Immunization & Vaccine Community
Accidental needle poke during vaccine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Accidental needle poke during vaccine

Sir ,
Recently my 1.5 yrs old kids (twin) visited doctor's place for vaccine .
During the process our doctor accidentally poked him self with the needle and had a small bleeding .

Also he used the same cotton for himself and one of my kid after vaccinating .

My query is , can this accident harm my kids ? If so what should I do now ?
** It happened on 22nd Dec 2013 . Age of our doctor is around 75+ years .

Me and my family is in huge fear can you please guide us ?

Thanks very much .
Regards,

Accidental needle pokes are expected in a hospital setup which not only puts the staff and patients at risk of transmitted infections.

In your case,the needle prick to the Doctor, could have taken care by discarding that particular needle and using a new one.But I am so embarrassed to know that it was not done.The chances of any infection (particularly blood borne infections) depend on presence of disease in the host (Doctor) and amount of pathogen entering the body of the recipient (your kid),depth of penetration of needle stick etc.The Doctor should sterilize himself with alcohol or spirit,wear sterile gloves before he does such procedures like vaccinations,which is mandatory,it is also neglected in most of the poor setups with no protocols.

But as far as I can see, the risk of transmission of serious infections that might occur with needle prick injuries are mostly HIV and HBV,HCV.And the staff are vaccinated to reduce the risk of such diseases in a hospital setup.So I do not think that you should be worried but just consider it as medical negligence.Make sure you warn the Doctor who could not follow simple steps of hand washing, sterilization, discarding needles,and apologizing after such accident.  

1.5 years vaccines are DPT Booster, Polio – Booster,HIB Meningitis – Booster dose which are not transmitted by this kind of accident.Stay calm.