Milk Thistle
Hi Everyone- I was wondering, what is the most effective form of milk thistle? I can't seem to find that info in any previous posts, and it does work to lower my liver enzymes so I wanna take the strongest stuff possible. Oh ya- is it safe to take with my bx coming up on Aug 22? I haven't had a bx since '96- I'm kinda nervous and don't wanna take anything that will cause complications. Thanks!
Best wishes and prayers to all,
Dee
    I saw an herbalist/MD who recommends PhysioLogics Milk thistle extract, which is what I use;; 6 tabs daily of 250 mgs.  I'd think fresh milk thistle made into an infusion would be stronger only due to it being fresher but its hard to know the dosage. illo mentioned sprinkling milk thistle in her cereal. Sorry, I don't have better info. for you. You could try searching the archives. Ask your doctor. Mine doesn't mind using it with tx.
Hi- Ithought I replied to you yesterday but can't find the post. Thanks for your reply- I'll try to get the milk thistle you use. I'm all set with the sprinkling on cereal though I'm sure it's stronger that way- but judging from the smell of the capsules, I don't wanna take that shite!
  How are you doin, anyway? Done with tx? I looked for some recent posts from you to see how everything is going but couldn't find any. Hope all is well!
Best wishes and prayers,
Dee
I've been taking milk thistle for years now. I really don't know what the best brand is, and I feel hesitant in recommending one because I honestly can't attest with certainty if the one I use is the best (plus it might be in violation of the forum rules). But I use "maximum milk thistle" (google it and you'll find their website), I've always heard they're one of the most reputable milk thistle extract manufacturers around (not the cheapest though). Max milk thistle is also combined with a substance that supposedly increases its bioavailability, which if true would be a selling point. And again, I don't personally know if the increased bioavailability claims are accurate, but the manufacturer has been around for a while and they do have seem to have a good reputation.

As far as your biopsy results are concerned, I recall reading or hearing that I was not supposed to take milk thistle for many weeks or months prior to getting my last liver biopsy (prior to entering a drug trial). It didn't explain why milk thistle was contraindicated, but all I could figure is that it might reduce inflammation somewhat and thereby serve to slightly throw off the measurement/assessment of the true inflammation during the grading process (i.e. when it's looked at under the microscope). As far as I know milk thistle does not thin the blood at all nor pose any increased bleeding risk nor pose any other negative side effect that may cause problems during a biopsy. It's a very benign herb with an excellent safety profile, so all I can think of is that it may actually make the liver look a little better than it actually is under the microscope. You might want to research that though, just my guess offhand.
Thanks for your reply- you always give excellent information! That max milk thistle sounds good-  I like reputable companies when it comes to herbs, cuz it's a bit scary that they don't have the same inspection/regulations as pharmacy meds. And I will not take any milk thistle til after my bx- that makes sense about the inflammation going down. I know it lowers my liver enzymes, so it must do something good! Thanks again- have a great day!
Best wishes and prayers,
Dee
Hi, I never did the sprinkling on cereal thing but that was with fresh dried milk thistle not the stuff in capsules. That doesn't mean it tastes any better!!!
      I posted a brief update titled: 2 weeks post tx. My last shot was 7/12.  I'm doing better and better. I feel like I was in a funnel and have finally come out into the wide open part. My vision has expanded. I'm still tired but not fatigued and so glad just to function again. I guess that’s why I'm not on the computer as much these days.    Thanks for asking.      Good luck,  smilingly, OH