Horses & Large Animals Community
Wieght Problems

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

Wieght Problems

I have a 8 year old gelding and he is a lean built horse. Over the summer i rode him alot, and he became very musclular. This fall I have cut back on his work out so that he could put on some wieght, but he is not gaining any wieght. He is a regular wormer program, he just got his teeth done this summer, he gets 3lbs. of of a 12% feed and hay in the morning( he also gets the same at night).
here is a calculator that will figure the amount of feeds  you should be giving your horse.  It is very important to weigh the food as weights can differ...especially different types of hay. If your horse is out on pasture and it hasn't rained all summer (like here), then there is not enough forage for him to eat and the amounts of hay will not compensate.  

http://www.baileyshorsefeeds.co.uk/feedingexplained/calculator.htm

What kind of hay do you feed? What kind of grain? I agree its good to weigh your horses feed but a genaric feed calculater may not be a cure all for everyone. When my horses are not in high work they get a low protien high fiber diet.Lotsa different horses on alot of diferent feed routines. Roughage,roughfage!!!! If a horse needs alittle extra a high fat low protien grain is great. Adding alittle oil adds fat too. Rarely an older horse or injured horse will get weightbuilder suppliment to help out w/ weight. It sounds like you need to feed out alittle more hay and try adding in a haystretcher type feed. It makes my hay last longer and reduces hay belly on my easy keepers. Also is it possible your horse is cold?My guys are mostly in run outs and I have to blanket some of my little arabs who refuse to grow hair!!! I try to toughen'm up but I can't stand to see them shivering!!!Good luck.
If you are concerned about weight try beat pulp, it is often used to help thin or older horses gain weight. However you need to make sure that you fix it correctly as it is something you need to soak in water to expand it and make it correctly. Your horse may not like the taste of it, it's rather bland so mix it in with some feed to make it tastier. I bought 2 older mares about 7 years ago I believe one was around the age of 18 and the other close to 24 it was really hard to tell because it looked like they had hard lives. They each weighed around 400lbs, which is very very unhealthy for horses their size. I started them on the beat pulp and they gained weight rather quickly, as well as energy. Within a year I had them looking great! However this may not be your guys problem. Just a suggestion :). If he starts to look like he is losing too much weight seek immediate vet attention.
What types of oils do you use in your feed...I have a 30 year old galding, that has bad teeth, he eats but when he chews grass or hay he will spit it out.
I am currently feeding him sweetfeed and regular grain feed twice a day, I have spoke to a vet and they say that my horse is just old, any suggestions would be appriciated.