Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
High Potassium
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

High Potassium

I thought I would post in this forum since high potassium can affect your kidneys.

I have a level of 5.6

Going back in two weeks to have it re checked.

Would eating foods high in potassium be responsible for the spike?  I drink low sodium V8 which has 890mgs of potassium and also eat sweet potatoes a lot.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Blood potassium level is normally 3.6 to 5.2 millimoles per liter (mmol/L). So, a value of 5.6 is above the normal range, but marginally. Commonly the raised levels are caused by the rupture of blood cells in the blood sample during or shortly after the blood draw. The ruptured cells leak their potassium into the sample. This falsely raises the amount of potassium in the blood sample, even though the potassium level in the body is actually normal. Hence a repeat blood test is advised.

The most common cause of genuinely high potassium (hyperkalemia) is kidney failure. It can also be transiently raised due to consumption of food high in potassium. So, recheck your value and consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank