Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Need Professional Help

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

Need Professional Help

I had an abdominal Hysterectomy on 4/26.  I was in the hospital 3 days.  I was discharged with a fever but told to keep an eye on it.  On 5/5 the pain was so bad and the fever had went up to 101.6 the night before.  I was sent for blood work and an ultra sound.  After the ultra sound, they called the ob/gyn who sent me back to the hospital and had me admitted.  I was gushing blood like substance from my vagina and by the time I got to the ultra sound, I could not pee anymore (literally nothing would come out).  I was put on antibiotics and on 5/7 I had a drainage tube put in (a VERY PAINFUL PROCEDURE) because I was told that I had abscess.  On 5/9 it was taken out because they said it wasn't an abscess it was a hematoma or a seroma (the drainage tube had not drained anything and had caused A LOT of pain).  On 5/11 I was discharged saying that the hematoma was 50% smaller than it had been on 5/5 and would probably continue to drain vaginally like it had been and that it should take care of itself within the next month or so.  I am still having pain during urination and the drainage vaginally has basically stopped (I assume because that area where the doctor had put stitches has healed and there is no exit for fluid.  The doctor said the pain may never go away.  They also make no apologies for putting in the drainage tube that I didn't need.  Can I get a professional opinion on all of this?  Please?  I live in a small town and there isn't a lot of places to turn...
Hello Mindy1977
There is not enough details for me to say with certainty what happen in your case. Post -infection(abscess) and Hematoma are common post-op complications. Sometimes differentiating between the two when they occur can be challenging. The fact you were haveing recurrent post-op fevers as late as day 3 is suspect for an infectious cause. Posterior pelvic wall hematomas occlude the urinary tract if they spread and become large enough. Abscesss and Hematomas can be incised and drained if warranted. It is not uncommon that when this treat option is utilized, drains will be placed. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Thank you for responding to me, nobody seems to want to answer me.  I am still (now almost a month later) having pain during urination (the pain is in my abdomen).  I had a new ultrasound done Friday to see how big the hematoma is now, but I am concerned both about the pain during urination and about the fact that there is no more drainage happening vaginally of the hematoma.  Should I be concerned?  If you could spare some more of your time to help me, I would greatly appreciate it.