Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Unable to fall asleep anymore, what do I do?

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

For the last few months, I have been unable to fall asleep normally (something I used to do with great ease).  Whenever I become tired and get ready to go to sleep (actually lie down) I begin to get a pain in my legs.  Very recently, this pain has moved into my hips.  I've tried just falling asleep with the pain, which has not worked.  I've also attempted to take over the counter pain medications to reduce the pain, which has also not worked.  The only way I seem to be able to get any sleep is by simply waiting it out and finally passing out after +24 hours without sleep.  Any ideas?
If the pain in the legs is what is disrupting your sleep, the pain must be addressed by your doctor. He/she may also suggest an evaluation at a sleep clinic since this could be related to restless legs.

Dr. Jacobs
The extremely bizarre part about all of this (I forgot to mention, since I've been awake almost 36 hours now) is that once I do fall asleep and then wake up, the pain is gone.  It only seems to come about when I'm getting ready to sleep.
In that case, this is more likely to be associated with restless legs. Many primary care doctors will simply treat the restless legs themselves first, and only refer a patient to a sleep center of the patient does not respond to treatment.

Dr. Jacobs