High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
BP, neuro, pregnancy...help

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) is a reading of 140 (systolic) over 90 (diastolic), or higher and can often lead to heart disease and can often be made worse by high-salt diets. Discuss topics including good low-salt diets, heart disease and treatments.

BP, neuro, pregnancy...help

I am a 31 year old female with hypertension and am 26 weeks pregnant.  I am on Labetalol and it works well.  This all started about 7 months ago ( before I was pregnant).  I woke up one morning and my face was tight/ numbish.  It got worse throughout the day and I went to the ER where they did a CT scan (normal), blood work (normal), ekg (normal).

The facial numbness never went away for more than a few hours at a time, but started switching sides and coming and going.  I started having headaches, which I never had before.   Then I got pregnant on accident and soon after started another symptom.  I felt tingles/prickles all over....every side, all parts....sometimes just one prickle, sometimes lots of prickles.  It got worse in the heat.

Then came the buzzing...in my left knee, my left hip, my right hip, my right foot, my right shoulder blade, left forehead.....a pulsating vibration...on for two seconds, off for five seconds.  Not all at once....the location changed over time with an episode not lasting longer than two weeks at the most....usually three days.  I never had the sensation in several places at the same time.  

Most of these symptoms have eased up or disappeared.  But I still have the facial numbness that comes and goes and brings with it a heck of a headache.  The headache feels dull all over but feels sharp and stabbing around my eyes and small, specific parts of my head.  I see sparkles and feel terrible.....and, yet my bp is 115/65.  

I saw a neuro who said he cant do anything for me until I have the baby.  He did get me an EEG which was normal, B12 which was 525, and Lyme which was neg.   My PCP thinks it is all stress and my OB is not concerned.
I think this is a case where you need to trust your doctors, keep them informed of any changes and have them treat this aggressively after you give birth.

Jon
Fair enough.  Thanks for the comment.  I appreciate your post.