerance:

http://www.histamine-intolerance.info/

http://www.food-intolerance-network.com/food-intolerance/histamine-intolerance/symptoms-histamine-intolerance.html

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/5/1185.full#fn-2

John
Wow, a zombie thread if I ever saw one.  It must have the right tags as it pops up from time to time.

Over the years, I developed this (I don't want to call it, but) ability to listen to my heart and body.  WIth 54 years of SVT under my belt, I was able to sense little nuances and feelings when an SVT event started or warnings of an impending event.  I swore up and down, that my SVT started in my head as I could feel this electric rush or pulse almost as the event started up.  I could only describe it as an instant "shock" that was felt in my upper torso; head to heart and no lower.  My cardiologist said it was a surge of adrenaline, but this was only for an instant, and happened immediately as the SVT initiated.  I still don't know what it was, and I haven't felt it since my ablation.  I also wanted to point out that even though a heart may look perfectly normal, it doesn't mean there isn't a concealed condition like SVT.  I know only too well!!  Treadmill tests, Holters, I even ran my track bicycle on rollers while they had me hooked up and nothing!  "It might be anxiety", they said.  But with an hospitalization at 6 years old for a heart rate of 312bpm.  I never got led into the anxiety diagnosis or I'd still be having SVT events.  A 30 day monitor finally revealed my problem by catching a couple of classic events.

I'd say listen to your body and if it happens again, you be the judge as to whether it's anxiety or panic attack or perhaps something else.
I am also posting here for the same reasons and i, too, unfortunately have no answers.Quite a number of similar episodes, occurring at completely random times, and quite shaking indeed.I have done the drill, blood work, Echos, EKGs, Chest X-rays, ...the works.I have not had a holter and i am really doubtful that i will have the oral skill necessary to convince my cardiologist to attach one on me.During our last meeting, I really tried hard (unsuccessfully) to convince him that I cannot continue living with these symptoms to which he responded "Your heart is fine.Do you want me to give you a heart disease?!" He also added that he's not particularly keen on doing any more tests on my heart!
Anyhow, for those posting on here who are tired of being misdiagnosed with Anxiety, please keep pushing until you have a real diagnosis.We know our bodies best and sometimes people do slip through the net, undetected, until something not so pleasant happens.Let us get second opinions, demand to see our test results, push for more tests, keep journals of health -related occurrences and so on.It ironic that these are the same doctors who advise people to do regular health checks yet here they are pushing us away when we seek help!

I believe that eventually the truth will come to light
Hi Tom H,
That is very interesting re adrenaline and SVT feeling like it started in your head. When I have nighttime SVT-like events, if I am awake enough when it hits, I can feel when it's about to happen (starting in the head as for you) and sometimes prevent it.

Out of concern, how many of the people who have replied to this post have had a 24 hour urine test (catecholamine, VMA, creatinine) to check out their adrenal glands? If this comes back clear, you might also want to convince your doctor to perform blood tests on your thyroid (TSH, free T3 and free T4). It is increasingly common for doctors to misdiagnose patients with mental health problems when really they have an endocrine system problem (ie hormone problem). It is amazing what the hormone chemicals can do! Get tested, get a referral to an endocrinologist, and let science determine what is going on. If you are unsatisfied, get a copy of the test results (and the limits) and get a second opinion. Good luck!
Although I haven't taken it up, I think you have given good advice to everyone here. It is worth looking at this. Not sure I personally could convince a GP to do the 24-hr urine test since my symptoms have now improved so much, but I do need to get around to looking into who to see about thyroid testing (from what I understand, it can be complicated and I don't know if any of the GPs at my surgery have satisfactory skills/experience/interest). I am having other problems related to hormones, though, so I may try to get the urine testing from somewhere 'just in case'.
Our symptoms sound similar mine started at 25 I had 4 different doctors all say anxiety/panic attacks none ran any test the last doctor I saw did run test and determined I have ( Wolf Parkinson White )
Because of the odd, periodic spikes in my blood pressure, as well as various arrhythmias and other symptoms, I have been given repeated catecholamine and thyroid tests.  My symptoms have been so strongly suggestive that the docs have been a little surprised when all came back normal.

On the other hand, these symptoms disappeared under drug therapy prescribed by my shrink.

They were in fact due, to a large extent, to anxiety or panic.
Hi MidDayRebel - do you know what test(s) you had to diagnose WPW?
yes the extra electrical signal was found on a 24 hour halter monitor and ekg but it will only show if it's active at the time of the tests
I have same adrenalin rush as everyone else. The first time I had one was yrs ago when I had a high fever, around 104. Now, when the horrible flushes start happening, I check my temp. and many times find I have a slight fever. Not always, but it's usually an indication that I'm under the weather. BTW, I hate the feeling. I want to scream when a rush hits.
Hi everyone,

I have all the same symptoms as listed here and I just wanted to give a few tips I've found helpful. Other people have mentioned eliminating alcohol and caffeine, which is vital, but also make sure you get rid of all artificial sweeteners as found in diet sodas and so on. I've had some of my worse palps after drinking just a few sips of a diet drink.

Also, make sure you're getting enough magnesium, potassium, calcium and sodium from your diet. If these nutrients are out of balance, palpitations can result, and almost everyone who eats a typical Western diet is deficient in at least one (usually magnesium / potassium). Try having a glass of fresh orange juice with a banana when you're having palpitations - often can stop them straight away.

Try taking a magnesium supplement, too. This literally stopped my palpitations completely for months.

Also make sure you drink plenty of water - dehydration is one of the number one causes of palpitations, and even very mild dehydration can cause them.

Finally, check out this site on "mitral valve prolapse syndrome" -http://www.mitralvalveprolapse.com/symptoms.html

You may have been tested for MVP and told you don't have it, but you can still have MVP syndrome without a clinical diagnosis of MVP. MVP syndrome is basically an over-sensitive central nervous system which overreacts inappropriately to everyday stimulus, causing palpitations, digestive problems, anxiety and so on.

Hope this is of some help, and good luck to everyone :)
Good tips from Foxfur. These may help some of you/us.

Weirdly, bananas seem to make palps more likely for me and I was eating one just before it all started in 2006. There may be nothing in the correlation, but I only ever eat half of one at a time now. I've never heard this from anyone else, though. They seem to be generally helpful or neutral.
Thank you so much to everyone who has posted here for giving me hope that I'm not going to die from this.  I started with all of the above symptoms after a miscarriage at age 23.  I'm 29 now, and the "skipped" heart beats w/accompanying light-headedness, flushing, etc. have gotten worse.  I've worn the Holter monitor 3 times in the past 6 years, and my physician always says, "Yes, your heart skips beats, but not enough to kill you."  Anyway, my concern lately is the increasing frequency of fleeting chest pains, usually with an episode of feeling like my heart stops but sometimes not.  I saw a doctor for it about 6 months ago, and she said that because I can point to the area where it occurs and because when it does occur inhaling makes it worse, it's definitely just a musculoskeletal pain.  
It's so frustrating to go in with these symptoms and have a doctor do an EKG, tell me I didn't have a heart attack (duh!), and send me away.  I'm relieved to know that others have experienced this, though I'm sorry that you have to as well as I.  These posts have given me ideas for reducing triggers, though, so thank you, and here's hoping they work :)
To all of you with similar problems,

Please, look into Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). It is a nervous system disorder that prevents the body from being able to properly adjust to the pull of gravity. Symptoms primarily include: rapid heart rate upon standing, dizziness, and fatigue. Other symptoms can include: irregular blood pressure (high or low), heavy and weak legs, shortness of breath, inability to exercise, extreme thirst, tremors, flushing, gastrointestinal issues, etc. Symptoms can change daily and range from mild to debilitating from person to person affected.

I could go on and on, but I will spare you. I just want this information to be out there because I and so many others suffered in silence for years. Majority of doctors are not familiar with this illness yet, so misdiagnosis is common, especially since all tests show normal results: EKGs, ultrasounds, echos, etc.

For more information, I recommend visiting:
http://www.dinet.org/pots_an_overview.htm

Also, feel free to message me or visit the groups on Facebook. Just search Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and POTS and they should come up.

Thank you, and best regards.

Brandi
I too experience similar heart arrhythmias.  I had the hollter monitor and stress test and the cardiologist say I have PVC and PAC and its benign and I'm not going to die.  I feel like I'm going to die every time I get them and I've been having these things since I was 12 (34 now).  Been to 3 difference cardiologists who say the same.  So I've been doing some self observations the past 5 yrs and noticed a strong link between hormonal changes and my heart arrhythmia.  My arrhythmia totally went away when i got pregnant.  9 months after delivery (when my menses returned) they came back with a vengance.  My PVC and PAC are triggered by hormones, alcohol, eating too much, stress, anxiety, asthma, allergies and caffeine.  I have low bp so the beta blockers are a no-no for me.  I take nothing and just endure the anxiety and discomfort of these epidodes.  Hope this helps.
Continued....  I am always fatigued and I always feel sick.  I wake up with tingly feet every single morning.  I get gray-outs often but never have passed out yet.  I feel like I lack oxygen.  I think it's all related to my crazy heart rhythm.  I am also looking for answers.  This forum is very informative.  
I too have suffered with my heart from a teenager (46 now). I went back to GP several times but never managed to see one during an episode until after my youngest son was born when I was 30. The doctor came out and I was admitted and eventually diagnosed with SVT. It was a relief to have a name for what was happening to me and to be believed at last. My heart rate at the time was recorded as 240bpm and an ablation was recommended. I had this the following year and have not had sustained palpitations since. However I do get weired feelings in my Chet which I never had before the op. it feels like my heart is not beating properly almost like a flutter or quiver. I also feel light headed and spaced out until adrenaline kicks in. The heart goes back to normal but I'm left feeling shakey (shaky) and anxious.  It leaves me feeling exhausted and all I want to do is sleep. Although I've lived with this a long time it still terrifies every time it happens.
For over two years I have dealt with anomalous feelings difficult to pin point but much the same as some here.   It started one night laying in bed munching on chips and reading then a terrifying feeling of a flip flop a jump a cardio twinge whatever you want to call it coupled of course with an adrenaline shot which led to a heightened sense raised BP and tachycardia.   This went on for a while never knowing when the next attack would happen always suspicious of every move every in take of food anything and everything.   My life was on a tight ripe of anxiety.  I started with Dr's who said immediately that I had anxiety that of course led to pills of which was Xanax which after a weeks use went straight to the trash can I felt as if I would die super anxious crawling out of my skin    Then came Ativan these actually worked for some time but the dose crept up and before too long I went from a half mg to 5 mg's a day and that took 8 months to ween myself off this garbage.   In two years I was in the ER 20 times all with blood work EKGs treadmills heart monitors 24 hours then 14 days and on and on it went.   Eventually out of shear desperation to feel "normal" I started a concerted effort in to diet    Suffering with BP I learned that my earrings habits needed some fine tuning.  Eventually I found myself on a non gmo organic non msg diet but oddly I still had episodes.   Feelings a terror anxiety if I laughed too much or did anything that was emotionally heightened I had this need to try and overt an attack with frequent swallowing posture down with a slight hunch forward.  Some feelings I constricted breathing various other feelings such cold feet and hands upper head sensation such as a cooling feeling left arm and neck strain you name I seemed to have it.  My personality was down and I was constantly afraid.   Eventually I started to see some release from this grip I impending doom due to feverishly trying to understand reading blogs after blogs doctor consultations self help apps for anxiety you can imagine.  Today I've learned a lot mostly I caused my BP and elevated rates and panic and anxieties.  I am still fighting these demons and every time I have an episode I get on the net and read knowing I'm not crazy jot alone and I will find an answer.   To date I've yet to find a complete answer but I have managed to control this more either it be PAT SVT PTSD Anxiety or whatever else it could be.  I want you to know that you are a normal person and you deserve to be heard and you are NOT alone.  I want to thank everyone for posting because for myself it helps to know I share this affliction with many others.  Hang in there keep the chins up don't fall to the rush heart beat sounds in your ears or the throbbing strobes in your vision and the next time you get a twinge a rush a flip or a flop just remember I we are all experiencing this together.  
I dont know what am feeling its hard to explaine its feeling u get when u need to stretch am gettin that all day for 2 days now and its scary and my hands sweat plus my heart feels like it stops then starts and get a rushing feeling and feel dizzy an my legs feel weak and also get like i need to be in silence can anyone help me and also get a confused feeling and feeling like i need to yawn
I am 58 yrs old and know exactly what you are going through.  I have been through it all.  I have the exact same symptoms.  If you are exposed to something you are allergic to your body will make adrenaline.....sometimes enough...sometimes not enough.  When I would eat banana's, oatmeal, chicken, several different foods my first symptoms would be the tachyacardia, flopping heart beats, chest discomfort., sometimes hard to breath....lots more.  My heart would go so fast and blood pressure high. I was put on 2 different antihistamines for years and didn't have problems. Now I have become allergic to the antihistamines and my symptoms are really bad.  Foods, smells, the sun, stress can all make the adrenals put out adrenaline Sometimes I don't seem to make enough adrenaline when needed and my heart feels like it has stopped working, like my circulation has stopped. I even went to the er when having a problem and they couldn't get blood out of me.  I thought I was having a heart attack.  I don't care what the doctors say...It is a form of anayphalaxtis.  When I am on low dosages of hydrocortisone my symptom go away.  When I was taking antihistamines around the clock, my symptoms went away.  Try tavist antihistamine (not tavist D) at least twice a day, and see if it helps.  It can't hurt you. I took that along with a low dose of atarax and it helps a lot!
Thank you so much!  I had never even thought of allergies.  I'm definitely going to try your suggestions.  
I have suffered from SVT for many years. At first I used the Valsalva maneuver (holding my breath or bearing down) to slow my heart. Then when the SVT episodes became more frequent, I was put on 50mg of Toprol-XL everyday, which worked for a few years.

Then in late 2006 I had three consecutive SVT episodes, while in the emergency room, at 280bpm. After a really long night in ICU and my ECG results showing that not only did I have SVT I also had PSVT, which means I had two different issues going on, one in each chamber of my heart, a cardiac abation was recommended.

After I got a second opinion and did my research, in January, 2007, using the catheter method, rather than open heart surgery, as its less invasive and has a shorter recovery time, I had the procedure done. The procedure destroyed the abnormal electrical signals in my heart.

So far, I have not had ANY more episodes!!! I do get the occassional palpitations for a couple of seconds, every blue moon. However being off meds everyday and no more ER visits has improved my quality of life tremendously!!

My recommendation, depending on your health insurance, is to find a cardiologist you feel most comfortable with (I went with my third choice, because he was invested in finding a solution to my many years dealing with my SVT isdues).  Once you find your cardiologist, discuss your issues and if warranted, asks for any tests to determine your diagnosis. Also,if you have any episodes, please visit the ER and request an EKG, and ask for copies of your ECG strips to give to your cardiologist. The ECG strips, if the can record your episode, is the most accurate information to determine your diagnosis and next steps.

I hope this information helps.

Good luck!!!
Ya i get that as well bout once a week wWhen i go to sleep as im falling into A ddream i start to notice my heart beat geGetting very slow and weak as i goes to a beat aboutevery 1.5 seconds every time the beat stops i get a big adrenaline rush but before the rush i heat loud intense vibrations in my ears aand i get a floating feeling its so atrange i feel like im dying for a quick second and boom back to life
Have you been tested for pheochromocytoma?
It's a good tip for people experiencing these symptoms. That said, I haven't been.
Your comment has helped me alot, I'm 22. Diagnosed with MVP right after high school. Didn't really no how to cope with it. All I new is I didn't feel the same as I used to or could do the same things.  I didn't know why. I can't play ball anymore for My heart skips/flutters to point where I almost pass out then having a blast of adrenaline I guess is what it is pressure in stomach to ears and head.  Doctors say I have anxiety. I can agree. Not taking anything for it though. I'm guess MVP cause the anxiety. Taking cardizem for skipped beats and stuff but not seeming to help. They happen constantly now. Not sure why they just won't calm down. I mean in high school I never felt this way. Constantly active. Now it's like my life shot down the drain. Any input would help me. Doctors blow me off thinking I'm to young. But I feel what's happening I kno it . Just want them to stop so I can be normal again!
I have the same thing ! It used to be once in a lo g time and not to bad at all but this year is had the most and it seems to get worst , and I'm only 16 went to emergency hospital so many times for my heart but they could never find anything wrong and also I went to get my heart monitord and cat scan also ECG the say everything is normal but deep down I know there's somthing I just know there is and it scares me , that's why I'm going to be a good person go to church a lot , and if it is somthing serious and I do die I want to know at least I'm not going down the wrong place , but I noticed when I'm hungover its the worst , like that feeling u diacribed about , it feels like not enough oxygen is coming through even when I'm taking a deep breath or breathing normal , that's exactly how I feel , and I think my lungs are going to calaps , but I mean drinking is part of are religon and I don't want to not drink but I mean its probably somthimg I should really concider stoping ...also iv been getting numb really fast to and random muscles twitching , I really worry about these things , like it could be a part of what u have and me , I feel like the only way the doctors will actually find out what it is ,is when its to the point when its really serious and its happening while ur at the hospital , like they'll be like 'oh well you have this disease or somthing ' and I would be like 'could u not have found that out or thought thats what it might be earlyer ' ugh ...
Hi, im only 12 turning 13 very soon and ive had some type of feeling like everything is slowmotion every one is talking in slowmotion and my heart rate increases alot,i can feel my heart pumping almost like its comeing out my chest. I have had these occurrences for quit a while and they terrify me!! "Im a female"
Hi...
Has anyone considered Mast Cell Activation Disorder/Syndrome?

For some of these it seems almost "classic." Many, many doctors are unfamiliar with the disorder and/or do not consider it.

Someone mentioned possible relationship between food and symptoms...good idea because often with MCAD, food can be a trigger.

Vasovagal issues have also been mentioned...also a good possibility.

However, if you haven't considered MCAD, I encourage you to research it and see if anything matches. Don't let some of the "extreme" forms of it freak you out...just try to stay focused on whether it sounds like what you are going through and remember that the treatment is as "simple" as antihistamines along with something like a leukatrine inhibitor (montelukast aka Singulair).  

I with you all the very best!

Lonna

Oh, here is a website about MCAD (or MCAS...mast cell activation syndrome).

http://www.medpagetoday.com/resource-center/anaphylaxis/mast-cells/a/37978
Hi...

I am so sorry you are going through these things. I hope my post can help.

For some of these posts the symptoms seem almost "classic." Many doctors are unfamiliar with the disorder and/or do not consider it.

Someone mentioned possible relationship between food and symptoms...good idea because often with MCAD, food can definitely trigger the symptoms mentioned if you have MCAD/MCAS, as can various scents, temperature (extreme hot/cold), exercise, fatigue, the list goes on. Any of those and many more things can trigger the symptoms. Hot showers/baths can even elicit symptoms in MCAD/MCAS.  Symptoms are as you described (and may include some or all of them simultaneously or different symptoms at different times, seemingly not connected but they are all the result of this MCAD). Symptoms can include: cardiac symptoms, gastrointestinal, neurological, cutaneous (skin), basically it can cause symptoms in any organ system in your body (and possibly more than one).

If you have not considered MCAD, I encourage you to research the condition and see if it seems to match what you are going through.

There are also some "extreme" versions of the disorder...please don't let those freak you out...it can be scary to read about those. But take heart knowing that even if the mast cell issue sounds like a carbon copy of what you have been going through...it is much more likely that it is the MCAD/MCAS, rather than some of the other more "extreme" and very rare forms of an actual mast cell disease. Take comfort in realizing that the treatment can be as "simple" as antihistamines (high doses gradually increasing to several times per day) along with something like a leukotriene inhibitor (montelukast aka Singulair) daily. A good allergist can help with this!  

I wish you all the very best!

Lonna

Oh, here is a website about MCAD/MCAS

Thanks to Lonna94 for her post about MCAD. Could be relevant to some who have posted here.

(Like this thread, I'm still alive, by the way. Palps are pretty situational now.)
You are all suffering from anxiety / panic attacks
Troll on to some other thread, please.
I read through most of this thread and was so interested by your original post describing your symptoms.  I have been feeling this way for years but have never been able to describe it in a coherent way.  I also get these quick adrenaline rushes as my heart pauses and I feel scared that it will not restart.  This causes me to immediately feel my neck to see if I can detect my heart beat.  At times, I can't detect it (although it must just be too faint to feel otherwise I would be passed out), then of course I launch into a panic which speeds up my heart rate and causes me to feel dizzy.  

My history with PVC's began over 13 years ago when I began experiencing them out of the blue.  They didn't cause any panic at that time, just felt like a "normal" pvc with a pause and a thud.  Sometimes I would get them a few times in a minute, other times they would disappear for weeks.  I received a full workup from a cardiologist at that time and the only thing he found was mitral valve prolapse.  I managed to live fine with my heart palps for the next few years since I knew they were not life threatening.  Then, out of the blue, I began experiencing the kind of palpitation with the adrenaline rush and dizziness.  Most were brought on by social anxiety because the first time it happened, I was in the middle of a conversation then felt panicky and wanted to run out of the room.  This would cause so much embarassment however, that I tried to ride out the anxiety and continue my face to face conversation while also trying to contain my extreme anxiety that I would simply collapse while speaking to this person.  Since this initial incident, I have this happen repeatedly when meeting new people or having to socialize at cocktail parties.  My crazy palpitations begin, the adrenaline flows, and I want to run out of the room.
My GP says anxiety is bringing this all on and has given me xanax and propranolol for situational social anxiety.  I have yet to test it out since I also have a phobia that I will react adversely to the medication.
Your posting finally make me feel like I am not alone and completely crazy.  I do think I may suffer from full blown mitral valve prolapse syndrome and it seems the way to control it is through meds.
Wundergecko, I hope you are doing better with your episodes.  Like you said, we are all still here.  My big problem is that I have to attend events and cocktail parties and appear social and interested and entertaining.  However my fear of having one of my episodes is so disabling I can't cope.  The next event I go to, I am going to try the meds the dr. gave me and hope for the best.

I also wanted to add that after a few years of suffering from occasional bouts of PVC's, they became so frequent and numerous that I was suffering from thousand of them every day.  I would have at lease 20 PVC's in a minute, all day every day, even during sleep.  They would occasionally wake me up in the middle of the night.  They were so bothersome but I was always told that they were not life threatening and since I didn't want to take beta blockers, would just have to live with them.  Well, at one of my physicals a few years ago, my GP suggested that low magnesium levels can sometimes cause these PVC's.  She tested my blood level and it came back in the low end of the normal range and she did not recommend supplements.  I decided to read up more about magnesium and found a book called the Magnesium Miracle.  I decided to try supplementing to see if it would help at all and began taking a 1:1 ration of magnesium glycerinate and calcium.  (About 500 milligrams each).  Well it took a few months but surprisingly my PVC's diminished by probably 95%.  I now have a few episodes scattered through the day but never have them at night anymore and never have runs where my heart is flip flopping every other beat for hours on end.  It truly was a miracle for me.  It has not cured the PVC's I get from anxiety as I described in the post above, but it has made me feel nearly normal the rest of the time.
Hi imanning,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering from heart stuff like the rest of us, but glad that the magnesium has helped so much with the day to day PVCs. If you were having something like 20 a minute, I don't know how you coped! I am doing better, thanks - my problems are mostly sleep-related now. I can't sleep on my back without my heart going crazy, but I can live with that.

Social anxiety and medication anxiety are hard. I would definitely recommend that you give one or both of your meds a try and see how you feel. Think about it this way: there so many risks in life that have a lot of unpredictability associated with them (you could get hit by a bus or a stray bullet upon leaving your house, for example), but Xanax and propranolol have gone through trials, have been on the market a while and seem very safe for those without contraindications. I was a bit scared to take propranolol myself but now I think it's great. Maybe you could try that one first and then if you still need it, add the Xanax. Up to you and your doctor, of course, but maybe trying out just one at a time would help you get past the phobia of an adverse reaction. You could also give it a test run before you have to be social, when you're just chilling out at your house, so you'll be able to reassure yourself that if things get weird somehow, you won't be in front of people.
Thanks for you reply.  I'm glad to hear you are doing so much better.  Do you think it is because of the propranolol?  I've read that it can really help with the adrenaline surges and that is what I have a hard time dealing with on my own.  What you've said about trying the medication one at a time and at home to test it out is exactly what I was thinking of doing.  I have a holiday event coming up that I am already anxious about.  Are you taking any other medication besides the beta blocker?

Also, what you mentioned about all of the other risks in life that can be unpredictable and the fact that the medications have been used safely for years by millions - it all makes so much sense to me.  Unfortunately, the fears I have are irrational and even though I know they are irrational, when the panic and anxiety sets in and the adrenaline surges, I have such a hard time being rational.  Most of my life, before my phobias became established, I was a very calm, logical and sensible person.  Now I feel so crazy sometimes because I feel as I will totally lose control and collapse, faint, or at the very least, run out of the room when in stressful social situations.  Although I have suffered from PVC's for 13 years, this social anxiety part (which I believe developed because of the PVC's) started 2 years ago.  

I am going to try the medication because I feel as if it's my last chance at being normal again.  
I think it's down to a lot of things for me, mostly not medication-related. In 2006 I was on propranolol daily for a while, but have only taken it as needed since then. I currently take one 40mg pill about every 10 days or so, on average. No other meds.

I think that for me personally - and of course everyone's need to do this or not will be different - what helped most was working on myself. I can't remember how much I've said about all that in this thread, but basically, I was extremely anxious all the time and had no idea that I was so anxious. I also had other psychological/emotional inclinations to work on. That's not to say that there isn't some SVT pathway or something that makes me more susceptible to this stuff, just that - and I wouldn't ask anyone to take my word for it - the mind and body are extremely integrated and things got a lot easier when I was able to see this and deal with my life accordingly.

I would say that being exposed to CBT-style methods was the first thing that really helped me take control of my own thoughts. Other things that helped: EFT, chakra cleansing, personal development articles. I know how that sounds to some people (e.g. I would, and pardon the dissonant phrasing, be crucified on an atheist/skeptic/rationalist forum), but I cared more about being able to function than about cultural approval of my methods. I didn't concentrate on these two till later, but a good diet and regular aerobic exercise are also really great and the exercise bit has helped me a lot. I think it's contributed to me having hardly any daytime palps now, as my heart is stronger. A bonus is that I don't worry about my heart when I get out of breath going up the stairs, because I don't get out of breath going up the stairs.

I hope you're able to find a combination of things that work for you, whatever they may be. I understand what you're saying about knowing that certain fears are irrational but feeling them and having to deal with them anyway, and the impact this can have on your life. Do try the medication and best of luck with it all!

PS - I do still get adrenaline surges on rare occasions. Propranolol is great for dampening these, but while it's kicking in, a thing that helps me is telling myself that my body's just gone a little nuts but it's temporary and I'll survive it just like I always have before. Kind of like being in the ocean and waiting for a wave to pass, which it always will. If you can convince yourself of this it helps avoid prolonging the surge through worrying that it's fatal, that you'll faint, etc.

I read your initial post and a few of the comments, however there are so many replies I admittedly have not read them all, so if something I mention has already been explained then I apologize.

I am 27 years old and about two weeks ago I had what I can only describe as a completely random panic attack. I had never suffered one before, so when it happened I was, to say the least, quite terrified. I was sat on my couch watching TV when all of a sudden a strange feeling came over my entire body and my heart began to race. I shot up from the sofa and paced around my kitchen, hand on chest convinced I was having a heart attack. It seemingly went away as quickly as it started and my heart soon slowed down to a normal rate; nonetheless I was still considerably shaken after this experience.

A few days later I felt terribly weak/dizzy, much like the symptoms of a virus, only without the nausea, and I would also experience short surges of adrenaline intermittently throughout the day. They weren't often, but regular enough to cause concern. Eventually I started to feel better, however I still experienced these short surges of adrenaline. I went a few days without any surges at all, but today I have had two or three surges and figured I should at least investigate what the hell is going on. So I came across your post from over 4 years ago and here I am.

I'll give you some details about myself for some context. I have always been an anxious/nervous person, however I have never, repeat never, had an anxiety attack of any kind before that one incident I mentioned, which is why it was so frightening, given that I was simply sat watching TV. I have sometimes let my nervousness get the best of me, which resulted in near panic attacks, but I always managed to calm myself down. I won't go into detail, but I have a lot going on in my life, however I tend to not let things worry me (or at least I thought I didn't) and never spend much time thinking about my troubles. From what one person said in a reply to you, I am wondering if my fears are manifesting themselves in the form of these adrenaline surges. I am a smoker and a chemist friend of mine suggested that perhaps the albeit very brief lack of oxygen to my brain was causing my body to overcompensate with these surges. I don't think this is the case, as I have suffered a couple of surges even without having a smoke. I don't necessarily have the healthiest diet and have put on a little weight recently, I also consume a lot of caffeine on a daily basis, not to mention an irregular sleeping pattern, which from what I have read could be contributing to these anxiety surges.

I have been aware of my anxious disposition for a long time, yet I always believed I was self-aware enough to overcome any kind of problems anxiety threw at me. I don't really like being in unfamiliar social situations, but with a couple of drinks in me I can make small talk with the best of them. Perhaps this is my body's way of telling me to work on my emotional state, although I consider myself a well reasoned, rational person that hardly ever gets angry or stressed out. I have a great relationship and can count on one hand the number of arguments I've had with my partner of 5 years, so it is even more troubling to me that something is causing these adrenaline surges with the aloof attitude to life that I have.

I would just like to thank you for your original post, as suffering these surges can be quite scary at times and you, plus everybody else that commented let me know I am not alone, which made me feel a lot better. Just to clarify, I have had no real heart troubles since that one incident; it is mostly just a matter of these pesky adrenaline surges.
Many people confuse a panic attack with a bout of SVT, supraventricular tachycardia.  It's important to know the difference as the treatment for each is very different.  When SVT starts, it comes on suddenly.  With that there is often a surge of adrenaline as it's very startling and disconcerting.  You may feel a uncomfortable pressure in your chest area, It's not uncommon to pace around and feel a little breathless.  But stop for a moment, and feel your pulse in your wrist or neck.  A panic attack heart rate is measurable. An SVT heart rate is usually too fast to accurately count.  Typical SVT rates are 3 to 4 beats per second, and you'll quickly lose count.  SVT ends abruptly as it starts.  Adrenaline will often cause the sinus rate to be elevated slightly as you come out of SVT, but when SVT ends, it's unmistakable.  If you drop from 240 to 100 beats per minute, you know it.  And I think you have to use a little logic too in determining what you just experienced.  Panic attacks build. They feed on themselves going from an uneasy feeling to panic and hyperventilation.  SVT begins in an instant and is often accompanied by a head rush, and surge throughout the body

I am amazed at how this particular topic resurfaces.  The title describes perfectly the feeling when SVT commences.  I think viewers see it, and say "Hey, this what I'm feeling too!"  

I can't stress how important it is to differentiate between SVT and anxiety or panic attacks.  While the symptoms may feel similar, the treatment is entirely different.  If a physician treats you for panic attacks when you really have SVT, you most likely will continue to have episodes.  Reporting this, you will be given stronger medication, continuing down the wrong path.  Treatment for anxiety neurosis ie. panic attacks include some dungs you don;t want to needlessly get involved with.  I know this as my wife is on several.  While drugs like Paxil (Paroxetine), Effexor (Venlafaxine), and other SSRI's and SNRI's work miracles for anxiety, they "bind" tightly with your body. Once you're one them, getting off of them is extremely slow, hard and painful, and you should not needlessly take them if you really don't have an anxiety issue.  

In summation I suggest to those who may find this thread because it describes their symptoms to stop for moment, and listen to their body, try to count the pulse, and use a little logic in determining what they may actually experiencing.  If you go to a physician, just describe the symptoms and how it occured.  Don't lead the physician with accounts of feeling anxious.  I assure you that all of us who have SVT feel anxious every single time one occurs.  Don't accidentally get put on the path of a wrong diagnosis!
Everything original poster mentioned , is happening to me aswell
triggers = masturbation , lack of sleep , alcohol
I , do also think that i have that sleep syndrome you have been mentioning since i haven't fallen asleep before 2-3  am since ages. So it might be associated?
I'm glad you have posted this.  I also have had a few bouts of palpitations and/tachycardia.  I don't think the doctors know what it is.  The first time it happened when I really thought I was dying, I was 37.  I was drinking a lot of wine from age 33-37, and having periodic bouts of bulimia.  I also drank a lot of coffee.  After the episode when I was 37, I was at work in a retail fashion store, and a customer said something that made me think of my children.  I went through a bitter divorce when I was 34, and my ex took my kids from me.  Ever since then, I would numb myself with alcohol to escape from the pain.  Sometimes I would drink a bottle and a half.  So, I had done that one night, had a bout of bulimia, woke up the next morning, drank 2 large cups of coffee and went to work.  At 3pm, I had not eaten all day, and a customer said something that made me think of how much I love my children.  And all of a sudden, my heart started pounding, and I felt like I was going to faint.  I got very weak.  I asked to go on break, and I went into Starbucks to get water and a scone.  I could barely chew and swallow.  I got kind of sweaty and clammy.  I looked around me and everyone seemed really far away.  I felt like I was in a bad movie, when I was having a crisis, and everyone around me seemed as peaceful as could be---reading books, on computers, talking with friends.  It seemed so surreal.  I started repeating to myself in my mind, "You're not going to die.  You're going to be fine."  My heart was still racing.  I walked back to work and told my boss I had to go.  I drove myself home, and it was still racing.  It had been going on for 2 hours.  I went to my Mom's, and she seemed rather annoyed that I was bothering her because she had to go to work.  I told her that I needed to go to the hospital.  They took my labs, and my Potassium was low.  I was diagnosed with palps.  When I got there, my BP was about 155/92 and then got to normal 120/80.   I went to the cardiologist, and my EKG was fine.  I had an Echo, and my heart was great!  Nothing abnormal.  They told me to cut out alcohol and caffeine.  I did.  Shortly thereafter, I got pregnant with my 4th child. :)  BP was great, I felt great.  No palps the entire pregnancy.  After my daughter was born, I wanted to have wine again.  One night, I drank a whole bottle, and went to work the next day.  I started to get that funny feeling again, like I had to eat.  I left work and went to the grocery store, and was FREEZING.  I could not get warm.  I looked at the thermometer and it was 80 degrees outside, and I had the heat on full blast in my car to get warm.  I saw this couple holding hands/kissing, and I thought I was going to vomit.  I drove myself to the hospital for rapid heartbeat.  My pulse was 120 bpm when I got there, BP was 155/95.  Some of my labs were a little skewed, but the doctor said it was nothing to worry about, because it wasn't too out of range.  My heart rate returned to normal, BP went to normal.  That was about a month and a half ago.  Since then, I've had no alcohol, and have decided that I just won't be able to have it again for the rest of my life.  I cut out all caffeine.  I also put on 20 pounds with the pregnancy (and I am a small 5'2" so 20 pounds is a lot), and I haven't been able to take it off.  I jog/walk 3 miles/5 days a week, and lift hand weights.  Still can't take off the weight.  That has never happened to me before.  I've always been able to lose the pounds if I gain weight.  I've also stopped with the bulimia episodes, since that was a trigger too.  However, I've been drinking caffeine free diet cokes, and Zero Cokes, and it happened again tonight!  This time it happened without alcohol or caffeine.  I have been doing a lot of work lately and am under a pretty tight deadline, so I am worried about finishing the work.  I also have two vacations coming up with me and my 4 children, which is going to be a lot of driving, and while I look forward to it, I worry about if my car is going to make it, if I'll be able to handle all their episodes of panic/fighting with each other, and if I'll have enough money to pay for it all.  I also have a big legal filing that is due at the end of July, a speeding ticket  that I am disputing, and another court date regarding a lawsuit at the beginning of August.  So, I have been stressed.  I started to have that feeling of butterflies in my stomach, as if something awesome was about to happen!  It reminded me when I was a child and that used to happen.  But it was not awesome, it was rapid heartbeat.  I had to tell myself again, "You're going to be fine.  It will go away."  And it did, but I found this site as I was going through it, and it was helpful to read about other people's experiences with it.  I think it might be anxiety attacks, too.  I don't know what it is, but it is really scary.  I am sensitive to it because my father died of a heart attack unexpectedly when he was 63.  My mom said he started to have palpitations when he was in his 30s.  He was military, and the military treated it with Valium.  I worry about it, but I know I am going to be fine.  The heart is made of electrical impulses, so I wonder what happens.  I also felt nauseated when I was going through it---dizzy and weak also.  I am feeling better now.  It could also be lack of sleep.
hello, I have been experiencing this "adrenaline rush" thingy too but I didn't know what to call it.  I was calling it a "Flush throughout my body afterwards".
So I am going to tell a bit of my story now.  I am so grateful to have found this forum.  I hope you guys don't mind if I ramble on.

I have been experiencing heart palpitations for a while now due to what I self-diagnosed myself as a symptom of black mould exposure.  Initially when I had the black mould poisoning, I felt as if my heart was going to explode, then I had dry heave vomiting, and I went out and curled up on the dock trying to breathe.  It hurt for me to breathe deeply in the middle of my body.  So I have become allergic to many things in the air but I haven't done any allergy tests because my doctor wouldn't let me.  

I went and got the standard tests done including an angiogram for the palpitations because one Nurse Practitioner said I had a possible infarct, but the cardiologist said I didn't have an infarct because I guess she doesn't believe in black mould, or that a healthy 40 year old man would have an infarct out of the blue for no reason.  All the test came back normal and they say I'm fine.

Recently, and this is new, starting maybe 4 months ago, I started slowly getting a pain in my left chest area, accompanied by radiating pain down my left arm, like a pressure on my left chest area and sort of like a stabbing jabbing type of pain.  Around three weeks ago I was lying down in a tent that I set up in a forest because I can't breathe in my current housing, and there were a lot of loud animals outside my tent so I sat up and held my breathe to hear more clearly if I was in danger.  Then my heart started racing uncontrollably like it was going to burst out of my chest.  I tried to relax but it wouldn't calm down.  I thought I was going to die right there.  A week later I was at my brothers place and there is good air there.  I slept like a baby the first night after drinking a bunch of alcohol, but the second night, again, totally relaxed in bed, my heart started racing uncontrollably accompanied my the gnawing chest pain.  I wrestled with my racing heart for most of the night, I couldn't sleep trying to relax the whole time.

2 days ago, I woke up to the most scariest "stoppage" and racing, dizzy, heavy breathing.  So I went to the hospital and they did a few tests and said everything was normal.  I forgot to mention, this phenomenon is accompanied with heavy breathing like no matter how much I breathe I can't get enough oxygen into me, also I am experiencing extreme fatigue, like I'm fighting an infection or something.

Tonight I'm staying at my sisters place trying to get some good sleep and last night I slept very well, tonight, I lay down and my heart is just pumping way to fast, I feel it vibrating and physically moving my body, my heart area hurts, and I can't relax for sleep because my heart is on high alert.   How I would describe the feeling is as if I had a whole bunch of coffee.  It's like my heart goes on anxious level, and won't settle down.  I try all sorts of mind over matter, even meditating or trying reiki on myself, and it still won't let me sleep and scares me incredibly.

I heard that dehydration can cause heart problems so I got up and drank two glasses of water.

I also have been experiences bowel trouble which may be an undiagnosed hernia which me be a contributing factor as someone else mentioned here earlier.  I am sitting up now, and I'm not noticing the heart very much as I am focused on writing this out, but I'm scared to try to go back to sleep.
I have been sleep deprived for over two years now due to not being able to breathe in the 6 places I have tried living at, I keep ending up in a bad air place.  So sleep is so important for me.  The air hear is good for my breathing but now my heart is keeping me up!!!!!!   I will have to move again and find a better place for breathing, but with this heart problem, I don't have the energy to do anything, and I feel like giving up.  I have been fighting to survive for so long now it seems, and this heart thing is like the last straw, I just don't know if I've got what it takes to advocate for myself or figure this out.  My friends and family don't understand and the doctors have been unhelpful so far.

Thank you for reading and if you want to add me as a friend please do.  I want to connect with people who aren't going to think I'm crazy or think that this is just anxiety or all in my head.
I see there is an option here to "add to watch list" and "join this community" I check mark them but how do I "enter" it?
Although my cardiologist cannot say for sure I have SVT I believe that is what it is. I have had echos, sleep apnea test, allergy and asthma test, 24 hour monitors, 30 day monitors, ekg's and most recently blood work, 24 hour monitor and a stress echo. All have showed normal sinus rhythm (athough tachycardia at times) except PAC's and PVC's. Although I was told I had mild Mitral Valve Prolapse in 2002 my most recent stress echo showed none, even though my doc says he hears a "click" or "slight murmur". Whatever this fast heart rate is it wakes me up out of my sleep ( it's always at night). I feel almost like I'm about to have a panic attack (just generally unwell weird feeling) even though my heart is not initially always racing upon waking. I feel nauseaous have to go to the bathroom and then my heart just takes off. Had an episode last night and I actually vomited. The highest mine has ever gotten is 161 but unfortunately it has never been caught. At this point thank God it only happens every couple months and I can get it to stop with vagal maneuvers pretty quickly. I take Atenolol only 12.5 a day because ironically it drops my heart rate in the 50's at rest. Sorry for the long post. I was actually pretty excited because I had attributed it to prilosec because each time I started it I had an episode. I have been taking zantac and I am currently having my monthly (sorry if that's TMI). Just feel so bad because I'm scared to go anywhere now for fear of it happening since I went from having no episodes to getting them now every couple of months. I feel like eventually they will start coming more frequently. My last episode when it was 150 my heart had gotten down to 120 when I was at ER and they said it was normal sinus rhythm. How do I know the difference if its IST, SVT or even something else?
Hi Skipolot. Sorry to hear you've got all this going on. My heart acts up at night too, if I lie on my back. I wake up with it really pounding. Not fun at all. No idea what-all's going on there. Vagus nerve? I think some of just just have weird heart behavior that may never be definitively diagnosed. I don't know how to tell what either of ours is in terms of IST, SVT or other. Mine responds to vagal maneuvers, like yours. In my head I call it SVT because it seems to behave about like that. My little collection of weird heart activity is still with me but it's not too bad these days. I hope yours gets better and not worse. Try to see what correlations there are and see how much it improves if you can avoid triggers. For example, I know that I'm in for palps and maybe SVT/pseudo-SVT if I combine multiple triggers (caffeine, exhaustion, sugar, emotional distress, etc). When I have problems, I take propranolol and that helps a lot. I'm still here :). Sorry I can't be more helpful and best of luck to you. Update us if you find out more.
hi , ive just had one of them episodes now and im pretty freaked out tbh , im 20 years of ae but i can recall startin to get them when i was about 17 but only every 2 months or so but over the past 12 month ive been gettin them very very frequently. i work for a casino dealing poker and sometime out of the blue i et this and after my heart socalls(restarts again) i get the adrenaline rush and hae to jump up of the table and start to panic , eventually it calms down. im start to get the at least twice a week now and they seem to be lasting longer and loner , the onei just had now i was convinced i was gonna die and i had to wake my brother up saying to help me. i really need some advice , ive noticed this pae has been going for over 5 years now , surely someone found out what it is in that time ? please get back to me soon ,  thanks
Here is my story.  I write this in a hotel room in Johannesburg, South Africa.  I am 40 yrs old and the CEO of a listed company.  Today, for no rhyme or reason on the plane I started to feel dizzy, my pulse rate went up, missed a few beats and pretty much raced for the rest of the day.  I popped a beta blocker which brought it down to normal as I cannot stand the feeling. As my heart raced throughout the day I became more and more panicked - arms and legs were tingling, felt dizzy etc.  This lasted the whole afternoon.

In 2005 I had a random episode of atrial fibrillation which lasted 12 hours and self corrected.  Had all the tests done and everything was fine and they advised that it was a random event.  Since then I feel every ectopic beat I get and when I get them, I still panic which sends the heart racing.  I have had multiple echo's, EKG's, stress tests etc and am always told my heart is in great shape - in fact, I had one as recently as a month ago.  

You would think given all the tests I have had, especially considering I have just had one, that when a random event of a racing heart strikes I should be able to deal with it - I am ashamed to say I still struggle deeply.  People have real problems, heart disease, cancer, epilepsy etc and here am I freaking out over something I have been told by experts is fine - why is that?

Here is why

Due to the randomness of these PVC's etc we never know when they are going to strike - we them find ourselves constantly waiting for the next one which puts you in a constant anxious state which results in more PVC's!  All we want is to not have them - they go away for a while, we think we are done with them and then they strike!  What I battle to deal with is the dissapointment of admitting that they are not gone for good and I have to deal with them again (sometimes I go for months without any - think I am clear and then WHAM!)

It is the vulnerability that I cannot stand, it is the constant guessing that I cannot stand, it is the pulse checking, the no coffee rule, the no red wine rule, the no big meal rule etc etc - we must (speaking for myself) be seriously boring people to have around.

I have taken the following decision - no longer will they get to me.  This is my Achilles heal and I am blessed to have it rather than something serious.  God has given us finite time on this earth and there is no point moping around waiting for the next jolt and not enjoying life - as it says in Mathew - worry cannot add one second to our lives - our time is our time so really, what are we worrying for - it will not change a thing!!!  And besides, these palpitations are benign!!!

What has helped me reduce them is;

Low carbs
Low caffene
No red wine - which *****!
Reduce sugar
Try and reduce stress
Exercise

All of the above are good for us anyway so we  may as well just suck it up and do it.  Magnesium supplements help me massively.

Lastly, carry a beta blocker as a crutch - if the pulse goes mad, pop one and just keep on trucking!

I hope this helps someone out there as I have dealt with this for 10 years, am still around and still coming to terms with them

Good luck, Gold bless
there are a couple of things i like to mention that may help you friends.

1. things we are experiencing , are not fatal. its a problem with heart signals and even in its very most severity for a healthy heart usually dosen't end up killing anyone.
let me tell you something about arrhythmia , arrhythmia that kill people are usually caused by heart attacks , obesity , cardiological problems , old age and bad genes. so please do a check up on your general health and heart.. if you didn't have the risk factors then the chance of you dying because of this is actually lowest possible.

this is important. cause when people experience these , they develop death phobia and that make this happen more and with more severity and ruin life quality as well.

2. I seen many of you keep testing your heart. stop doing the same thing over and over again. if you had holter tests , an echo and stress echo and 2-3 ECG then move on. a lot of other things can cause this but the heart itself. neurological problems , Anexity , drugs side effects even even gastritis and acid reflux

3. use a pulse oximeter , its a device that shows your heart beat per minute and your blood oxygen. but most importantly your pulse graph. wear it. and wait for next attack to happen. if your heart skip a beat then the graph will drop to zero. and if your blood oxygen started to drop as well then you know you have a heart condition. if none of these happened then you obviously are stressing yourself over nothing life threatening.

4. the heart beat raise and palpitation most of you develop after a heart skipped beat is adrenaline side effects not a heart condition. the body goes into a adrenaline shock. it suddenly faces a near death experience(or so you make it think unwantedly) and your heart pulse goes up at once. and you get a pounding heart that you can feel it.

5. Magnesium supplements really do miracle about this problem. in addition to this please try beta blockers pay attention beta blockers lose most of their efficiency if you take them after the attack. so its better to take them daily and on a regular basis to avoid the condition although it can help to treat it as well sometimes.

6. please sleep well. try to sleep.. do whatever it takes to sleep. bad sleep make this stuff happening 100x more than other times.

7. Oversensitivity about this will ruin your life and get you in more trouble , at the end worrying all the time for this doesn't immune you against it possible bitter ends. so let it go.dont over think it it will lead to over sensitivity and that will ruin just everything. do a full scale of check up. take special care with supplements and anti stress exercises and sleep enough and i assure you it will work better that putting even more pressure on your heart by over-thinking and lots of stress.
A lot of good advice and observations for people in that post, Medive. Thank you.