Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
30% kidney function

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

30% kidney function

My daughter is 5 and was told by a urologist earlier this month that she has 30% kidney function on the right side with some pretty bad scarring. The doctor didn't seem to be concerned at all but after some research I found out that 59%-30% is moderate kidney insufficiency so my question is about how long will it be until she'll need dyalasis (sp?) or a transplant? Last December we were told that her kidneys were next to perfect.
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? Can you elaborate on the scarring present? As mentioned from the other post, the length of time prior to kidney failure  ( GFR result below 15 mL/min/1.73 m2 ) depends on a variety of factors including the diagnosis, symptoms present, results of other diagnostic tests and overall health. Seeking another specialist's opinion may also help,  Do keep us posted and best regards.