Horses & Large Animals Community
Horse Nutrition

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

Horse Nutrition

Hi, I have my horse on a stable where they substitute the horse concentrate for Human Corn Flakes. Is this healthy? How can it affect my horse nutrition?

Thanks for all the help you can give me.

Johnny
Not a good idea.  You wouldn't eat concentrate for your meals, would you?  You wouldn't feed your hampster's food to your dog, would you?  Breed specific feeds are developed for that particular breeds nutritional requirements. Why are they feeding corn flakes?  In any event, corn can be diffcult to digest.  I currently feed Progressive Premium Performance feed which has no corn.  
I agree with lindsp62, I would reccomend buying your own horse feed and placing it in gallon sized ziplock baggies for the stable hands to feed your horse. Corn is high in energy and can cause the horse to become very hot. Not only is it hard for them to digest, but corn really has no nutritional balance to it whatsoever. I would suggest having your horse on a horse feed, Purina is a good brand and makes a wonderful low carbohydrate sweet feed and pellet mixture.
I also wanted to add, I hope they are soaking the corn flakes? Anything made into a saluable solution can cause the food to expand in your horses stomach therefore creating numerous digestion/gastrointestinal issues, such as frequent colic.
Hello human corn flakes will not hurt your horse if the amount is with in limits how ever the balance of the cornflakes nutrition value which is designed for small human stomaches will not be high enough to give your horse the full nutrient values he needs and will only offer small amount of fibre as the flake is cooked and will be digested fairly quickly i hope the flakes are being fed with chaff or some hard fibre content which every horse needs to keep a healthy gut and i hope the feed if being moistened with water or some liquid to dampen the feed if not there could be risk of choking with dry feeds with the feeds being short cut fibre.
If your horse in only in light work or is a cob or pony a high fibre feed is suitable for these types if not in hard work if your horse is blood type and in hard work he may need a slightly higher calibur of feed to maintain his weight and for the energy he needs for his work load and cornflakes will not give him all he needs.

I would say not an ideal food source how ever fed carefully and not over fed as cornflakes are easily digested they cant do much harm but would advise to moisten feeds always for easy chewing and swallowing and to help with digestion.
In my opinion if you were to feed it to your to soak it overnight as there is a choking hazard.

Also the nutrients in the cereal might not be suitable for your particular horse, so please consult your vet.