Immunization & Vaccine Community
help urgent please rabies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

help urgent please rabies

am 19 years old and on March 9 2013, i was not exactly scratched but i steped backwards and a cat was on the floor and the cat nails came into contact with my back toe. the incident to place at a temple near my house. there was no bleeding or visible mark but i washed by feet and i came home and told my dad and he did not think i need rabies shots. also some time back i gave the cat milk since it gave birth to kittens. i also brushed it aside because the cat was not acting strange in anyway and then there was some news about a child that got rabies from a cat bite and i freaked out. i saw the cat again in 2.5 weeks where it was still alive with it kitten. at 3 weeks i could not find the cat but its kitten is still there. what are the chances i can get rabies because i cant do anything than think about rabies.

1. after 3 weeks if i get vaccinated will it be effective ????
2. even after the vaccine will can i still develop rabies?

I think your fear is unfounded.  Sounds like the cat was healthy.  

Also it was a scratch from the nail of the cat, not a bite (with saliva). Rabies is transmitted in saliva of infected animals.

Sorry, I will correct myself.  

I reread your post and you said there was no wound at all.

There is no way you could get rabies without a wound.

Please relax and put this out of your mind.