Immunization & Vaccine Community
Trying to conceive and pertussis vaccine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

I'm 39 years old and would like to start to try to conceive in a month. Is it necessary for me to take the Tdap vaccine before trying to conceive? Is the vaccine live-virus?  If I should take it, how long do I need to wait before trying to conceive? Thanks!
Tags: pertussis
It would be wise to get the Tdap vaccination before getting pregnant. It is NOT a live virus vaccine so it is safe to get prior to conceiving. The Measles/Mumps/Rubella is also an important vaccine to have had prior to becoming pregnant.  It is now reccomended to have two MMR vaccinations and they are normally given in childhood at one year and six years, If you have not had the second one, it would be wise to get it, BUT it is a LIVE VIRUS vaccine and not to be given while you are pregnant.