CKD bubbles and air in urine
Hi I am 51 and have ckd, stage 3-4 (egfr fluctuates a lot)  .  I also have an ileal conduit as i had my bladder taken out. For those that dont know it is the same as a colosotmy (stoma and bag) but its for the kidneys to drain urine instead.  So I have a day bag and of a night I attach a large catheter bag.  
My question is this. I have had for a couple of years now, white bubbles on the top of my urine , they look exactly like you see on the top of beer.  When I get up in the morning and empty my night bag, it is full to capacity because of air, its blown up like a balloon!. It is meant to hold 2 litres but only takes half of that because air fills it up. How is this possible?  the bubbles must be a link as bubbles are air. but to pass over 500mls of air a day in the urine seems bizzare. Has anyone every heard a link between air/bubbles in the urine and ckd???  I do see my neph again in 3 months but seems such a wierd question to ask him
Hello there,
The exact cause of your symptoms can be determined only after a complete medical evaluation. There can be several causes of bubbles in urine like loss of proteins in urine. Excessive consumption of proteins which is not absorbed and utilized may be released as waste through urination. Expelled urine may react with air and may cause bubbly appearance. Increased intake of meats, fish, and chicken can also cause foamy bubbly urine. Dehydration and decreased water intake are few other possibilities. Drink plenty of water every day. Do contact your nephrologist and keep me posted.
Take care and regards!