Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Insomnia: possible link to thyroid or adrenal issues?

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

I am 34 year old female who has been experiencing chronic insomnia & severe fatigue (not alleviated with sleep) along with depression & chronic neck/shoulder/back pain for the past 8 years. I have been given various sleeping pills, (lunesta, ambien, trazodone, etc but feel they are not allowing my body to get into the deeper REM stage and and that could be part of the reason I never feel rested or get relief from my other symptoms.

I was informed last week that I have a large thyroid nodule with normal T4, TSH, THBR, BUT increased T3 (254)
I would assume that this could possibly be connected to my chronic insomnia and was wondering your thoughts on that? I also showed extremely low serotonin (21 with optimal 101-283) on a serum lab done last year and very high serum cortisol levels so am wondering if my adrenal function might possibly be involved as well or if there is even a way to test for that within allopathic medicine?

I would also love to know what you might call this kind of large nodule with toxic/high levels T3 yet normal TSH and T4...I have been reading online and think it might be called something like a hyper-regulating autonomous nodule or hot nodule? I have read that sometimes removal by surgery of the thyroid is the best option but I feel like it would be in my best interest to help my insomnia and fatigue to try to look at and balance the different components that might be involved such as adrenals or maybe pituitary...I would love any advice you may have to help me understand this issue better...

I thank you ever so much and I really appreciate your time and all the helpful advice and knowledge that I see you have given to the members of this forum for many years!

Warmest regards and thanks.
Katherine

I am not a physician s0 I cannot comment on nodules or provide medical feedback. I can tell you that chronic insomnia is rarely due to thyroid or adrenal issues and, if these factors played a role, behavioral factors play an important role in the insomnia as well. I would suggest an evaluation at a sleep center wherte a sleep physician can take a history and provide a medical assessment.

Dr. Jacobs
I suffered insomnia for 30 years. It was found that I was hypothyroid and deficient in iodine. I also have high cortisol levels. Iodine was the big breakthrough and I began to lead a normal life. When cortisol levels keep me from getting to sleep at a normal time. I take a miniscule dose of xanax. Half of a .25 pill works just fine. I should add that such prolonged insomnia damaged my health.
A related discussion, Tightness of  feet and INsomnia was started.