Dual Collective System
I'm a relatively healthy 21 year old female. However, I have been in and out of hospitals intermittently since February or March of 2012 for UTI's. . In March during an ultrasound it was discovered that I have a dual collective system only in my right kidney but nothing more was disclosed to me. I have taken Azithromycin, Bactrim, Keflex, Leviquin and most recently Macrodantin. All of which haven't seemed to fully relieve the bacteria infection in my ureters because it is a seemingly resistant strain.-just my luck- I do not have a history of stones nor have I passed any stones through all of this. Between hospital visits and doctor visits, I've become completely exhausted from this whole ordeal. I'm currently waiting on an approval to see a urologist. My most recent hospital visit last week was the first time any form of treatment plan had been implemented. My question is what can I expect from a urologist?

Hello and hope you are doing well.

Double collecting systems of the kidneys can be incidental findings. They can be complete or incomplete. When complete, the upper pelvis and its ureter usually drain the upper third  of the kidney,
while the lower one drains the lower two-thirds of the kidney.  The upper pole ureter is prone to obstruction at the vesicoureteric junction, and may be associated with an ectopic ureterocele.  The lower pole ureter is prone to vesicoureteric reflux caused by positioning of the ureteric orifice. These reflexes could cause the persisting infections. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks! That has definitely given a little more insight to the condition. So far I have been having more good days than had days and it's now been about 10 days since the completion of the macrodantin and while pain is little to none I do still notice some occasionally. More so if I have consumed any liquids that aren't water or juice. I was able to get an approval for a specialist and am eagerly awaiting October 7th.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

For UTI the culture and sensitivity will reveal an appropriate antibiotic to be used. Am hoping Diabetes has been ruled out. Have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear urinary tract infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.