Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Help with renal failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Help with renal failure

I had a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago as a follow up to colon cancer a year ago. I ended up in the ER about six hours later and had a CT scan among other tests. everything turned out ok but last week my primary told me I had stage 3 renal failure from the blood tests when I was at the hospital. I had blood work done two weeks prior and everything was fine. My GI doctor said it was due to the prep for the colonoscopy and that I had eaten afterwards so the tests are not accurate. My primary is having do a bunch of blood tests and an ultrasound. My question is it possible that the tests from the hospital could be wrong due to all the other circumstances and can you develop renal failure in two weeks?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
How are you? What are the symptoms present? Acute renal failure occurs when the kidneys suddenly stop filtering waste products from the blood which may occur after complicated surgery or trauma, when blood vessels leading to kidneys become blocked, there are toxins in the system or urine flow is blocked. To confirm the diagnosis, additional tests may need to be done. With acute renal failure, the function of the kidney can return to normal or near normal with proper treatment. Take care and do keep us posted.