Hepatitis Social Community
Joe melsha walks to raise awareness of hep C

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

There is a man named Joe Melsha. I guess he lost his mother and sister to hep C.  He is walking from Santa Cruz Ca. to Boston Ma.  Now to raise awareness.. He will be going through old route 66 on to Florida, then north to Boston.
     Joe Melsha is on facebook. he accepts new friends daily. Joe had a write up in the paper   goodtimessantacruz.com  
I think Joe could have better shoes, and better weather, but here's to Joe.   Joe will probally talk to more newspapers on the way and newcrews. I am close to 66 so I will be following his story. Maybe I can give him a warm meal and refuge.  His feet already look sore. But he is educating the public.  I thought you might want to know. I heard about him on another forum.
Tags: Awareness
Here's his web site with a place where people can donate funds to help him on his trip.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

http://joemelsha.com/

Diane
Oh my his feet look so painfull...I could not walk with feet like that. He needs a horse! Or better shoes...He is in Lompoc Ca. I dont think his diet of "cup of soup" is good for a walker eighter. But I hear the newspapers will be following his story... I think his will be a hard journey. He is ill equipted
He disappeared with all the money, never 'walked' and called everyone that was glad that Bin Laden died "vaginas"..random and weird, yes. But, also super disrespectful to everyone that supported him!
It seems the general consensus is he's a scam artist.
Little background: I'm from Santa Cruz and have known Joe for over 25 years, and I considered myself his friend. Initially, I supported his 'noble' cause (this was prior to the inconsistencies and concerns) and knowing that, I wouldn't deceive people and play on their sympathies and/or ask them for money, it never occurred to me that he would even be capable of something like that.
However, I no longer consider him a friend. Prior to this decision, I had defended him publicly, as well as, having sent him money (more than once). So please believe me when I say, I also was taken in by him.  But, after he stopped walking for some strange reason that didn't quite make sense last year, he's asked for money for everything from an ID, to a Bicycle, to us Ticket (for a "walk"?!) and then of course all of the complaints on his wall and website by the many people that had supported him and sent him money, only to have him disappear with all of it....I began to wonder...what happened to him?
Out of concern, I called his cell phone and left a message. No reply (although before he was quick to respond, especially  when I sent him money). So I tried his girlfriend (also, previously very easy to reach). I asked her what was up and how he was doing, but, rather than answering my simple question, she blocked me and refused to respond...so now what?!
On May 1, JOE MELSHA wrote:
This:        "HE [Osama] WAS JUST ANOTHER HUMAN BEING WHO FELT STRONGLY ABOUT HIS BELIEFS."
then this:  "Bin Laden was someone's son"
this:          "No AMERICAN has ever been as down for his beliefs as BIN LADEN"
this:          "I can't believe you lil vag!nas calling a true man a coward"
this:          "You all believe GEORGE now that aN"
this:          "Your all bunch of pu%sies that wouldn't even stand up to pee"
this:          "You effin spokes in the wheel.... keep peddling for the man.. and believe that someone's death brings peace."
this:          "So when do our troops come home? I guess its all over now right?"
Ok so everyone is entitled to their opinion...but calling everyone "pussies"? I mean, come on!
I wondered, was this his thanks to everyone for supporting him? Or, was this just his way of telling everyone that he was no longer interested in their support, or walking?
Some folks held out hope that he had been hacked. But, when they saw other similar posting on other peoples walls coming from his cell phone, they figured that, Yes, it was in fact Joe. That coupled with the fact that no one has seen from him or heard from him (or the money) since then, and in fact even before then by several months.
Also, I have Hep C, he doesn't. And I resent the hell out of him for doing this under the Hep C banner. Especially when their are real people out there doing this like this guy: http://www.facebook.com/darren.j.ellwood Darren John Ellwood, who is walking across Austalia for Hep C and never asked for a dime! But Darren also sent money to Joe and got taken. SHAME!!!
Blondie: " I am close to 66"

Dang girl - you don't look a day over 60! And that was 6 mos ago.
Oops, that was supposed to say asked for money for a Bus Ticket (for a walk?)...also, I really want to reiterate, that I also believed in him, Big Time! Initially, I spoke out on his behalf, and was a huge cheerleader (for his cause). I think mainly because I did that, I feel like it's my responsibilty to get the word out. I truly am sorry if my words encouraged anyone to donate. I was dupped with everyone else and gave him money. It happens to the best of us, and the rest of us, I guess.
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, having Hep C myself, I was really (blinded) passionate about his cause.
Remember, there are good honest people out there! It just seems Joe Melsha is not one of them.
    Deb sorry you were duped. I thought what he was doing was nice at first. Then I noticed he was mean to people. And took advantage of them. and if anyone said dont try and quilt trip me or my granny got the hep from med procedures , he was rude and cut them off his friends list. But Deb its better to learn who your friends really are in life.. I think I know who ya are. Im Und now. I think I will see if he still has a wall on the FB  "What a looser and a low life" he was. I have heard of the noble causes of Darren Ellwood on the FB. Thanks for letting people know! Funny your ears must of been burning or maybe mine. because I was just talking about joe M this morning. Ginger