very strange heart sensation followed by adrenaline rush and fast heartbeat - very worried about this
Hi. I'm a 26 year old female, neither fat nor skinny, no smoking, only occasional alcohol use. Prior to what I'm about to describe, the only heart issues I had were: occasional flip-flopping feeling which knocked the wind out of me but only happened maybe a few times a year, and a sort of flip-flopping or difficulty beating when lying down on my left side (sometimes, not every time I lay this way - started around age 13).

Background: Three years ago something happened to me that I still haven't figured out - my heart started beating very fast and my BP went way up (so high that with every heartbeat I could see the tiny capillaries in my eyes as an overlay on my visual field). Paramedics couldn't bring them down so took me to "A&E" (aka the ER - I'm American but live in England). Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happened (that I'm aware of) prior to this incident, except for insertion of Mirena IUD one week prior - I do still have it but now think I'll have it removed.

Thus began months of seemingly random 'attacks' during which I'd get varying combinations of tachycardia, high BP, tremors esp in left leg, lightheadedness, inability to fully inhale, feeling of not getting enough oxygen even if I could breathe properly, and the list goes on. I also had a terrible feeling of physical anxiety (churning stomach, agitation, etc) but with no mental anxiety as the apparent cause!!! Attacks could last minutes or hours and any combination of symptoms would happen. And in between attacks, my heart would regularly do many strange things - tachy, brady, irregular rhythm, extremely forceful beats, 'flip-flopping' feelings, etc.

I also sometimes experienced a sensation of the heart stopping and restarting - immediately after the restart I would feel a MASSIVE, uncomfortable surge of adrenaline and the heart would beat very fast for a little while. I could never figure out if I was getting an adrenaline surge that caused some odd heart behaviour that I felt before I actually felt the adrenaline, or what. Sometimes my heart would also start beating EXTREMELY fast from resting for no reason at all - it was literally immediate - this was also accompanied by an adrenaline rush but no preceding feeling of the heart stopping.

These incidents gradually decreased in frequency over time, along w/ the other symptoms, until after three years I was feeling mostly recovered from whatever got me. I viewed myself as not entirely back to normal, but almost there. UNTIL a couple of days ago, when I had another (random as always - I was just riding in the car reading, no stress) heart stoppage -> restart -> adrenaline event. This one was the second most severe one I've ever had and I thought I might die. Luckily the heart DID start pumping again so I'm still here. By now I'm pretty familiar with flip-floppings and extra-strong beats, etc, and this definitely feels very different and much more worrying. I am afraid that if it happens again, the heart might not start on its own.

I should also say that when I say it 'stops', I mean it seems to stop pumping blood...I get the impression there is still activity going on in the heart but that blood is not being circulated. Could it be ventricular fibrillation, or ...? Maybe adrenaline is not causing this, but rather my heart goes into an abnormal rhythm and my body releases adrenaline in an attempt to self-shock into proper rhythm?

During the most severe incident in '06 or '07, my colleagues said I turned "white as a sheet" while it was happening. That time, I was clawing at my chest (reflex reaction, I didn't actually think that would help) and thinking "please start please start please start", knowing I'd die if it didn't. That time, it felt like the heart was quivering/fluttering but not pumping. All other times including the one a couple of days ago, it has sort of felt like the heart is contracting in extreme slow motion, or having some sort of muscle cramp.  

I cannot figure this out and would welcome any insight anyone has to offer. After it all began in 06, I had a stress test (slightly above avg exercise tolerance), echo (normal), stress echo (normal) and many ECGs. The cardio said my heart was perfectly healthy. No evidence of MVP (which I thought I might have). He said the only thing to remark on was that the heart was smallish, but not abnormally so.

My GP diagnosed me w/ 'anxiety attacks' w/out finding it necessary to order any physical testing whatsoever. (The above cardio is a friend of my parents who saw me while I was on vacation in the US). GP put me on citalopram which I went along w/ just to be cooperative, and propranolol to help regulate what he viewed as anxiety-induced tachy. Did not seem to find it significant that symptoms did not occur during periods of actual mental anxiety. Said it might be pheochromocytoma, but that he wouldn't bother testing as that's so rare. Ashamed to say I didn't and still haven't actually demanded said testing.

All ECGs were normal except once at A&E when they caught random very hard beats interspersed w/ regular beats - v. hard beats could be seen as an extra-long downward spike on the readout. Of their own volition (as opposed to at my request), A&E sent this to a cardio (different one) who didn't bother to look at it and just told me not to worry. Thanks, buddy! So, not really knowing how to interpret these readouts, I still don't know if that was significant.

I'm currently seeing a neurologist for delayed sleep phase syndrome. After hearing all this, he very kindly volunteered to arrange for me to use the clinic's Holter monitor; he'll then send the tape to a cardiologist. Not sure when this will happen, though, as it's the NHS (meaning things do not tend to happen promptly).

At the time of the latest incident, I was on amoxicillin but no other meds continuously, although I have been taking lansoprazole at night only, for a week and a half to two weeks. A few days prior to the incident, I had taken myself off of the pramipexole that I'd been on for a week, as I was having trouble swallowing (for which the amoxicillin and lanso were prescribed - possible sinus/throat infection or gastric reflux - doc and I wanted to attack on both fronts in order to avoid the return of the laryngospams I'd had during recent respiratory infection).

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help...
It sounds like anxiety, however, I would see a cardiologist for all this. You said you had seen one in 2006, well, I think I would see one again as your symptoms are not getting better and you are describing things that really only a qualified cardiologist can help you with.

Good luck and please keep us posted. I know how scary these things are, I have them, and at times, you really DO feel like you are going to die, it is the worse feeling ever, in my opinion.
Hi SassyLassie,

Thanks very much for replying! I didn't realize I'd written so much...I doubt anyone else read it :). I may see if I can get to a cardiologist, although unfortunately I can't afford to go private so don't have all that much control over the situation (don't know if you are familiar w/ the British NHS, but your GP has to deem it necessary to refer you to a specialist before you can see one - even then the wait can be long).

I find that some doctors tend not to take me very seriously because I am in my 20s (they assume that the most benign explanation for my symptoms must be the correct one, and say as much). The neurologist I'm seeing seems very good, though, so hopefully he will come through w/ the Holter monitor.

I'm not glad that you have a rambunctious heart too, but I am glad to know I'm not the only one thinking I'm on the verge of death during some of the incidents. Yes, it is the worst feeling ever.

Best of luck to you!

I get that same thing about 2 or 3 times a year.  It isn't the same as the pvcs.  You feel your heart pause for at least a couple of seconds.  Then it switches gears and speeds up.  Mine has been clocked at 220 beats per minute after one of those pauses.  My doctor told me not to worry.  I did get the fast rate caught on tape and it was PAT (a form of svt I think)
My doctor said that the pause felt longer because of the timing of the early beat...then because it was a longer pause, it had time to switch pathways..thus the PAT.  I don't feel any quivering but my doctor said even though I feel nothing in my pulse that it could be beating really fast and weak and I just don't realize it.  Anyway, I was told not to worry so I'm passing that to you.  As long as you have been checked out.
Good luck with the monitor.  
Frenchie
Hi Frenchie,

Thanks so much for posting!!! It does sound like we're experiencing something very similar if not the same. It's good to know I'm not alone. Also good to know what your post-pause tachy has been categorized as...this gives me something to look into should I get checked out again.

I'm glad to hear your doc has given you the OK and this is definitely reassuring for me to hear in terms of my own situation as well. It makes more sense and is less worrying to think that the pause is just part of the oncoming tachy and not an actual stoppage in and of itself.
I can relate to a lot of what you wrote - I haven't clawed at my chest so much as gone into a catatonic state, frozen, hand over my heart or at my carotid, waiting for my heart to start again.

But I've also experienced that very strange sensation of adrenaline rush - for me it feels like a sickening woooosh, I feel flushed in the neck and face, sometimes I sweat a little.  For me it's usually after the episode is over.  First ten or so times it happened it was pretty frightening.  Then I got an event monitor, was able to record quite a few of them, and my cardiologist was unimpressed when she saw the strips.  Diagnosed as "short bursts of PAT" (aka PSVT).  She said I could go days with my heart in that rhythm and it would not harm me.

Oddly enough, once I learned these couldn't kill me, I started having less and less of them.
One other thing - I took a quick look at the side effects of the Mirena IUD, and many of the potential side effects are symptoms you're experiencing:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/mirena-side-effects.html#system_33551

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/mirena-iud.html

Thank you Wisconsin2007 - I did end up having the Mirena taken out at the beginning of Sept. Unfortunately I've still been having some palpitations and today had another scary stop-start event, but I've just had my first real period w/ PMS & everything in about 5 years, so I'm hoping that once my hormones settle down things may improve. Either way, I am just trying to focus on what you and Jkfrench have said, because it sounds like I've got what you've got and it can't kill us. Still waiting on that Holter...
Also thanks for detailing that you also sometimes get the adrenaline rush - this is has been a worrying aspect of the episodes for me as others don't generally seem to describe this. But if you've got something similar on tape as PVST, I think that's a lot more likely to be the issue for me than my heart stopping and adrenaline being released to achieve a shock-paddle effect, which is what sometimes worries me.

I will post here again if I find out anything further about what's behind my symptoms.
You managed to describe your symptoms in a way that I was incapable of  telling my doctor and subsequently cardiologist when the exact episodes started happening to me in 2002. Then, after the ultrasound, EKG and Holter monitor, all the cardiologist could come up with was that one of the chambers of my heart was slightly enlarged, but nothing to worry about.

These attacks went away on their own but came back tonight for the first time in 8 years. The fear of my heart stopping is so great I'm afraid to go back to sleep...  The subsequent "adrenalin surge" is so great that I physically shoot up from bed by the shear force of the momentum of my heart "re-starting".

I can't say I'm under any unusual stress, but I did spend the entire Sunday (today) in the -5C outdoors building an ice rink. I did have about 4 glasses of red wine thereafter though.

Anyways, I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not alone and that the common diagnosis of doctor's is that there is nothing to worry about.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the electrical controls of the heart - perhaps slight changes to diet, environment cause it to temporarily malfunction.
I completely understand everything you wrote and have had similar symptoms.  I just read for the first time about this 'adrenaline surge' , and that it often happens at 4 - 5 in the morning, which makes a lot of sense, because that is when I have had the attacks I've had.  Almost every morning, I wake up at those times.  I have horrible attacks in which I feel like I'm going to die, I have an intense feeling that my heart doesn't beat enough or properly, and then these adrenaline surges, and then I feel much better.  
What I wonder is if these adrenaline surges happen as our bodies' defense to 're-start' our heart and keep us alive because our hearts really are, as we suspect, stopping... or if it's just anxiety and these sensations that are making our adrenaline surge.  How do you find out which came first??

The advice I want to give you though, is to check out your thyroid if you haven't yet.  Especially because of what you said about not having your period for so long.  I have a thyroid disease and I know that these heart-related attacks are connected to that, so check that out asap!
Hi, thanks for replying to my thread! It really helps to know that others are going through this and have not keeled over from it. Sorry to hear you've had another incident after so long :(. I completely understand about the fear it creates...it's terrible.

I also feel like there is something electrical going on here....just not sure exactly what that is or what triggers it. Perhaps it is PAT as a couple of the others have posted? I think that the tachy of PAT stops abruptly, though, whereas with my episodes it just trails off gradually into a normal speed after the adrenaline rush.
Hi Mayush, glad that you too have contributed your experience with this. It must be very stressful waking up most nights with this problem, not to mention how it must be giving you sleep deprivation. For me it doesn't tend to happen when sleeping, or if it does it doesn't wake me up. I do sometimes get irregular and/or very weak heartbeat at night, though (much more when this all began than recently, thankfully). No adrenaline after that for me, though...I just have to endure it until I fall asleep and then it's gone in the morning.

Thanks for the tip about thyroid...is yours overactive, or...? When this heart stuff started for me, I thought it might be that my thyroid was overactive, but the blood tests I had (tests as part of investigating my longer-standing night terrors, not the cardiac symptoms) at that time apparently came back normal for thyroid function.

However, I've heard some things about standard thyroid tests not being completely reliable, so I need to investigate that, I think. I did have another round of blood tests last year as part of being diagnosed with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, and the neurologist who reviewed the results said they indicated borderline sluggish thyroid and that I should have that tested again in the future. If your experience has given you any insight on the most accurate testing/interpretation, please share!

Thanks,

wundergecko
I too have had similar experiences.  Turned as white as a ghost, where complete strangers were asking me if I was ok.  I do have PAC's and tachy, but this is definitely different.  I am convinced my thyroid has something to do with this, but they just can't seem to catch it.  I am considering going to an endocrinologist to see if they can pinpoint something that my GP and cardio have not been able to catch.  My first episode was in 1997,  Best wishes to you and keep us posted on how you're doing.
Dear Wundergecko,
I'm not a medical doctor and therefore cannot give you any "legal"  medical advice.  However, I can tell you that I've suffered from almost the EXACT same symptoms that you have and the chances are very high that you have an anxiety disorder that is manifesting itself in panic attacks.  The trouble with this disorder is that most people that have it don't want to admit it and will (like I did for years) offer up any number of reasons why they don't have it.  I see myself in many of your comments (I was just sitting around not doing anything stressful, etc;)  Many of my worst attacks would come while I was in a hot bath tub completely relaxed and completely out of the blue.  After pressing the docs here in the United States to run every kind of test they could (several years after a massive panic attack sent me to the ER) they have concluded, and I as well, that i am in fact, a victim of panic attacks.  Tthis disorder is directly connected to some very traumatic events that took place in my childhood.  I am a survivor of sexual abuse as a child.  Sometimes deep trauma's that occurred in times past can cause panic attacks that don't surface until many years later.  In my case some 30 years later.  Here's the thing to know about panic attacks - some people will recover fully, some will recover partially, and some will never recover.  I still have incidences of these attacks and through therapeutic tools I've been given I've learned to cope with them although they are definitely not pleasant.  If you've never considered psychiatric care it might be something you want to look into.  Things to definitely avoid eating or drinking...anything that is spicy and anything that has caffeine in it.  When you begin to experience these symptoms just remind yourself that you're O.K., you're not having a heart attack and that you'll be fine in a minute.  The mind is very powerful drug and much better for you than the synthetic stuff the docs will prescribe.  If you, and your docs, think you would benefit from anti-depressants or drugs that can calm you down like Ativan (sp?) then try them but under direct medical supervision.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to anti-depressants.  Remember, these are psychotropic drugs that change the chemistry of the brain and correct dosages are vital.  It will take some time and experimentation under supervision of your doc to get the dosage right.   Thanks for sharing and hang in there!  You can learn to manage this disorder if in fact you discover that you have it.  i hope this helps you.  PEACE
OMG.....I  been having the same thing happen to me for the past 30 years and after doctor after doctor  no one seems to give me a diagnosis other than "anxiety".I dont agree because I work in a Hospital and I am able to take my own vital signs. I have heard my heart beat fast 150bpm then come to a complete stop (no blood pressure) this only last a couple of seconds so it hasnt beed got on monitor or EKG. I am 49 years old and if I have to live like this the rest of my life I sure dont wamt to live it this way. The feeling of an absent of heart beat is very scary so I think the anxiety is second to another cause of disease....
keep me posted on any new diagnosis
Hi Insidescoop1,

Thanks for your comment - it was very interesting to read about your experience. I definitely do have anxiety issues (and OCD) and can get extremely worried on top of my frequent periods of generalised/background anxiety, but the symptoms rarely if ever happen when I'm consciously anxious, so my thinking has been, "If it doesn't happen when I'm extremely worked up, but does happen apparently randomly, how can it be caused by anxiety?" But I don't know. Do you have any thoughts on this issue? Maybe subconscious anxiety can provoke the symptoms, if there is such a thing as subconscious anxiety.

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through as a child, but it is very interesting to see the connection that you have made between that and your panic attacks. I wasn't abused, but I was extremely sensitive as a child and I think that some emotional issues in my family may have damaged me when they would not have done as much damage to most kids. I did get late-onset night terrors (had them aged 17 - 22, now have night-time hallucinations), which apparently are correlated with having experienced extreme trauma.

I have been noticing, since I wrote the original post, that as I am becoming more comfortable socially after a lifetime of being pretty inept, I am getting the heart-stopping-then-adrenaline thing when meeting new people. So that could be a clue that this is an anxiety problem, but in my own case I'm still not fully convinced...I think it is more likely that there is a physical issue that is exacerbated by anxiety and other (unknown) factors.

How long do your panic attacks tend to last? I sometimes get what I call "episodes", where I feel like I'm going to die, get the heart-stopping thing, can't breathe properly, etc - but apparently panic attacks don't last very long, and my episodes can last for a couple of hours.
Hi vangie2010,

That sounds so scary! I've never been taking my pulse or BP while it happens, so haven't actually been able to confirm in that way that the heart stops, but it certainly feels like it.

I will post to this thread if I find out anything more. It's good to know you've made it to 49, although I do get what you mean about not wanting to live with this due to the worry it causes. I was feeling that way when it started, but have made some progress on not worrying as much about it. I try to look at it like, it's happened many times now and I'm always OK, so I'm going to continue being OK as long as the heart itself is healthy. Easier said than done to always remain positive, though. Best of luck to you!
I went to see my heart doctor on Friday and he asures me that its not my heart...but the thing is when ever I get the feeling that my heart stops ( and dont get me wrong it only stops for a couple of seconds) it has not been got on EKG or while wearing the heart monitor. When I told the doc about it he blew me off as I were crazy so tomorrow I am going to call to see another specialist to get a third opinion. How do I get these Doctors to understand that the feelings are real and not  made up from anxiety?
Does anyone have a doctor or specialist that really believes that the feelings are real and not just anxiety?
I live in Houston,Texas but I am willing to go were ever it takes to find the right doctor that knows how to treat this medical issue. ( its something more than just anxiety ) it has to be: I have heard it and I have seen it on the B/P machine.
I have been living with this for years but it wasnt til a couple of weeks ago that I found this web site and started to read that I am not alone there are other peolpe out there with the same problem.  I have not read anything positive like "treatments"or surgery that has helped with the symptoms. Has anyone out there found the right doctor that has found the cure for "heart pounding, flip flops,or heart stoppage? Please let me know
I am at my last bit of hope of ever getting better.

Good Luck.....
This doe NOT sound like anxiety!! .. To many people jump to anxiety when the adrenals are involved.. The heart races, the body sweats, tremors and shakes can occur. Dizziness, foggy-head can happen too... Look into POTS. It is a dysautonomia (dysfunctional autonomic nervous system) ..The blood pressure fluctuates tremendously, and the heart reacts... POTS is similar to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or, M.E... It is just centered around the heart and blood pressure. .. Low blood sugar can attribute to this as well perhaps. So eating a diabetic diet can help a lot for some people.
Your OP sounds very similar to what I have been going through most of my life.  It's terrible and I don't think many cardios care much about what we go through.  As a matter of fact, something started happening to me last month that was new.  I have been to the emergency room and calling my cardio all the time and requesting emergency appointments too.  I actually am thinking I am the joke of the office.  I think everyone who works there looks at me funny.  You know, like I'm nuts.  

I have had numerous tests.  Some recent tests too.  I was on a monitor for a month, but nothing showed up.  It was a month I wasn't feeling anything either.  Now I'm scheduled for another 24 hour monitor.  Probably nothing will happen then either.

For some reason the medication I have been on for years just seemed to stop working.  I am taking Norpace.  Anyway, I talked the cardio into lowering the dosage.  It doesn't help.

Here's what happened.  My blood pressure started lowering and my heartbeat started slowing down.  My pulse is irregular too.  I feel dizzy sometimes and faint.  My stomach feels weird and I get a shot of adrenaline which I can feel through my chest.  It speeds up my heart and my blood pressure goes up.  I feel better when my blood pressure goes up along with my heartbeat.

I can't seem to make the doctor understand this.  When I'm in the office she sees nothing wrong on my EKG or listening to my heart.  She said there is nothing wrong with my heart rate dropping to the 60s and my blood pressure dropping down to 90/60.  

What's wrong with it is I feel very bad when this happens.  She has lowered my dosage of Norpace at my insistence, but it is still happening.  She said she wants to take me off Norpace altogether and put me on Toprol if it keeps happening.  I have had many medications tried on me over the years.

BTW, taking Xanax has no effect on the heart rate ect. because I tried that too for anxiety.  

My problem is I am to heart aware and feel every single skip ect.  This slowing down stuff is the worst though.  Worse than anything else I have had to live with for years.  It goes on all the time now.  No relief.
This sounds exactly like whats been happening to me the last few days, though right before the heart "restarts" there is a sharp intense pain that last only a second or less. Followed by a wave of adrenaline and rapid heart beat. This has only occurred while laying down in bed however and every time wakes me up from sleep. It has occurred off and on over the last year or longer seems to happen more often during times of emotional or mental stress (looming deadlines and workload, relationship woes, etc.) The last two nights I've been running on little to no sleep while staying up working on finals, and the incidents both occurred early morning (around 4:45 am) after laying in bed and having only just drifted off to sleep. It is important to mention that I had taken adderrall (20 mg) at roughly 8 pm the evening before both incidents.

Here is my OP:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Rhythm/Woke-up-with-sharp-heart-pain-and-palpitations-back-to-back-mornings/show/1253176
Hi, thanks for posting - you are right, I've got a lot of dysautonomic-type stuff going on. For a while (back when I "just" had unexplained palps, tachy, blood pressure issues, etc) I was convinced that I had mitral valve prolapse syndrome without the mitral valve prolapse. I don't quite fit the profile for POTS, though, as although my BP doesn't always react properly when changing position, it does stabilize OK these days once I stay standing / lying down.

I do think my nervous system is out of balance, but think there are probably also additional things going on as contributing factors...
Hi, thanks for adding your experience. I know what it's like not to have this show up on a monitor - frustrating (even though we don't actually WANT them to happen, of course). Can't remember if I've mentioned this in the thread, but I had a 24-hour Holter courtesy of my neurologist and the start-stop thing didn't happen. I'm not sure if he looked at it himself or if a cardiologist saw it, but he told me that it was normal - there some tachycardia, but the normal and harmless kind (can't remember what that's called now - SVT?).

I do get what feels like low BP and slow & irregular heartbeat sometimes, but thankfully not as much as I used to. This happens mostly at night but doesn't seem to cause the start-stop thing for me. I wish you the best of luck in figuring out your symptoms!!! We have to be our own advocates, although it isn't always easy.
Hi agarriso - read your post - that sounds very unpleasant! I feel for you. I don't get pain with my stop-starts, thankfully, or it would be even more disturbing. I have had pain with a few very hard PVCs/PACs, though - I think in those cases it's probably the heart muscle stretching slightly with the force.

I do have palpitations related to another type of chest pain, though - "trapped wind" as they call it here in England. I don't know what we say in America, but what I'm talking about is having air bubbles pressing on stuff in the abdominal and chest cavities as they're moving on through. This never used to cause palps for me, but it does now, and this freaked me out initially. I have since found that there are plenty of others on the 'net and on these boards who get the same thing, though. I also now sometimes get palps as a result of certain stretching exercises, lying on my left side, being squeezed too tightly, even bending at the waist!

My best guess is that in addition to my acid reflux, I've got a hiatal hernia and this is either causing pressure on the heart or on the vagus nerve or both. So my point is, you may have some kind of internal pressure thing going on, especially in light of your sternum/collarbone issue, and in my experience and that of others, pressure can trigger palps.
I think sometimes I must be a freak of nature.  At least being here now helps.  

For many years I was  on medication that was keeping the skips away and my high norm BP regular more or less.  It also keep my high pulse normal.   I only had thumps once in awhile and surely could live with that.  I was on Norpace 150 CR twice a day along with Toprol (not long acting) 50 mgs twice a day.  All of a sudden a couple of years ago my heart started slowing down and I had a dropping feeling in my stomach along with tunnel vision and almost passing out.  I went to my cadio who told me to cut the Toprol in half and take that twice a day along with the same Norpace dosage.

Everything went along well for about a year and it started again.  The Toprol was then cut to 1/4 a day and taken twice a day.  That went along fine for quite a while when it started again.  The Toprol was stopped and I was on only the Norpace 150 twice a day.  That was OK  for quite awhile until my heart started slowing down again last month.  It started with bending over and got worse to where my heart was skipping all the time and slow.  The past month I went to only one 150 mg Norpace a day.  My BP and heart rate just keep decreasing, was irregular and skipping, and I was dizzy a lot.  Now I'm down to Norpace 100mgs CR twice a day and my BP and heart rate are down and irregular.  I am now having a few good hours on and off during the day, but I don't want to leave the house even to go grocery shopping.  It is so uncomfortable.  It feels bad when my heart is pounding and very slow and irregular.  

I just don't get it.  I really don't.  

My cardio wants to put me on Toprol and no Norpace.  I think when the quality of life begins to go is when fear sets in.   I've never heard of having to reduce meds.  I've only heard of having to increase meds especially as one is aging.  That's why I feel like a freak of nature.
I got the saddest feeling when reading your post.  I've had problems almost all of my life.  I can remember at 13 feeling my first thump/skip/stop while playing outside in the snow and telling my mother.  She said since there was so much snow on the ground, it must be just from to much oxygen in the air.

I've been to so many doctors, cadios, and had so many tests through the years, but feel like I'm getting answers from all of them similar to my mother's first explanation.  

I've also wondered why there are no groups for us to talk about this stuff.  I mean there are groups for everything, no?  One thing is I am beginning to believe there is something hereditary with this.  My mother ended up having to have a pacemaker late in life and my aunt suffered from skips.  My son too, but with his EKGs the doctors say it isn't dangerous and he's lucky because he doesn't feel it.

God bless you.

Maybe going to an EP is an answer.  I haven't ever had a cardio tell me I need an EP and refer me to one even though I have asked.  You can't just go to them.  You have to be referred by a doctor.  My cardio now said she may go ahead and refer me for a second opinion.  

I have been told only two things about my heart.  One is I have a little less fluid around my heart then average and one is a wall of my heart has thickened slightly.   Otherwise I have a perfect heart.  Go figure.

Well.....I have gone back to see my cardio and EP and he told me "that I was crazy" that if my heart was stopping then I would not be sitting in his office,the feeling I get when the heart is stopping is "extra beats" or "skipped beats" and can feel as your heart is stopping. I still get this feeling but only when im under stress or anxiety. (I have had for most of my life) the feeling is very scary cause I dont know if my heart will start agsin or this will be the time thst it wont and I will die. I wish there was a doctor out there thst can read all these post so that someone can figue out what the hell is going on with all of us....
Good luck and keep me posted with any new info
I think it was pretty inappropriate for him/her to say you were crazy unless it was in a lighthearted way....this stuff is a very real problem for us regardless of what the actual cause or sequence of events turns out to be. Although of course it's good that presumably they've not found anything seriously wrong with your heart. I'm going for one more cardiac screening tomorrow, although I think it will just be a standard ECG.

Update on my situation:
I still have the stop-start incidents and 'normal' palps. The normal palps can now also be triggered by certain movements, which didn't used to happen. I'm guessing I have a hiatal hernia which has altered how my internal contents are situated, but I've got research fatigue at the moment so I haven't gotten around to checking out the manipulation techniques that are out there.

What's interesting is that I have now been able to note a pattern - the stop-starts can happen apparently at random, but more often these days they happen during a collision of 'performance pressure' in terms of getting things done, and social anxiety.

I find this kind of comforting...it makes me feel like I can control it a little by not getting so invested in what is happening around me, even though I know it can still happen with no apparent cause. Sometimes it seems like the normal palps can be kept in check by staying hydrated, getting enough sleep and not going too long without food, but then I'll get a day when I've done all that and I still have them off and on through the day, so I'm not sure.
I'm now wearing a King of Hearts monitor.  I've had all different kinds of monitors through the years.

Has anyone ever seen the TV show Mystery Diagnosis?  I saw an old one the other night.  It was about a man who had a racing heartbeat and was always taken to the ER to be converted.  The ER docs had to meds and finally after numerous trips to the ER ended up having to use electric shock to convert his heart.  It didn't mention if he went to a Cardo.

Finally, through a friend, he ends up at a sleep disorder clinic.  Would you believe once he used a C-Pap (sp?) every night his heart rhythm problems went totally away?

I feel like I am living in a Mystery Diagnosis episode.  Doctors just can't seem to handle this problem for me.  Soon, as in the show, that one doctor will come along that can fix me.   Wishful thinking.
That's very interesting, and I totally believe lack of rest can affect our hearts rate and rythym.  I have asked for a sleep study, b/c basically, I don't sleep...I always wake up exhausted.  The times the monitors have caught my racing and PAC's have been mostly at night, while I'm sleeping.  I'm going to ask again :)
That is interesting. I've got a sleep disorder (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome - don't get this - it is a drag) and also have had sleep testing that indicates lots of pulse rises during the night, which is apparently indicative of movement, which would mean less restful sleep (but my husband says I don't move around that much at night). I too want to get a full sleep study done...I've never done the staying-overnight thing but am hoping that's next.

I think everything in the body-mind is interconnected and as awesome as a lot of things about Western medicine are, it's not helpful that doctors don't tend to recognize that we're more like a spider's web than a bag of nuts and bolts.
is this similiar or NORMAL? Or what..

Sometimes ill notice my heart rate is say 90... and in a matter of a few seconds or 10 seconds it will be 75-80 and I FEEL It Drop. Like I literally FEEL it. I Don't Feel Pain but It feels like a Blood pressure Drop almost.

But when i check my blood pressure.. it kinda doesnt change more then 5-10mmgh.

What does it mean when you "feel" it drop 10-15 beats per minute according to your wrist watch moniter per say?

if your BP stays normal or over 90/60 and resting rate is above 50...

should i worry..
i hate this anxiety.
I wouldn't worry if it were me, but my heart rate has become pretty variable since all this stuff started happening to me...I wasn't paying too much attention to my heart before, so I don't know whether it would've been normal for me then or not. Watching my heart rate drop 10-15bpm in that timeframe wouldn't worry me now, but I've never had that feeling you describe of "dropping" in this context.
Finally, I found a page that does not make me feel like I am psychotic!

On July 27th I was walking in the mall.  I went into what the doctors described as an SVT.  Before this happened I noticed my heart fluttering a few times throughout the day.  My color went from my face, my body went cold and tingly from my fingers to my toes. 180BPM+, 196/166 BP - I was rushed to the hospital where my heart rate stabalized and stayed fluctuating for the next 18 hours from 100 to 125 while asleep in the Care Unit.

In the three weeks that have followed I have had ECG - Normal, Stress Test - Normal, Echo - Normal, Corratid - Normal, Leg Pressure - Normal, Blood Tests - all normal except moderate B12 deficiency.  I'm still getting the adrenaline feeling throughout the day.  Twice sometimes 10 times.  I feel like my body goes through waves of being great, waves of being bad.  I get a slight pain that lasts for less than a second near my heart area.  Left of sternum.  It feels like it always happens in the same three places.

The Doctor told me it's anxiety.  Let me make this clear.  I am 31, never had an issue, it wasn't anxiety at the mall.  YES, I'm anxious now... But that wasn't what sent me into this.

Hearing all of your experiences makes me comforted to know I am not alone in this.  Right now I'm on beta blockers.  I think I would like to come off them, as I feel lethargic.

I see where many of you have experienced this for many years.  That's good, helps me believe I'm not terminal!

Thank you for your posts, and if there is a doctor out there that has any answers, please! share!
It sounds like there are a lot of similarities between how things have started off for you and how it started for me. I'm sorry you're having to go through this but glad this thread had helped you feel less alone. Please keep us posted on your experience and remember that I've survived for years and now seem to be getting gradually better!
Hi there.

I have the same symptoms as you. Mine are very frequent...well they were until I started taking beta blockers. I still have it but much less.

Just a couple of things:

There's no way your ventricles would be fibrillating in these situations you're experiencing, you simply wouldn't be conscious. So don't worry about that. It's just not possible with what you've explained. So don't worry about that one.

It may be A-fib...or possibly ecoptic beats. I have felt these pauses a lot too. The worst one I had was around 6 months ago.

I felt a sudden chest pain (I had just eaten a big meal) and I felt my heart sort of pause or as if my heart sent out a beat in slow motion. I felt dizzy for a second, and it was as if a switch turned on and my heart went CRAZY. It shot up and raced for about 10 minutes at about 150bpm. Then went back to normal. But i was shaky and felt generally really weird afterwards. I honestly think a huge factor in this was the stress of it. I instantly freaked out over the chest pain and went into a panic. Throwing me into PAT, which I have.

The only answer really is to see an Electrophysiologist.

I am having an EP Study and an ablation in exactly two weeks, and am looking forward to finding out what exactly is going on. I've been diagnosed with a few things from different doctors...Sinus Node Dysfunction, Junctional Tachycardia, Atrial Tachycardia, Ecoptics. My Electrophysiologist is pretty sure I have two of the above. They caught me in a Junctional Tachycardia (reentry somewhere near the AV Node) @ 160bpm.

A hernia can cause irregular beats but it sort of depends how irregular they are, and how fast your heart gets etc. If your heart rate is fairly rapid, I doubt it would just be caused by the hernia. Has your doctor diagnosed you with this?

@Memphisgb: I really feel for you, because I know what it's like to be told it's just anxiety. Keep pushing for a proper diagnosis. They need to realise the condition causes the anxiety, that it's not just anxiety on its own. It sounds like a reentry tachycardia to me! What I normally find is that I have an SVT attack, and then after the attack I have a panic attack because I'm so freaked out by what has just happened. It's like the SVT creates a surge of adrenalin because your mind is going Ahhhh! WTF is happening.

You also said you felt weird beats in the mall prior to the attack happening...this is fairly typical of a reentry tachycardia. PACS, PVCS and Ecoptics are all known to trigger or set off a reentry tachycardia. People often say they feel premature beats just before it happens.

Look into seeing an Electrophysiologist if you haven't already.

: ]

Hi sian333, thanks for your post. It would be great to see an electrophysiologist, but I doubt it will happen until/unless I can afford to do it privately. As fantastic as the British National Health Service is (and it is really good), they will not be sending me to an EP anytime soon as all of the tests I've had so far have come back pretty much normal and I'm young. I haven't been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia but haven't tried to be diagnosed, either...as I understand it they wouldn't do anything about it anyway (except prescribe acid suppressants which I would decline as I think they can cause more trouble than they're worth in some people). I've read a little about the manipulation techniques that claim to get everything back into place, but am kind of alarmed by the idea so haven't tried it. I'm trying chewable DGL while I figure out what to do next about my reflux, etc.

Based on the date of your post, I think you will have had your ablation by now - hope it's gone well!!

General update: can't remember if I've mentioned this in the thread thus far, but I'm hypermobile (stretchy joints) and have some other symptoms of genetic connective tissue disorders, some of which are associated with autonomic nervous system instability. My GP has put me down for a referral to someone who he says can diagnose me (or not), so it will be interesting to see what information comes from that. I will update here if I find out anything relevant.

I just wanted to give you all a little hope--- since i was 18 years old i have started with pretty much all of the symptoms ---etc all of you have been through!!!!  I also want to say at every age it has been diagnosed as anxiety disorder---and no it was not!!! It has come and gone over the past several years i am now 48 years old.  

In the past 3 years i have undergone more stress in my life than i have ever had --very bad divorce--taking care of elderly parents living with me --mom had 9 storkes and 5 heart attacks-- dad alz.   I too am a sensitive person and i had to step up to the plate and do all for them..... Each time i would go to ER with Mom uresponsive   yes i would feel anxiety---but not the crazy shaky etc that had for years!!!  So take it from someone who speaks for experience start a log of your symptoms what you eat--the weather etc-------over the years we have been finding a link between chemical and food sensitivies etc---small doses of steriods for flares..........but do pay attention to your acid reflux etc as i have over the past 4 years developed small bowel obstructions etc---and have learned anytime my body gets an infection all of the symptoms flare----------my latest bout started 2 weeks ago having pain in lower right quadrant ---right sided neck swelling as always and the horrible heart race-very shaky---trembles---and high fever...lasted about 5 hours ---at nice-----and that morning look bout 6 mos pregnant and again with bowel issue--and again try to find someone to listen.
Document---research and become your own best advocate --because you will always be told anxiety---but my Mom had heart issues for years and look what happened-----my daughter 20 has issues and my one son 14 they just found a 20 percent drop in his pressure from sitting-laying and standing/ etc go figure---and he has seasonal allergies also.........I know how hard this is-----my ex never beleived me--my only fear is that if i ever have a heart attack how would i know --i always have something going on.............And by the way when i was young "nerves"  in my thirties " anxiety" fourties" stress" and now that i have gone thru the change "postmeniposal"   I do beleive that hormones and allergic have alot to do with it!!!  As i did notice that 2 of you had been outside working alot the first day.    I have felt better when i am not outside at high allergan times etc------good luck all and pray.......
I JUST HAD THIS SENSATION... I WAS ALMOST SLEEPING WHEN IT FELT LIKE MY HEART STOPPED BEATING THEN THE ADRENALINE THAT WENT FROM MY STOMACH TO MY CHEST AND THEN MY HEAD... IT MAKES ME GASP THEN COUGH. WHAT A SCARY THING. I HAVE HAD MANY EKG'S AND STRESS TEST AND 24 HR HOLTER MONITOR AND ALL WHICH HAVE COME BACK AS TACHYCARDIA BUT DR'S SAID THAT IT IS NORMAL. I DO HAVE POTS AND HAVE FOR MANY YEARS... THIS IS LIKE THE 3RD TIME IT HAS HAPPENED AND I AM SCARED TO EVEN LAY BACK DOWN TO SLEEP =(    HAS ANYONE FIGURED OUT WHAT THIS REALLY IS?
I don't think anyone can say for sure what exactly is going on, unfortunately...like you I've had ECGs and a Holter and this type of incident has never happened during those times so hasn't been recorded. I don't think I've ever had it happen to me while lying down, but I do get 'normal' palps often when laying on my left side or with any kind of pressure that makes my insides press against my heart, really. So it's worth looking out for stuff like that to see if you can identify any triggers...
Hi Wundergecko,
I had Mirena inserted 12/27/10. A day or two later I started with panick attacks, anxiety and depression. I told my self to give it more time. January 11th I start feeling short of breath, and have chest pains. Jan 12th I felt like my heart stopped, I was just laying down and I could actually hear my heart beating hard and feel it without putting my hand over my chest then all of a sudden I cant feel it anymore. I slapped my hand over my chest to make sure I wasnt going crazy, but I swear I didnt feel a beat. I jump out of bed feeling like im going to pass out(tunnel vission, loud ringing in ears every noise around me starts to get lower and i got a rush of cold over my body), and start jumping and shaking my hands and bam I feel my heart racing again. I honestly thought I was going to die. So I went to the doc. they did blood work to check my thyroid and other things. Went to a cardiologist and am currently wearing a hear monitor, and had an ultrasound today. I had another eppisode today around 10:40, Im hoping the monitor caught it, I pressed the button. This is so scary..I blame Mirena..Ive had heart palpitations before but nothing like this. Im so worried it could be something worse. I just hope we all get better and this stops...

Vangie2010,
Im also from Houston, Tx. Please let me know if youve found a good doctor that doesnt just write it off as anxiety.
Hi raquel89,
Sorry to hear this has happened to you :(. It's good that you've gotten a monitor so quickly though, and that you were hopefully able to record this event. Please let us know the results!!
I do now think it is pretty likely that the Mirena was a big factor in starting off my symptoms, whether it was as a result of sensitivity to levonorgestrel, an autoimmune reaction or some other mechanism of action. However, I am now doing much, much better, so just to say - I'm still here!
Hi All.  I'm with you all the way.  Just had another episode myself (I am a long term SVT sufferer) while I was doing a slight jog across a busy road.  I have had many of the symptoms described here so I won't go into that again.  My concern is how we live our lives with these challenges.  People in general, and some of the doctors it seems, just can't put themselves into our shoes.
On two occasions my ECG readouts, taken whilst I have been having SVT have gone missing, leaving only the readouts with normal beats for the consultants to look at.  Not to mention the lack of understanding by our family and friends.  I think it's because we just don't fit into the classic 'clutching the chest in agony' model seen on TV dramas.  The symptoms we suffer are wide and varied and VERY unpleasant.
Anxiety follows, obviously, and before long we are afraid to go out and live.  I have suffered from Agoraphobia because of this - and still have problems now.  You feel anxious as soon as you walk out the door, therefore exacerbating the problem with your heart.  In most cases, it seems, all readings show fairly normal, healthy hearts, but it don't feel like it to us.  
Be content with this fellow sufferers.  It's forums like this that are the real therapy.   The encouragement we can give each other goes a long way to helping us to face life - as hard as it can be.
I am a 59 year old female and believe I am as healthy as I could possibly be.  I eat right, exercise, maintain a healthy weight and for all intents and purposes I look and feel fantastic EXCEPT FOR the issues discussed in this forum.  I have the missed heartbeats when lying down, on the left side in particular.  I also get the adrenalin rush when it happens to me in public because I am afraid of looking like a fool.  Monitoring it closely for the last month I notice it happens more often after I eat carbohydrates (but not always!); if I lie down after eating; if my body temperature rises; if I need to go to the toilet (both).  It will also happen for what seems no reason whatsoever (so frustrating).  I have been to emergency and had a complete bloodwork all negative; my cholestrol levels are as exceptionally good; my blood pressure is also good and I constantly get good bills of health.  I have had a history of panic disorder but have not experienced panic attacks for a very long time and take no drugs, only Xanax why I fly.  I am reluctant to put it down to anxiety or panic disorder.  My doctor thinks that it is strictly a digestive problem, something to do with the vagus nerve, and in fact so did the doctors at emergency, so I am going to run with that.  Now I just need to fix it!!  
Depending on your height it could be a premature ventricular contraction. Gives the sensation of stopped or missed heartbeats. It's totally harmless and typically caused by stress
Go to this website, it may help:

http://forum.asktheneurologist.com/post-neurology-questions-f6/arrhythmia-caused-vagus-nerve-t396.html
Hey Everyone,

I have to say its bitter sweet to see you all here as I have been going thru this since I was 18, 23yrs now...The flip flopping you feel I always described as it feels like my heart is rolling over! After many Doctors and Cardio's looking into this there is a few things that are medically suspect, I have MVP, and PVC's, I went to see the head cardiologist at Strong Memorial Hospital, Its a medical University for those that don't know this place...anyway I was told by that cardio team that the flip flop is a result of the beats firing at the same time instead of one then the other, so when they fire at the same time we cant feel the heart beat so it feels like it stops...the adrenaline rush after is because when this occurs your heart fills with blood and when the valves go back to a normal rhythm the first normal beat has to push that over full blood out...so it feels like it hits very hard when it restarts...and then we are nervous and then our heart beats fast because we get worried there for a few sec...I hope this sheds a little light your way...

If one thing can be said, its this WE are going thru this it is real...and none of us are alone...

BTW my cardio's said this was nothing to worrie about either so...it sure is scary when it happens....
Hey, I've got this too. I will try to describe it.
As the fast feeling steps in everything changes in my mind. As like if I have taken some drug and I feel a rush of adrenalin in my brain. The sounds are altered also. I can hear every little tone. My senses are different. Everything I touch is somehow different and even new. I have tried to find some information about this and I came up to this web site, where everything is described very well - http://www.fastfeeling.co.cc/
Hey everybody - just checking in to say that this still sometimes happens to me but I'm still here!

Still don't know what it is, but as a couple of others have mentioned, it may have an association with the vagus nerve. The other day it happened in conjunction with a terrible pain in the left side of my neck, which was new...it's usually pain-free for me except for occasional mild chest discomfort. I've also been getting neck pain in association with stomach gas moving around, and I have worsening acid reflux. I guess it's time to figure out how to get my digestion straight!

Good luck everyone...
Well, it's 4:24am here and tonight (I really, really hope it's only for tonight) I seem to have developed SVT triggered by...

.

.

.

...falling asleep. Staying awake all night seems to be safe, but sleeping is not :(. Twice I've started clicking over into sleep and both times I go tachycardic like flipping a switch. I've never been diagnosed with SVT, but am guessing that's what it is because I stopped the first one by splashing cold water on my face and the second by Valsava maneuver.

*sigh*

Not really what I need. I don't suppose any watchers of this thread have experienced anything similar?

I dug around in my purse and found a very aged blister pack of propranolol with one pill left in it, which I've taken. I'm hoping this will allow me to sleep safely at some point.
My most severe episodes have happened during the night. Last night was bad for me too....kept drifitng off....and suddenly waking to my fun, fun heart acting crazy. Finally fell asleep around 2:30. I hope you finally got some much needed rest.
You might want to read about nocturnal panic attacks.  They are not at all the same as the daytime variety, and they tend to occur after 1:30am:

"Nocturnal panics usually occur between one and four hours after the onset of sleep, and many people have actually said that nocturnal panic is even more severe than daytime attacks.  These nocturnal panic attacks are very different from daytime attacks in that there is no physical activity causing the arousal and that the person is actually in a relaxed state with lowered blood pressure, reduced respiration and reduced heart rate. "

http://psychtreatment.com/panic_disorder_panic_attacks.htm

Here's more info (and google will find you yet more):

http://nocturnalpanicattacks.com/
Hey Yarrow....I do have nocturnal panic attacks, but they are different than what I'm talking about here. What happened to me last night when I was falling asleep is the myoclonic jerk. My doctor explained it to me in detail. I don't react so well to adrenaline, so I wake and have the tachy...pac's, pvc's, etc. It's almost like my brain is falling asleep...I would imagine this is like the aura before a seizure...really weird. This usually continues for hours. It doesn't happen all the time, but a few times a month, and sometimes more than once a week, depending on how tired I am...and I am exhausted right now..and I can't seem to catch up. I have had numerous nocturnal panic attacks, hyperventilation (sp), cotton-mouth, rapid, irregular heartbeat, nausea, cramping, urge to urinate and so on, you know the drill :) The two cannot be confused. I'm not sure if what I'm describing is what Wundergecko is feeling but I can say that neither are any fun  :)
That is a good website and very accurate on causes. I do have GERD, laryngospasms and I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea, but my doctor won't allow for a sleep study :) I snore, have a deviated septum, insanely terrible allergies and most of the spring cannot breathe through my nose. And, as you well know, I'm extremely high-strung...whew...no wonder I can't sleep! lol...Thanks for sharing the site :)
Hi Rilesnic,

It sounds like we are experiencing something very similar! Sorry to hear you have this type of experience too, but I'm glad you posted - makes me feel less alone  with my bizarre reactions to sleep :).

When you say you don't react well to adrenaline, I think that's exactly what's going on with me too. The majority of the time I'm pretty much OK, but some nights are so bad with palps and all kinds of other varying, symptoms that I think I might die. As with you, it can go on for hours.

I think what happens with me is some kind of way over-exaggerated survival response. Some say that the myoclonic jerk is a leftover from when people or pre-people spent more time in trees - the jerk would happen to wake us up and keep us from falling out of the tree. I think that on some nights my survival-wake-up response goes crazy and I then have to deal with surges of adrenaline right as I'm falling asleep.

I also get night-time hallucinations...probably a separate issue, but it might be part of the same 'glitch'.

"Terrible Night Syndrome" for me has never included SVT that I've been sure about, and in fact any tachycardia ever caught on ECG before has, to my knowledge, been sinus tachy. So I was a little down about it this weekend as I don't need another thing on the "stuff that's wrong with me" list, but I'm getting over it now. Many people have far poorer health than I do and are still living their lives, the SVT hasn't happened again and I'm hoping it never does but I know what to do if it happens.

I didn't get any sleep the night I posted, but I did get a little the next day and I've had two good nights since. I think that my GERD and probably haital hernia definitely contribute to my heart issues through irritation of or pressure on the vagus nerve, so the upside is that this has caused me to get serious about lifestyle measures to reduce this irritation.

Sorry to hear about your apnea, allergies, etc - I've not had to deal with that but I have had laryngospasms, which are terrible, especially if you don't know what they are.
Hi, I'm 26 years old and have been fretting about similar issues disscused in this forum. I too have an issue deciding whether it is a Panic attack that I am having or its a Heart condition. I have the dropping of the heart sensation or flip flop that lasts for a couple seconds that stops anything that I'm doing at the moment followed by a raised heartbeat and slight chest pain. These episodes last from 15 - 45 minutes. It has definitely gotten worse over the past year, which was happening more often as the year progressed. It's now up to a almost daily issue for me. It has definitely given me a fear of being alone and not having support from loved ones when this happens. My wife is telling me I'm having panic attacks and that I shouldn't worry about it so much because I'm not overwieght, I'm too young for a heart attack, and I'm definitely stressed out by my family (father, mother, and sister) and many other stresses in life. I agree I am overly stressed at times, but the feeling I get when I have an "episode" is quite overwhelming to associate it with just stress. Reason for me writing on this forum is from me being woke up at 4:00 AM and feeling strange heart palpitations and followed by the usual fear, fast heart rate, and slight chest pain. I am a massage therapist and definitely know the difference between a muscle pain and organ pain. I also had a Kidney stone last year that I was able to pass which help me differentiate organ pain from muscle. I've had a doctor visit about 2 months ago about this and was had blood tests done and EKG machine or whatever. nothing out of the norm there....

My thing is this happens Randomly, I can't pin point any triggers that would cause this. I think the thing that worries me the most is not knowing whats going on. If I did I would have something to work towards and feel better about being on the path of fixing it.

This past saturday I had the worst one yet, all the normal symptoms but combined with tingling on strictly the left side of my body, mostly my extremities and face. It wasn't numb but it felt like it was on the verge of it... This really lead me to believe something was definitely wrong. I will be going to the doctor sometime within a week so maybe i can shed some light on my issue because it is affecting my sleep schedule.

Seeing this forum has helped me know this kind of thing happens to alot of people and that I'm not alone in this issue. It has put my mind at rest momentarily until my next episode. Thank you all for having this thread. I will post things on here as I know whats going on hoping that I can help the next person see that they are not crazy when everyone around you seems to think so. Good luck to all of us.
You should go see a cardiologist to rule out anything heart wise...they could do a monitor for a length of time say 24hr; 48 hr or 30 days etc to see if they can find what's going on.
Your post is missing one very important piece of information: How fast was your heart rate?  The terms "palpatations", "raised heartbeat" are very broad terms.  Someone may think 125 is very fast.  Personally my "very fast" is 250, or twice as fast.  This can be a major determining factor as to whether you're having a panic attack or an episode of SVT. If you don't know how to do it already, you should learn to feel your pulse in your wrist, or my favorite location, my neck.  Once you locate your pulse, you need to time it to determine the just how "fast" it is.  Armed with this data, you can give your doctor (and us) a better picture of your symptoms. From my experience, as well as other here on the forum, GP physicians will often diagnose you as having anxiety disorder.  Why? Because an EKG may show a perfectly normal heart, when in fact your actual condition is concealed, and to be perfectly honest, they don't trust or believe your personal report of your symptoms.  When you go to them with a log of the times, and heart rates, it gives them a better idea of what is going on. If they see rates from 180 to over 250, they will begin to look beyond panic attacks.  Quite often, they will prescribe a 24hr Holter monitor that carry around with you.  Unfortunately, 24 hrs. usually isn't anywhere near long enough to capture.  I had SVT for 54 years, yet during that time, a physician never saw a waveform from me.  Fortunately, I had something of a record of having SVT.  I was hospitalized initially as a child, and then again at 21 years at Deborah Heart Hospital for general "probing" where an episode was induced during a catheterization procedure.  Finally, a new cardiologist has the sense to prescribe a 30 day minitor, and that's when several events where graphically captured in both the initiation as well as the conversion.  Now that they saw, they believed, and I was pushed towards cardiac ablation which was very successful.

So:
Measure your heart rate
log the events
provide greater detail than broad terminology

Good luck!
Thank you for your words, I'll definitely remember to check my pulse whenever it comes around again. Although when my heart starts to race I do feel that it is the anxiety kicking in after the feeling I feel in my heart. My heart rate never goes up on its own, its always attached to the fear of whats happening to me. The feeling I get I can only describe as a flutter, drop of the heart, or flip flop of the heart and is attached to some pain as it throbs. Its a strong enough sensation to stop whatever it is I'm doing. There is a strong possibility that I am just having Panic attacks due to my stress at my moment in life. And if it is I'm very sorry for being one of the people who is freaking out over nothing and complaining to people who have actual problems. All I know in my head is that it has progressively gotten worse and I feel it is at its peak being that it happens almost daily. I have a great wife and 2 year old child that I both love very much and the thought of having to leave them is horrifying. Again this is anxiety I feel after I have my strange feelings in my heart. I do plan to go see a cardiologist so I can put my mind at ease and hopefully live without fear of dropping on the floor because of how regular this is happening to me. To me in this case, better safe than sorry. Thank you both for responding, I just want the tools to better myself, just don't know which ones I need....  
Had another episode, and was able to catch my heart rate which was roughly 140 bpm constantly for about 45 minutes. This one almost made me get up and go to the hospital. Had slight numbness and tingling again on the left side only and slight chest pain. Again this happened when I was just going about my daily thing not thinking about anything worry some and then my heart started to flutter and I felt tired, followed by the racing heart into the anxiety, numbness, and slight pain. I feel like I'm trapped by this and can't live normally. Although I had my sister come over to just be here for me she says her friend has the exact same problems and she is diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks and has meds to help suppress it. Even the numbness in one side was one of her symptoms. This is quite exhausting because I'm just waiting for the next one to show up. Any new thoughts on the situation???
Hi Jedisight - sorry to hear this is happening to you. Does the fast heartbeat begin and end suddenly? This is a characteristic of SVT. Also, when it happens, have you tried any of the methods that are used to stop SVT - for example, Valsava maneuver or splashing cold water on your face?
Hi - my symptoms are very similar to yours.  They are totally random but occur approx once a month. I cannot express to u how absolutely frustrating it was to go into the cardiologist for the first time.  One look at me and I could see the doctor totally not taking me seriously!!  I was 38, tan, in-shape, quite a bit younger than the others sitting in the waiting room. He made a joke about my symptoms and sent me on my way telling me it was panic attacks.  I tried to accept this but I knew deep in my heart of hearts that something was just not right!  I am a sports fanatic and have always been very in tune with my body. Besides that I have a pretty happy life with not much stress.  Well, after a couple more ER visits and two more doctors here I am 4 years later and I am finally getting to the bottom of this. I have been diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia with av nodal reentry. I was put on metoprolol 3 yrs ago which has been making me feel pretty exhausted and has given me bradycardia (a slow heart rate).  My next step is ablation - which was recommended.  In the live chat on this site yesterday on arrythmias I was able to ask the dr. a question about the metoprolol and he said the ablation was a good idea because younger patients do not seem to do well on the metoprolol. I guess my point to u is to not just accept the panic attack diagnosis if u really feel there is more to it.  Try a new doctor and ask to wear a monitor for a month or if u feel symptoms stop in a walk in clinic and get it recorded. If u can get a recording it will make things a lot easier.  Best of luck to u.
I've thought about SVT but when my heart races it seems to be attached to the fear I have when I go through an episode not really feeling it slow down and get faster randomly. I've had 3 days of of hardly any sleep, probably about 8 hours worth and random naps that i take throughout the day. They've been happening more and more at night now it seems, with small managable palpatations throughout the day. I won't go through all the feelings i have when these happen because just like everyone else there's different symptoms for different people and so many of them. I on the other hand, partlysunny, do have stress and am working towards fixing them day by day. My Father is a very stressful and negative person about alot in life and my mother is one of the most worry-some people I know. So I am taking in to account that I may possibly be having stress induced panic attacks. Yet that initial feeling still scares the hell out of me. When I have a bad episode I can't do anything that calms me down... I have tried splashing water on my face, drinking gatorade for electrolytes, acupressure stress relieving points, and other things you can find on the net by just searching. I've read up on the ablations as well, I hate the thought of surgery.... I know there's some non invasive procedures for it as well. And your right about the heart arrythmias, it totally feels like a couple of irregular heart beats that throw me off and starts an episode. Though I haven't had shortness of breath yet during an attack. But yesterday I was Extremely exhausted by little things but I do believe that was because of my lack of sleep. I started to play my drums and I play metal so it is a little bit of a workout. 4 minutes into to it I had to put my sticks down and catch myself, I felt exhausted for like 45 minutes afterwards... like I ran a hard mile without the panting. I'm going to a my GP tomorrow so i can get a referall out to a cardiologist. I will be equipped with information on paper about my episodes so I can get all of the info out. I usually tend to draw a blank as soon as they start asking questions.... But I'll keep everyone informed as i get tests and the information my doctors give me, so the next person searching their symptoms can use me as an example to compare. Which has helped keep my mind in order and not thinking tooooo crazy .
welp, I went to the doctors today and they found nothing on the EKG again. I lost 16 pounds since my last visit in April which alarmed them a little bit. I do think loosing weight was stress induced but at the same time I was trying to eat healthier and drink more water, I also tried to be more active so i guess its a combination of things. My original doctor talked me through it and was a little more receptive than the main doctor who she wanted a second opinion on. He looked at me and started to be quite condecending to me. I told him yes my eating habits have changed, and my sleeping habits have worsen within the last couple of weeks and was like you said partlysunny, I was almost pushed out the door because he was positive I was having panic attacks by just looking at me. I understood where he came from, from looking at me, yes i looked depressed, yes i lost weight, yes my blood pressure went up cause I almost wasn't able to get in cause i was having a retarded insurance problem..... But my thing is that these symptoms are making me this way, not the other way around. I can't sleep because I have pain, I don't eat certain things because i want to better myself, I looked depressed because I have been dealing with this everyday.  He just seemed very short and superficial about the situation.. I don't like him at all. But my other doctor talked me through it which was much more effective I think. I'm due for a stress test in mid july, and one of those 24 hour ekg things next week. I'm very open to the fact that this might be a panic attack. But I still need to rule out somethings. They prescribed me some generic Zanax to take whenever I am having an episode.... I do not like pills what so ever. So I guess its wait and suffer........ :(
Partly sunny - thanks for posting this - it's a good reminder not to accept being fobbed off with an anxiety diagnosis if that doesn't seem to fit the facts and your feeling about what's going on. Of course sometimes anxiety is the culprit, but as in your case, it's very possible for docs to be wrong about this. We've all gotta be our own health advocates.
Hi Jedisight,
It's good that you've got some tests coming up. Keep us posted on whether those shed any light on the situation.

In the meantime, and I do know how hard this is from personal experience, try to lower the levels of anxiety provoked by these experiences. There are many methods you can use to get yourself into a better state of mind. I was a bit of a wreck mentally and emotionally before I started making improving  my psychological wellbeing a priority in my life and I would never want to go back to the way I was. There's plenty of information to be found via Google on the following:

- EFT
- meditation
- CBT ( you can read about what it is and use the techniques on yourself)
- and, when anxiety does strike, try Dr. Weil's calming breath

I have the same problem.  It started when I was 17 and am now 26.  It has worsened very much over the years, and it happens daily now.  I get deafening ringing in my ears, and it stops for longer.  I feel the "adrenaline" burst afterwords, I'd really like some answers, feels like I am dying!  I understand your concern, the doctors always tell me it is anxiety, but I find that hard to believe.
Hi allen26,

Sorry to hear that :(. If this happens every day for you, could you try to convince your doctor to get you a 24-hour heart monitor to try to record the activity? (If you have healthcare, that is - if you are American I know that is not necessarily the case. As a transplanted American in the UK I am very glad of the National Health Service!)
Im only 22 and ive had this for 2-3 years i can hardly sleep because every time i lie down this happens im always rolling around unable to get comfortable but cant because my heart stops beating and when it starts back up it beats 2-3 times really fast and then only returns to normal on inhales n this happens every time i exhale again and again its everyday every time i pay attention to it anyways. I dont have any other symptoms just this and i dont think it from stress or anxiety because this can happen even when i've just been relaxing all day im hoping that all the drinking i've done the last few years hasnt done any damage to my heart. I also notice that when it pauses if i inhale while its stop it starts with a hard beat then stops again when i exhale and if i dont inhale for a while it stays stopped for a little longer and come with a heavy double beat and stops i dont know whats wrong and dont have the money to have it checked all that i can do is hope there is nothing wrong.
I am 34 years old. I have been having the same symptoms. In fact I am going to my GP today for another EKG. My symptoms usually appear at night when I lay down. I have noticed lately when I lay down on my left side it is worse.
I have been having these symptoms since I was pregnant with my 4th child. My OB told me it was normal for pregnant women to have these symptoms. About a year later I went the ER but the DR told me it was just stress and gave me xanax. I was relieved and fine for about another year. I then went to the ER again. This time he said I was fine other than being overweight. He also said my blood sugar was high. He told me to lose weight. I then went to my GP and she said everything was normal. She checked my thyroid and blood sugar which was slightly high but ok she said.
Over the past few months I have been having the same symptoms. I read about Mirena and these symptoms so I had it removed in August. I am now on orthro tri cyclen lo and Celexa for depression. I have lost 20 pounds since September. I am trying to get healthy for my kids. I am just worried something is really wrong and they cant find it. I feel like I am going crazy over this.
I have those same symptoms and found that certain diets might cause it. I don't know how to refer a particular site without naming it and seeming like a spammer... But in the site, it talks about how bananas, dates, and many high potassium foods can cause adrenal fatigue, and those are the symptoms. I'm suffering right now, which is why I came across this page, trying to find something more. I'm going to go back to that site and check out the diet again to see if I ate something that triggered it. I guess you could google adrenal fatigue to find it. It was very helpful for me. My eyes feel drowsy when it happens, like they're bulging out of my face or something. My whole body is out of whack. And it seems to happen in cycles.. like my heart will throb on and off for about five minutes, then calm down for a few minutes when I get some relief, then start up again. When it starts up, I do feel that adrenal surge through my body and my head starts to hurt. It is soooo exhausting!
I suffer from everything you have described, I also have an under active thyroid and suffer from sleepwalking and sleep paralysis (when your body is in sleep state before your mind- quite scary too).  I have had the test for Pheochromocytoma and the 1st test showed extremely high catecholamine levels, but the test was put down to an error as I passed more than 6 litres of urine in 24hr period (due to my thirst during these episodes and the fact I have to drink loads). I then had a second test, which is within normal ranges. I have now asked to speak to an endocrinologist as I also suffer from irregular painful periods too and I want to rule out anything hormonal which could be affecting everything (as you described and my thyroid, plus another hormones).

Don't give up
I am relieved to have found this forum because I have been experiencing similar symptoms since I was a kid probably no older than 10.

I am a 26 year old female, average weight, typical diet, and a recently born runner with no history of heart problems or health problems in my family aside from depression/anxiety.

Like most of you, it's damn near possible to explain what is going on in there, because there is no consistency to it. It happens at random times, tired or alert, active or laying down. For me, it's like it stops for a split second (or slows WAY down), and does sort of a flip flopping before smoothing itself out to a normal rate. I almost picture what a fish does when you take it out of water. It only lasts a few seconds, but in those few seconds, it seems to take my breath away, and as a result I always cough. The coughing isn't a side effect, it's just a habit. This can happen at the most random calm times, such as when I'm answering my e-mails or work, or sitting on the couch watching TV. It usually only happens once, maybe twice in the hour and stops until the next day. When I was a kid, I remember telling people about it, thinking that it was normal and happened to everyone, but as I'm getting older, I noticed it's happening almost 3 times daily or more, whereas, when I was a kid, it happened maybe 3 times a year.

My mom took me to a cardiologist when I was 6 for an ultrasound because she thought I had a heart murmur, and they found nothing. But that was 20 years ago, and I can't rely on the results of something done that long ago.

Another thing I noticed, was that as this seems to worsen, my heart seems to 'pound' into my chest nonstop. I've gotten my blood pressure checked several times in the past year and none of the physicians noticed any 'pounding' or abnormalities and my blood pressure is normal. I just feel like you don't normally notice your heart beating, but I always can lately. I've also noticed that I get headaches a lot more frequently now and tire out a lot quicker.

Something else I noticed also was when I'm laying on my sides and I put a lot of pressure on that area (such as doing sit ups or something of that nature), it will do the flip flop and beat rapidly until I shift my movement. It's like I'm pinching off a tube and the blood isn't flowing in properly. I realize that sounds funny, but like I said, it's impossible to explain for the most part.

I wanted to point out also, that I had my thyroid checked last year and it was fine.

I was seriously starting to think I was the only one in the world with this problem and naturally, trying to diagnose myself on WebMD leads to cancer and HIV...My advice, DO NOT try to diagnose yourself, because you will drive yourself CRAZY and it will always make you think you have all these terrible diseases and viruses and it's just better to stay away from websites like that!

There is one thing that bothers me however, is that the symptoms people are experiencing are not always linked to anxiety.  When people try to tell me that I have anxiety it infuriates me because I know the difference between heart irregularities and heart palpitations. I WAS actually diagnosed with anxiety/depression as a kid, but I took medication for years and have it under control now. The heart problems I am experiencing are not from anxiety. It's not the feeling of panic followed by a rapid heart beat, it's a random lapse in beats.

Does anyone else experience odd symptoms like this or have any advice? I realize my explanation was pretty terrible but I haven't a clue how else to explain it.
I am not a doctor and cannot properly diagnose you but it sounds like you have pvcs, premature ventricular contractions.  You have some cells in one of the ventricles of your heart that are miss firing.  They add an extra beat to the normal beating of your heart.  This extra beat disrupts the normal beat and cause the heart to pause a beat to reset itself.  If you get a few in close timing you can feel as though your breath is being taken away.  There really isn't much they do for them unless you are having over 20,000 a day but you may want to go see a cardiologist just to get a general work up of your heart's health.  But take some time to do some research on pvcs just so know what you are dealing with.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Thanks to those who posted in November and December. I'm afraid I don't have anything enlightening to contribute apart from what others have already said - just wanted to say that I've read your posts and really hope that you find a way to improve and/or learn more about your symptoms in 2012. Update us if you can!

Things are going OK for me...I'm having far fewer palps/PVCs, which is great, but now have a new fun night-time thing where my heart speeds up and gets faster and faster the sleepier I get :(. Doesn't behave like SVT, as it starts and ends gradually. Thankfully this doesn't happen every night, but I find it to be pretty weird.
"Something else I noticed also was when I'm laying on my sides and I put a lot of pressure on that area (such as doing sit ups or something of that nature), it will do the flip flop and beat rapidly until I shift my movement. It's like I'm pinching off a tube and the blood isn't flowing in properly. I realize that sounds funny, but like I said, it's impossible to explain for the most part."

Yep, I have exactly that and it's a pretty good description. Not fun! I don't know why this happens to us and not to everyone. You would think that if it were just down to human anatomy, everyone would have this problem, but no. For me it has required less and less pressure over the years to cause this. Now I can't even lie propped up w/ a pillow against my upper back. I have a possibly crackpot theory that I have an expanding hiatal hernia that's taking up more and more space in my chest.
I have the same symptom check your potassium levels everyone I take potassium pills 600 Mg 330 percent I feel great stress takes out your potassium and moving bowels alot
Hi Yambuster - do you know one would go about getting potassium levels checked? Is this normally via a blood test you ask your doctor for?
Yes, you can get it checked via a blood test.  If you have any stomach, gas, acid reflux issues I might get those addressed as well.  It may help alleviate your symptoms.
Thanks. I think you're onto something re acid reflux...for me and I think for some others, it does make things worse.
I am glad to have found this forum.  I recognize a number of the symptoms repeated here.  I've struggled to explain them and haven't wanted to go see an MD because they don't do well without symptoms that are clearly verbalized.  I first noticed the "flip-flops" a few years back.  They came but then left without issue but then returned this past month.  I exercise regularly, eat well, am relatively young (41), am not depressed and have never been described as an anxious/nervous/depressed person.....but I think that the subsequent feelings/symptoms I get after the flip-flop could be anxiety related but the "flip flop" is not.  I become anxious because my heart flip-flops/speeds up/seems to skip a beat and then I have pressure in my face.  It's like whatever happens in my chest travels up to my face and I feel pressure and then light-headed.  Sometimes, like now, I have something that feels a tad bit like heart burn after the flip-flop (not an issue I suffer from on regular basis....in fact rarely but this is the best I can describe it as).  I sometimes feel tired after the flip-flop/pressure/light-headed thing comes on.  Almost like after an adrenaline rush.  My heart feels like it is beating really hard.  Sometimes, my chest is a little tight like I can't really breath fully.  It feels crazy but it sounds like plenty of other people can relate to exactly what I am experiencing.  I am going to book an appointment with my naturopath.  I find that she listens and takes to heart everything I say much better than an MD and doesn't treat me like I am crazy for ANY symptom I describe.  Not sure what she will think but I am starting there.  Maybe I am low on potassium, maybe my heart has developed an irregular heart beat.  Who knows?  I do have a partial heart murmur which I was diagnosed with YEARS AND YEARS ago but no one has said anything since I was 10 or so.  And, even then it wasn't a big deal.

I'm sorry for everyone that is experiencing what I am...or worse.  Thanks for sharing your information.  I feel better not being alone in this (though it'd be better if none of us had a reason to commiserate/look for answers!!).
I am so pleased I've found you - I have suffered the rapid / irregular / skipped beats along with the jolts of adrenaline for 2 years now, sometimes the episodes are daily, sometimes multiple times in a day, to the point where I dread them coming on. I hate feeling this scared but it's comforting to know other people have exactly the same symptoms.
Updates:

So I recently went and saw a Cardiologist. Apparently, he is a very well respected and well known cardiologist in the area. I had an echocardiogram done, and wore a holter monitor for 24 hours. The outcome was a very small atrial septal defect with trivial mitral and tricuspid insufficiency.  When you are a baby, you have a small hole inbetween the left and right upper chambers of your heart. As you grow older, the hole eventually closes. I (along with probably a lot of people on this forum) was one of the 25% of the population whose 'hole' didn't close all the way. This abnormal opening is called an atrial septal defect and causes blood from the left atrium to flow (or shunt) across the hole into the right atrium.

I had my consultation with my cardiologist, and he explained to me that this is basically a normal echo, which surprised me. The flip flopping showed up 3 times on my echo in 24 hours. He told me that surgery wasn't necessary and medication was an option to control the rhythm of the beats, but also wasn't necessary because it happens so randomly and not frequent enough.  He said the hole was small enough that I shouldn't have to worry about it.  I asked him about the symptoms (fatigue, occasional chest pain, flip flopping, headaches, etc.) and he said in the nicest way possible, that I just had to live with them. He also said that the headaches are not related. He said that I did not have to cease my excersizing, in fact, he recommended I excersize.  He then hooked me up to the EKG to do one final test and it was normal.  I left feeling neither satisfied nor dissatisfied.  Naturally, you always want to hear good news, but unforunately, I'm not convinced. The further I walked from the hospital, the more dissapointed I became.  All that worrying and depression from this situation, only to leave with a lot of my questions unanswered.

Now, if my heart has a tiny hole in it, isn't this going to cause problems for me as I get older? Isn't this shaving years off my life? I don't even remember what it feels like to feel normal. I am scared every day. I don't know if it's because now I'm obbsessing over it or what, but it's just so uncomfortable and, well, scary because it's not normal - even if my Cardiologist says it is.

I am not overweight. Slightly out of shape, but active nonetheless. I run 3-6 miles a week, bike, light weightlifting, etc.  Yet, I feel winded all the time.  am very aware of my heart beating at all times. It's so loud sometimes, I wonder if people around me can hear it too.  I think that my headaches ARE a symptom, because if I have a tiny hole in my heart that is effecting the flow of blood, then isn't it effecting the blood flow to my brain too? Can't this cause fatigue and headaches? Why is this tiny hole causing rapid irregular beats when I lay on my right side and no other times?  

So many questions.  I guess the conclusion that I came too from this was that I am going to go get a second opinion when I have heath insurance. I had to pull a lot of strings to get these tests done, ranging from hospital financial assistance, right down to a charity donation. It's a real bummer when you don't have health insurance.  Fortunately, my fiance and I are getting married in June and I will receive his benefits so I will be able to get tests done more freely rather then having to scrounge money, but it doesn't change the fact of how I feel NOW.  

I'm so glad I found this forum to see the similar symptoms and concerns other people have. I felt so alone when this started happening. I was convinced that nobody else in the world was having these problems and I was the only one!
I can't speak to your condition and how it affects the body but what I do know is as we get older there are more and more things we have to "learn to live with".  I think on one level when we have heart troubles it is hard to not obsess about them.  Our toes we don't need but our hearts we need in order to live so when things go a bit awry we can fall into being hyper focused on the symptoms we feel.  At some point, however, we have to trust that the doctors aren't going to steer us wrong.  They really wouldn't.  That doesn't make living with our symptoms necessarily any easier but if the doctor is fairly confident that the status of your heart is in good shape it is likely in decent shape. The fact of the matter is worrying about what is going on with our hearts can actually make what is going on worse.  I would say, by all means get a second opinion when you can but in the meantime try to take some time and work through the anxiety and worry you are holding onto about your heart.  It is very possible once you work through it you will feel better as well.  Take care.
Hi, I am truly happy I found this thread because I really believed I was the only having these things happen to me. And I was absolutely certain I was going to die and leave my children to mourn me.  I'm still scared but now I see that i'm not the only one and that people are surviving thru this it makes me feel a little less anxious. My heart problems began in July 2010 I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (a form of hyperthyroidism) when I went into the ER my heart rate was 134 bpm, I had spent over 6 months undiagnosed and my heart beating out of my chest. I got on meds and my endocrinologist put me on Atenolol for my heart..worked pretty well until I got pregnant in 2011 (unplanned but a blessing nonetheless) was switched to Inderal and it worked like a charm, now i'm 11weeks postpartum and started having these heart issues again. First it was too slow because of the amount of Inderal i was on (48 bpm) then I had gone to the ER because my chest was hurting (7 weeks postpartum) and out of the blue had one of the attacks Wundergecko and every1 else descibed, i was sitting in the room waiting to be discharged with costochondritis (inflammation of the ribcage due to pregnancy) no anxiety, no activity, i was watching TV and all of a sudden I get this sick feeling in my stomach and a feeling i can't describe creep up thru my chest, it feels like my heart isnt working and then it starts pounding like crazy, the nurse had walked in while it was happening and i was trying to tell her what was going on and she said my heart rate was fine. (i was hooked up to a heart monitor) Until the monitor started going off. I went from 70bpm to over 150bpm in seconds..i did some deep breathing while the nurse ran to get the dr and it came down pretty quickly but then it happened again about 10 minutes later, did more deep breathing and it came down again. A CT scan was done and an EKG and both came back normal. ER gave my Ativan, and something called a grasshopper for indigestion and told me it was gas that stimulated my Vagus nerve and caused the heart palp. Havent had one again. Until tonight. I was sitting with my fiance and was holding the baby when the feeling hit me and i knew what was happening and is it just me or does anyone else feel the need to get some air when it happens? So I stepped outside (i hate freaking the kids out) and took some deep breaths and it came down and my fiance stood by me and helped me calm down..then i tried to lay down and was scared awake by the feeling of like a gush of blood going up my neck..i was propped ou on my hand dozing. It scared me so bad that I cant go back to sleep..i have no idea how i'm going to function in the AM..Thanks for reading my long drawn out story..any suggestions and advice are appreciated :) Good Luck to every1 dealing with this very real and scary disability.
Hi Sorry to hear all the symptoms -I can't comment on all the symptoms but the little hole is called a 'patent foramen ovale' - but can't be easily distinguished from an ASD. Yes you are right -25% of the population have them and don't know. They don't tend to cause any symptoms BUT are associated with migraine with aura, and  risk of stroke because blood clots can pass through and up to the brain and you should not on any account scuba dive. the risk of stroke tends to be related to the size but also activity -so it is possible you may need to discuss daily asprin, or at least asprin before flights and wear pressure socks when flying - as the clots from DVT can pass through the hole. However I don't want to panic you -I was 40 when my very large PFO was discovered through a bend from diving. I had mine closed due to the size. Yours - and mine echo are normal because the heart is ok apart from a little hole. I think however it did account for my life long inability to sustain exercise, fatigue and migraines! Don't be fobbed off. If you have access to Pubmed or have time to trawl the web, look for research on the MIST trial or see this link http://www.migraine.org.uk/index.php?sectionid=261 Hope that gives you some info.
Thank you! I will look into this.  
I deal with the same thing day in and day out...you are not alone. when that happens at night I have to get on here to remind myself I am not alone
Hey people who have the same problems as me! I guess its good to know people are able to live with this... I always worry I am going to die. I started out with anxiety about 10 years ago, when I was about 24. Over the years it just got worrrrse and worrrse, now I have pounding pulse, the skipped beats, and adrenaline rush type things. But I definitely have a hiatal hernia. Went to the GI and had a camera stuffed down my throat. So I took some meds for reducing acid and another Med for coating the esophagus or whatever. Well acid and hernia went away. I still don't have any acid problems but now have the pounding pulse feeling in my chest, and some nights the skipped beats and adrenaline rushes. All doctors tests, ekgs, blood tests, vitamin levels, totally normal. Thing is my heart rate is about 80 when I have the pounding, just feels like its pumping harder. I can say that I NEVER had these symptoms during anxiety attacks, I had fast heart rate but it was a different type of palpitation. Definitely did not have the adrenaline rush stuff. But apparently its normal, and I haven't died and wont die for awhile judging by the posts.

Big deal. Like I want to live with it! That's the problem with it all is just living with something that ruins my sleep, causes more stress and anxiety, and makes it even harder to just function like a normal person. I get all of 1-4 hours of sleep if any sleep at all because of this pounding. Then when the skipping crap happens, I feel horrible and can't do anything but wait.

I find it hard to believe that its just normal, considering I went 24 years without a problem, and then had a really bad emotional trauma and my life has been an uphill battle since.

Listen, I quit caffiene, cigarettes, tried all the medications (meds caused other problems), quit the high fructose corn syrup, eat a low Carb diet, exercise 7 days a week 1-2 hours per day, I weigh 165lbs and can run a mile in 7minutes. I would like to tell you that makes some kind of difference, but it doesn't. No Matter how healthy doctors say I am, or how I look in the mirror, I can't sleep or feel well with this problem. There are some good days... but for the most part it is a struggle.

Sorry for the rambling, and poor writing skills. That's what happens when you can't sleep I guess.
Hi groovieknave,

Sorry to hear you've been suffering so long. I may get flamed for this, but as you have undergone extensive testing and have dealt with the one thing that was found (the hiatal hernia), I'd suggest that you try some energy medicine like acupuncture. We are not just nuts and bolts, and the fact that the onset of your problems coincided with an emotional trauma suggests to me that your energy patterns may not have recovered from this.

By all means keep up the exercise and good diet - this is essential for good health, however much energy manipulation you do - but also work on your mind and emotions and look below the surface there. This is the only way I found significant relief from the problems I detailed in the original post, and the problems I've had since then.
Hey there, I got a possible explanation. Many of these posts share the symptoms of a Spontaneous Kundalini Awakening. My wife had been (and still is) sharing many of these aforementioned issues; anxiety, increased heart rate, feelings of pulses, pulses in her head, inability to sleep etc...

I urge you to have a look at this resource and see if this offers any solace
www.biologyofkundalini.com

I have returned to this forum to offer this possible explanation, this information has helped us hugely... There is quite a bit of information on the net about this topic, in fact Jung wrote about it as early as 1932, in his seminars titled The Psychology of Kundalini Yoga. The issue is that for our westernised minds, this could be a very new way of thinking... Try

Best of luck, i hope this helps.
Lluvi, thanks for your post. I definitely think kundalini is a possible explanation in some cases, and it's something I've been considering recently. It's interesting that these things started for me a week after I had an IUD put in (lower abdomen / base of spine general area) - physical provocation, maybe?

On March 27 I had some kind of energy event that's been much more positive...kundalini resolution? Re-awakening? Don't know, but since then I've hardly had any palps and have lost my fear of death (don't WANT to die, but I've not got that chunk of background anxiety anymore).

I hope that if energy changes are also involved for some of the other commenters here, they will turn out to be positive and all part of the greater good (this is not at all to downplay people's distress and any possible physical causes for symptoms, though). Best of luck to your wife.
Read the following link as a possible diagnosis of pheochromocytoma  http://endocrinesurgery.ucla.edu/patient_education_pheochromocytoma.html
You are amazing.  Thank you for accurately describing what I've been experiencing for the last 5 years.

You are very brave.  Everyone who has posted here with the same problems are all very brave.  I wish I could give you all a big empathetic hug haha :).

I am a 26 year old male, My first "incident" was when I was 21. I was shopping for some fishing supplies with some friends of mine. I felt a buzzing sensation throughout my body. I checked my pulse on my neck artery and there was no pulse.  I then put my hand on my chest and I couldn't feel a beat.  I told my friend to call a doctor because my heart wasn't beating.  I sat down on the floor because I was going to pass out.  I laid back on the ground and I was seeing spots, my head was ringing, I was about to go unconscious.  A man in the store was an EMT and checked my pulse on my wrist and told me it was weak.  After laying there for a minute or so, I felt completely fine.  The ambulance came and took me to the hospital for checkups.  The EMT in the back with me had me hooked up to a heart monitor and was very interested (almost excited because he hadn't seen that before) in the way my heart was beating.  Irregularly, double beats, long pauses, etc. At the hospital they did all the tests in the book and said I was completely fine.

I still get these symptoms now and then today, but not like I did in the fishing store where I felt it stop for over a minute.

Over the years I have taught myself to control it.  I am able to make my heart stop (or beat very faintly) on command now if I wish.  Quite the parlor trick (however I avoid doing it because a voice in the back of my head says it may not start up again).  I find myself subconsciously syncing my heartbeat with the beat of a song on the radio sometimes.  

I honestly think there is nothing overly wrong with us, and most of it is in our heads. The whole heart skipping a beat feeding anxiety which makes the heartbeat more sporadic. Viscous cycle.

I feel the symptoms worse the day after a night of drinking.  I find that standing up and walking around a little bit, taking slow deep breaths, sipping ice cold water, and even going to the bathroom have helped the symptoms to go away.  It's easy to say "don't think about it and you'll be ok", but it's impossible to not think about or pay attention to your heart rhythms once this happens.

Sorry for my rambles, I just wanted to share my story and say that everyone experiencing this has to remain positive! Keep your head up.  There are lots of us feeling the same things you are.  We're all here.  You aren't dying today.

Take care and best of luck to everybody.

this is my first comment on the topic but i've been reading it for nearly a month now. My issues started a little over a month and have been up and down since then, i've had a lot of trouble dealing with this, especially at the height of the problem (about a week ago I had the most severe attack yet and had to go to hospital) because I just felt like I could die at anytime and that stopped my life completely as paranoia and depression set in. I'm 19 now and this is no way I want to live the rest of my life. They seemed to have eased significantly over the past few days and as i've started taking propranolol but I still have this niggling, sometimes more prominent that this could strike and potencially kill me at anytime, especially so if i'm not distracted and thinking about it. This is a feeling we all most likely share and its one I wish upon no person, even though the doctors have told me i'm fine and as of recently i've had no issues theres still this thought tormenting me. Anyway, I just want to thank you, all of you. Truly, I cannot describe how helpful this has been and your shared experiances have made mine easier to bare. I wish you all the best and please keep posting.

Thanks,

Sam
just noticed your post , i get the pounding chest only when ive been asleep and woken. In my case the episodes started after probably alot of hard partying and then after i cleaned my act up, went back into training very hard which ive been doing for 25 years any way i went into  afib . Had a cardioversion to put me back into normal sinus rythem.since then when i train hard i have these episodes call them anxiety attacks if you want only when i wake up.  This by no means contols my life and if like me youve had all the ecgs , ekgs  then maybe we worry to much < you become to heart aware listening to every single beat which possibly sets them off cos when im training i dont think about it only at rest it gets into your head again, maybe we have all got dodgy tickers ,but we are all still kicking and im sure theres alot of other people out there who are in far graver situations than us .  Youve just gotta get on in life, yes you worry so do i but dont let it rule you cos this aint no dress rehearsal, when your times up your times up .   just a thought any this is the first and last time ill post on one of these forums waste of time really cos if your on this its in you head ,  cheers  
I'm 13 and that exact feeling happens to me. My mom is a doctor and she can't find anything wrong with me. The feeling happens after school when I'm not doing much. When I'm distracted it doesn't happen. :'(
Can't believe what I've been reading and think I can relate
Last attack went like this, I was driving and experienced a sudden headache, within a minute this turned into a pulsing head, within a few minutes I experienced a sudden exhausted breath as if I'd ran for miles. I didn't have palpations but experienced chest pain nd went grey. Paramedics came out took my obs and diagnosise PANIC ATTACK!
2 weeks prior to this I had another episode whilst driving. Sudden breathlessness, chest pain in the centre of my breastbone, lightheaded ness and a very sudden thirst. Paramedics did ECG and all obs and again diagnosed a PANIC ATTACK!
Prior to this episode I'd been having pain in the centre of my shoulder blades and flip flop beats
Can anyone please relate as left me feeling very concerned. On both occasions I seriously felt I was dying
Any feed back would be very appreciated thank you
I think a lot of people on this board have a vector borne infection.  I have all the symptoms you guys do, but I never had anything like it until I was bit by a tick.  I have Lyme Disease, Babesia, and Bartonella.
I have had them for years, and my excellent psychiatrist has helped me develop a system to get them under total control when they occur.

For anyone interested in these weird, deeply unpleasant attacks, the wikipedia article gives a TON of information (of course, there are lots of other internet sources, too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack

The important lesson to take away from what one reads about panic disorder is that it is a medical condition that is heavily genetic.  It is not a failure of will power or a lack of control.

However, one still has to go to a good mental health professional, one with medical credentials, for effective treatment, and for some people the stigma of mental illness remains so embarrassingl that they'd rather have any other terrible medical condition, like heart disease or cancer, than face the other possibility.
So does what I describe is a panic attack?
I ask this because I have convinced my doc to refer me for tests, stress ECG etc on Tuesday
Appreciate your feed back
Thank you
Julie
Totally.  But read the wikipedia article.  The more you educate yourself, the more informed your treatment will be.
Read it
I've been going out of my mind thinking its my heart, my dad died at 35 of heart attacks but my gp said male genes re heart run on only the male side of the family...
Even though had an ECG in ambulance that was normal I've pushed my gp for a stress ECG which I go for tomorrow
I've not left the house since my last attack
I just couldn't believe panic attacks could be so severe
Juliev25, it may well be panic attacks, but I have to say I'd urge you not to simply assume it is based on a Wikipedia article and verdict of paramedics (although of course do research it and see if you think this matches your experience). The reason I say this is that you may (if you're of an anxious mindset as many of us) be setting yourself up for doubts later.

If you really want the testing you've asked your doctor for, I think it's best you go for it. That way, you'll know you've been checked out and you won't be left wondering (as much, anyway :). Plus, I do think it is best practice to get checked out if you have cardiac behavior that is unusual for you personally, and we are all different. If everything comes back clear, then you've got that information to build on, and if it does seem to be panic attacks, you can look for the type of effective treatment that Achillea mentions.

Good luck to you, and remember that whether it's panic attacks or just uncategorized weirdness of the type some of us have had, we are still here and commenting :)
Forgot to say - my bet would be that everything will come back clear from your testing, so try not to worry too much in the meantime - clear tests have been a theme on this thread.
I am on the floor
Had ECG, X-ray and stress ECG, cardi doc says abnormal readings on stress ECG as my heart was recovering. Got to have 24 hr tape in 2 wks and then cardiac catheterisation arteriography in 6 weeks. She explains theres a 1 in a 10000 risk of dying from this test but she recommends strongly I have it. She's also advising my gp to prescribe me beta blockers ans aspirin from tomorrow. I'm well and truley gutted and going out of my mind. She also advised me not to drive
If anyone can offer any advice please
Although it is good to know about the symptoms of panic attacks, you were wise to have sought out a stress EKG rather than make any assumptions--particularly in light of your family history, with your father being struck down so young by a heart attack.  Did you mention that to the paramedics?  That is a serious marker for trouble ahead, even though you are a woman (weird that your GP should make that remark about the problem going only through the male line--the risk is related to ANY first-degree relative, male or female, with a heart attack before the age of 60).

The risk of death from the catheterization is a statistical thing and actually pretty low; if you search the words 'cardiac catheterization' on this board, you will read posts by a lot of people who have undergone it and survived quite nicely.

Obviously what your cardiologist said is unsettling, largely because there does not seem to be any precise or helpful info there.  Did she say *exactly* what was abnormal about your stress EKG, or why you should not drive?  If I did not know that at least, I'd be going nuts from uncertainty and the lack of information.

She said there was differences in my heart stress ECG on the recovery. I presumed that was when the treadmill slowed down and I went back to walking. My last 2 attacks happened while I was driving so I asked what I should do and she advised not to drive
I really worried because she must of seen something really abnormal to warrant more tests esp cath ?
If I were you, I think I would be calling her back to say that I was worried and wanted to know EXACTLY, in clinical terms, what she found and what it meant.

She should be able to explain it in terms you can understand.  I mean, what is she being paid for?
Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear your news :(. I agree with Achillea - you need to get your doctor to explain exactly why she has ordered further testing, and why those tests specifically.

I think there are two parts to this, depending on how you feel about it - she should explain it to you in a way that a non-medical person can understand, but I would also have her tell you her conclusions/suspicions in straight-up medical terminology. Then write those terms down, or get her to email you, and post them here. We may be able to help you interpret her findings if anything is still unclear.

(Obviously people answering questions in this thread are not doctors and cannot give medical advice, but myself and I'm sure many others have done a lot of research into heart abnormalities and may be able to point you in the right direction and provide reassurance or clarification).

Hope to hear back from you soon and try not to worry too much for now (I know, easier said than done :)!
Ok got report and she saw 0.5 ST depression and T inversion in my recovery period
She said with family history
I need extra tests
I'm out of my mind with worry
Just about an hour ago, the cardiologist on the heart disease Expert Forum gave you a very reassuring evaluation of your history and stress test results, noting of course that no one could actually do a definite diagnosis over the internet.  He told you that the angiogram is just to rule out some stuff regarding your ST depression and T inversion, which he said were non-specific findings.

Based on your tests, this cardiologist--a person who has actually treated diseased hearts--was not alarmed.  For people who have not studied the heart, it is difficult to take this attitude seriously, but in your case it is important.   Worrying will not help, and if you find yourself panicking or out of your mind with worry between now and your angiogram, it would be a good idea to make an appointment with a shrink or your regular therapist to get your anxiety under control.  As you probably know from the 22 years you describe of 'on and off  panic attacks and anxiety,' you will be given therapy (talk and possibly a bit of medication) to get you through the rough patches.

By the way, I also noticed in the Expert Forum that you described yourself as having smoked 'until Tuesday.'  It is wonderful that you have quit (and I know it is difficult), but when giving your medical history, since smoking is a significant risk factor for several diseases, I am sure you know that it is important to state that you have smoked for x number of years and have quit only recently.

Hi Julie,
Glad you've had an answer about your test findings from a cardiologist on here.

I won't tell you off for being worried if you still are after the reassurance, or tell you that you need to go off and book a therapist necessarily - dealing with the anxiety that comes from heart issues is a battle we all fight and we all progress at different rates. I would say maybe come back to the cardiologist's answer a little later and try to view it more objectively - it sounds like you just need testing to rule things out, not to confirm a specfic, scary diagnosis.

Best of luck to you!
i'm a 23 yr old male, Its like weird things happening with me , i dont know what exactly it is. there are symptoms like my nose is always blocked , either  one nostril is always block , there is no chest pain but a weird feeling in chest , shortness of breath and dizziness sometimes with rapid heart beat and dry coughing , i feel like i have a major problem related to my health , 1 day i landed up in ER with increased heart beat and tingling in my hands, all test were negative and doctor said every things is normal. suddenly while driving or at office or doing some work i feeling my heart beating faster and i'm running out of breath , and i feel the blood running through my hands , legs and back.

today while driving back home i felt like my heart stopped for a second , but then after 15-20 mins , i was back to normal . i have problem with stool , its kind of foamy , white foam appearance with the stool,  stomach and part of chest make noise through out the day it feels like i have gas, i have trouble sleeping also , some times i feel my nose is totally blocked and sometimes its totally good and free. i am a vegetarian , non smoker non drinker .

apart from this i have fear that something in terribly wrong with my health . and after reading the symptoms of anxiety attach i feel it is just anxiety , my life has changed a lot , i fear to travel , always want to be near by a hospital, keep on searching for symptoms i have..