Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Doc said CKD Stage 3...really?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Doc said CKD Stage 3...really?

I was wondering if anyone could explain this one. I was diagnosed as having Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3 three months ago by my urologist. I'm a 50 year old male. At the time, my creatinine level was 140. My urine tested positive for white blood cells (+50), and red blood cells were +3, and my uric acid level in my urine was pH 7.8. Now for the past two months my creatinine level has constantly been at 115 (perfectly normal), no white blood cells in my urine, no red blood cells in my urine, and the uric acid level in my urine has dropped to pH 5.3. Further, I had a blood pressure of 98/54 when diagnosed as chronic kidney disease, but now have a blood pressure of 105/68. What gives? Is it possible I was cured of my chronic kidney disease? Do I still have chronic kidney disease and have only temporarily gotten better? Or did I not have chronic kidney disease in the first place? Something seems strange...perhaps it's time to get a new urologist. Why would go from Stage 3 back to a constant normal range for almost everything? Any advice would be much appreciated.
How extraordinarily wonderful! I would be overjoyed if I were you.  Are you under the care of a Nephrologist or just a Urologist? If not, I would consider consulting a Neph too! Get him to run another set of tests, which I'm suprised your doc hasn't done already.  The body can unexpectedly restore itself often times, physicians know this, and yet can't explain it!  Just the reverse of why we develop diseases/conditions and can't always explain why!? I hope your good news continues, I'm puzzled what was your actual diagnosis of the cause of your Stage 3 CKD? You mention Uric acid was it this alone caused your condition?

Jan

Jan
Thanks, Jan!

Yes, it was very good news, and quite e relief, too! My doc's comments were in line with yours. First, he said it was none of my urologist's business to diagnose me as CKD. He said that diagnosis can only be made by a nephologist. Further, he said he didn't suspect kidney disease in the first place as my blood pressure was too low. They did find a few white blood cells in the most recent urine sample. After being cultured, it was discovered that there was a very minor straph epidermis infection in my bladder and that is what probably shot all my levels up high for awhile. He gave me anitbiotics to kill the infection. He was surprised, however, that I had a straph epidermis infection, and said he suspected it was a contaminated catheter or some similar object. Coincidentally, I did have a catheter inserted into my urinary tract two years earlier by the same urologist who claimed I had CKD. And, yes, he seems to have made his faulty diagnosis based on my pH levels and some mathematical equation -- not sure exactly how it works. Anyway, glad to be out of the woods on that one, and will definitely will not be heading back to my former urologist. Oh, well, hopefully lessons learned make us wise. Cheers!
Thanks for the vote Sammy!  I'm glad I could be of some help!  I hope you keep on recovering and if I were you, I'd certainly change my Urologist, he sounds a little bizarre to me, lol! Definately consult a Nephrologist though just to be on the safe side though.  Good luck!  I'm not having a good day today, ppppppppppppppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn! from a very nast kidney stone 10mm which can't be accessed using a scope, would need to laprascopically remove - no thanks! Meanwhile it's just coping with the pain episodes when they occur!
Good luck with the stone! I know the feeling. I just passed one two days ago. Ouch!! Had lap surgery two years ago (1.8 cms -- stuck in the right ureter). Don't want to venture their again. The present stone (6 mm) came out after huge quantities of fluid intake. Have also recently gone gluten and lactose free. It's still too early to tell the benefits yet, so I don't know how it will make me feel in the long run. And, yes, I've given up on that urologist.
Neph will be in the works for the future. Once again, thanks and take care!