Hepatitis Social Community
Update

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Update

Last time I wrote I talked about a bacteria I picked up while fishing back in Oct. I believe it's called fish handlers disease. Well after x rays, ultra sound, MRI's one with contrast, exploratory surgery 38 stitches later. Lab work attempting to grow the bacteria, still no luck. My hand looks like a boxing glove is on it, swollen like the skin wants to split open.

I had to stop treatment 4 weeks early. I made it through 44 weeks. The thinking behind stopping tx was the interferon was keeping my body from fighting against this bacteria. It's all good anyway, the Hep C is GONE and I cheated the drugs out of 4 weeks. With some luck it will remain undetected.I was lucky to have no sx during tx it just slammed my hand on it's way out.

So any one starting tx hang in there, and good luck.............

Tags: hep c
Thanks for the update. Congratulations on finishing Tx. I surely hope your hand improves. Please let us know how the hand does and also be sure to let us know when you get your 12 weeks post EOT lab and your 24 week post EOT lab.

Best of luck.
If one makes it past the 24 week time frame, do your changes of staying that way improve.
congrats on finishing tx.  i hope your hand improves.  it sounds horrible.  i've never heard of any fish handlers disease.  is it ocean or fresh water?  best wishes.  belle
It's Micobacteria or bactreium. It's found in all out waters fresh and salt. For me it was salt. It can enter our bodies through a simple scratch. There are hundred's of these strains. Finding the correct one can take months. Fluid was taken from my tendon sack, with tissue samples.It's very slow growing and travels through our tendons.It started out in my finger and has made it's way into my hand and now my wrist.  
"If one makes it past the 24 week time frame, do your changes of staying that way improve. "
-----------------------------------

I looked back at your posts. Your were a previous partial responder which is why you were doing 48 weeks. I don't see what your fibrosis stage is. Hopefully not cirrhotic.  You were UND at 4 weeks this Tx with Inf., Riba, and Incivek. I am guessing you have been UND since that time? At least from your posts it appears you have been UND since week 4.

Being UND at week 4 is a good predictor for SVR. Plus, the longer one stays UND the better it is. At least you did not have a viral breakthrough. There is still a chance of relapse, but having been UND at 4 weeks is a good predictor of SVR. (Not 100%, but a good predictor.)

I will see if I can find the SVR stats for a prev. partial responder who was UND at week 4 of triple Tx. It would help to know your fibrosis stage.
In the Realize trial it looks like the SVR rate for previous Partial Responders was 59% (12 weeks of Inf., Riba., Incivek followed by 36 weeks Inf. and Riba).

"In REALIZE, participants were randomized to receive: 12 weeks of telaprevir with 48 weeks of pegIFN and ribavirin (T12PR48);"

Partial Responders SVR rate:  59%

Now, don't freak out about that percent. For one thing it is not broken down into how many who achieved UND status at week 4 attained SVR and how many who were still DET at week 4 attained SVR. Attaining UND at week 4 should increase your chance. I will see if I can find a study that breaks that part down. But don't get hung up on the numbers.

When I treated and was still DET at week 4 that fact (still being DET at week 4) immediately lowered my chances to no higher than 64% and some stats put my chances even lower, something like 54% I think. Well, it is what it is. Worrying won't change the stats. You did treatment to the best of your ability and did very well to be UND at week 4 and stay UND for the duration of Tx. Your chances are very good. (And I did attain SVR even with either 54% or 64% chance, depending on the study one looked at.)

Best of luck. Now on to SVR.

Here is the link for that quote in the above post:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20375406/

Here is another article and link:

http://hepatitiscnewdrugs.blogspot.com/2012/12/predictors-of-response-to-chronic.html

The following link is the best link I think. It breaks down SVR rate by previous response in combination with liver fibrosis stage. Go to Figure 4, about half way down the page, and there is a chart/graph and you can see if your fibrosis stage is low, you have a 72% chance of SVR even though you are a partial responder.

http://www.clinicaloptions.com/Hepatitis/Treatment%20Updates/HCV%20New%20Agents/Module/Practical_Guide/Pages/Page%202.aspx

Thanks, it's all good. My liver is in very good shape, no scaring, beginning stage one. At the worst case my liver received a nice vacation for 44 weeks. My doctors said about a year an half a new treatment will be out with no inf. and very little sx. Like you said it is what it is, there's no freaking out on my end just another closed chapter.Now my attention needs to be focused on my hand. Thank's Again,,,,,,,,