Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Drugs for aorata root dilatation in Ehlers Danlos Type 3

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Genetic's doctor spoke of two beta blocking drugs for 'aorta root dilatation'. Atenalo and Cozaar. In reading about these in pill book, I already suffer from cold spots in the extremities, kidney problems at times and several of the other nasty's listed as side effects, etc. Have a hard time keeping weight on me[130 lbs -5' 5 1/2"], low body temperature [97]. Blood pressure today-108 / 60.  I do low impact exercises in the water, tai chi, and walking with in my mobility limits, and eat Heart Healthy. Don't drink or smoke, and limit caffeine tremendously.  I will be going through another echogram soon to determine if the dilatation numbers have changed from 6 years ago. I am 53 and managed to NOT take any drugs dues to drug allergies in regards to the Elhers Danlos syndrome Type 3 hypermobility.  What are the odds of the heart rupturing at my age if one doesn't take these drugs? Can a person stay on the lower side of the dose 25 - 50 mg's and still have them work in the prevention catagory? Any one out there taking either of these drugs for Elhers Danlos?
The risk of an aortic dissection relates to the size of the aorta and beta blocking drugs help limit the expansion of the aorta.  A low dose is better than NO dose.
I don't have EDS, but my aortic root is at the high end of normal, and I might have some mild degree of connective tissue problem (not enough of anything for a diagnosis), but the enlarging of my aorta was completely stopped by taking max dose of valsartan (similar to cozaar (ARB)). Many other people I know w/ connective tissue problems like MFS have had the same results, or aortic shrinkage.  I have not yet heard of anyone taking a proper dose of ARB and continuing aortic enlargement. Perindopril, an ACEi, is another drug to look into (8mg, max dosage).

A related discussion, EDS? was started.