Immunization & Vaccine Community
Rabies Vaccination Question
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rabies Vaccination Question

So I started rabies post exposure prophylaxis in Thailand two weeks ago due to a monkey bite at a tourist site.  I'm in a bit of a conundrum as I may have been potentially exposed to another source of rabies as of two days ago...I woke up two mornings ago with scratch marks and what looks like a puncture wound scab on my lower leg.  I have NO idea how it got there...I don't recall being bitten while awake and I didn't see a bat in my hotel room.  My question is, if I am potentially exposed to rabies twice within a matter of weeks, do I just continue with my original rabies PEP vaccination schedule (received my 4th vaccination the day after my potential second exposure to rabies...if that makes sense) or do I need to start the whole PEP sequence over again?  Will there be enough protection from the original PEP vaccinations?  
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!

If you had the post exposure rabies prophylaxis, it usually provides immunity for 2-3 years. If a booster dose is taken after one year, then immunity could be conferred for 8-10 years. So, you should not need a second course.

In a hotel room the puncture wound with scab and scratch mark could be due to mosquito bite. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Blank
6 years ago I was bitten by a monkey, never got a vaccination.
Two years ago I was bitten by a cat, this time I got a full vaccination, 3 vaccines and on the spot and completed the 5 more every week.
This year I got bitten again by a dog, so they gave me a booster (2 vaccines) and required me to go back after two days which i fully intend to, my question is, am I still endanger considering that 6 years ago when I had my first bite i never undergone a PEP? thanks
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Immunization & Vaccine Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...