GFR
Vanessa Lacuesta,

I am not hypertensive and do not have diabetes.  My a1c test was 6.  I do have fibromyalgia and have used various nsaids over the past 10 years or so.  I am on antidepressants b/c of depression due to fibromyalgia.  My creatinine levels were high normal and BUN was high normal.  Urine analysis was normal.  I am 53, 25lbs overweight.  I have not had any follow up testing on my kidneys.  My gft is 48 and has been for about 8 months.  I was just wondering if I could raise my GFR in some way? Thanks.

You have mentioned taking medications for the fibromyalgia. I suggest you have your current medications  evaluated as some drugs ( especially those metabolized by the kidneys) may alter GFR.

There seems to be no direct method of increasing GFR. Th underlying cause for a decreased GFR needs to be ascertained and that cause needs to be managed to prevent the GFR from decreasing further. For hypertensives, dopamine and ACE inhibitors are given to improve GFR. In one study, intake of glutamine increased GFR but studies in humans have been very limited.