Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
femoral artery bruit
About This Forum:

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

femoral artery bruit

In early September, I underwent a heart cath to rule out any blockages due to several abnormal EKGs since April which had shown ST rhythm changes (which continued to change during that time.)   In the end, no problems were found.   However, when I went back to the cardio. for the 5 week checkup, he heard a bruit over the incision site in my rt. groin.   He sent me for an ultrasound to rule out an AV fistula.   The ultrasound didn't show any fistula, but the ultrasound tech pointed out one area to the dr. and said something about "high velocity here".    The cardio. said no, that he thought that wasn't a problem area, that it was just the insertion site of the cath healing itself.   (My artery was closed with a StarClose device.)   I am also a worrier!!   He said he would recheck in 6 months, but in the meantime, I'm concerned . . what could cause a bruit, and are they dangerous?  Is this somewhat normal after a heart cath to find a femoral bruit?  I'm 39, thin, nonsmoker, good cholesterol levels, no other issues beyond the ST changes and GERD (which I take Zantac for).  I have a lot of anxiety which causes my BP to become high, esp. at dr.'s office, but generally it is okay (around 120/30s over 80s).    What do you think about the bruit?   Again, I am worried that something has gone wrong with the healing from the cath.