Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
SLEEPING PROBLEM & Erectile dysfunction?

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Please help! I'm 28 years old and have been masturbating frequently for as long as I remember (13 years), on average I'm guessing at least twice a day sometimes less or more. The problem I am facing over the past (8) years or so it has been very difficult to achieve an erection.  I've had weak/soft erections on a regular basis, while mastrubating.  I am a Virgin. I am worrying about my post marriage sexual relationship because of this erectile dysfunction. I'm finding it a possibility that I'll be unable to perform and I think the stress/depression is making it worse. I can't have a solid erection during masturbation.  Only occasionally in the morning waking up will I have a decent erection, and even then it seems softer/weaker than past.  I haven't had a rock hard erection for years.  I'm scared to death now that after 28 years I'm finally having sex and won't be able to enjoy it, or even perform at all.   Is this permanent?  If I stop masturbation, which I'm pretty sure I'm capable of doing, for a period of time and then lessen masturbation in the future.. will the chemicals balance themselves out again and I can achieve a firm erection?  or is this permanent damage that has been done that will require some kind of drugs? I am having sleeping problem. I consulted a psychiatrist and had he given me (Trikka or Anxit), sleeping tablets. I could sleep only while I take this medicine. So I stopped taking this and consulted a psychologist. He told me that I am having avoidant personality disorders, which have started in my childhood days. Is this the cause for anxiety or sleeplessness or erectile dysfunction? Whom should I consult; treatment and what are the treatment duration for this? If so, then I have to search an eminent psychologist. If I get good sleep, then erectile dysfunction is okay?

This is not a sleep question. Please ask your doctor about these matters.

Dr. Jacobs
But please advice me why I am not getting sleep? due to anxity?? ED might be a side effect of this? If there is any small problem, then I will think of it again and again (tension
). How can I overcome this sleeping problem? Thanks in advance
ED is not related to sleep. Insomnia can be caused by many factors although when it is chronic it becomes "learned". See my blog on 12/18 for 10 tips for improving sleep or my website.

Dr. Jacobs
www.cbtforinsomnia.com
A related discussion, My penus is always erected at night even thogh I don't think about sex. Is this the cause of my insomnia? was started.