Hepatitis Social Community
Survival Rates

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Survival Rates

Survival rate statistics for Liver conditions: The following are statistics from various sources about the survival rate for Liver conditions:
The 1 year survival rate for patients who have a liver transplant is 85% in the US (University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
The 5 year survival rate for patients who have a liver transplant is 70% in the US (University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
81.9% is the 1 year survival rate for paediatric patients who have had a liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
69.7% is the 1 year survival rate for grafts in paediatric patients who have had a liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
75.9% is the 1 year survival rate for paediatric patients who have had a live-donor liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
70.9% is the 1 year survival rate for paediatric patients who have had a whole liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
60.3% is the 1 year survival rate for paediatric patients who have had a split-liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
61.1% is the 1 year survival rate for paediatric patients who have had a reduced-size liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
83.3% is the 1 year survival rate for grafts in paediatric patients under 1 who have had a live-donor liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
89.4% is the 1 year survival rate for paediatric patients under 1 who have had a live-donor liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
62.3% is the 1 year survival rate for grafts in paediatric patients under 1 who have had a whole-liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
76.5% is the 1 year survival rate for paediatric patients under 1 who have had a whole-liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
62.7% is the 1 year survival rate for grafts in paediatric patients under 1 who have had a split-liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)
75% is the 1 year survival rate for paediatric patients under 1 who have had a split-liver graft 1990-96 (UNOS, University of Southern California’s Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases)

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/l/liver/deaths.htm

Sorry bout the above post..at first i thought it was worth posting...its not really that infromative...but some parts are interesting.
I think it's very informative for those who are weighing whether to treat or not...This shows where they could wind up if they develop liver failure from hep C and are lucky enough to get a liver...:) ~Melinda
It strikes home how serious this illness truly can be, I agree with MedicMommy.  It is a serious part of the issue that people who are weighing the choices do have to think about.

I thought it was a little scary after i posted it...but reality is also needed to come to grips with HCV....i havnt been posting much latley...just feeling  a wee bit blue after all that happening to me lately...but i am feeling better now as the days go by...im just taking care of certain things ...and i thought meds were a full time job...LOL...my hands are over flowing now...jezz....when it rains on me....it comes in bucket fulls sloshed in my face
It's a reality check for those of us in the middle of tx---reminds us why we are fighting.

Maybe this will help with the rain.........=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfpAKjrgsw&feature=relate...