Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
I'm fairly new to this, what can I do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I'm fairly new to this, what can I do?

I started having signs of Medullary Sponge Kidney at seventeen, since then I've had repetative kidney stones, utis, and what was, up until October of 2011, unexplained back and flank pain. Then I was diaognosed with MSK by a local hospital and returned to the Naval Hospital where the majority of my care takes place. Naval stated that I did not have it. It wasn't until my second pregnancy May 2012 to January 2013 that the worst of my problems began. I was diaognosed with stones again in October and very optimistic b/c I was pregnant and I know that's common, but what happened after that was an endless string of horrible events. The next six months my urine was constantly bloody, I never passed my stone(s), the problems kept escillating and escillating, eventually causing me to go into laborly prematurely. My son was born perfectly. But I still hadn't passed a stone. About three weeks later I passed a 5mm stone at home, and finally the doctors decided I might not be a drug seeker. A CT scan reveiled 5 major stones 6mm and smaller, and dozens of ones that weren't really measureable. I had a ureateroscopy shortly after. Naval finally told me, yes, you do have Medullary Sponge Kidney, but they said there is nothing I can do about it, just endure the pain, the stones, the infections, and the ER visits. Is that true? Is there really nothing I can do?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Medullary sponge kidney disease may be asymptomatic in most people .Few people may have a UTI or kidney stone. UTIs and kidney stones share many of the same symptoms.MSK is suspected in patients with repeated UTIs or kidney stones. An x ray called an intravenous pyelogram can help confirm the diagnosis. No treatment can get rid of cysts in the affected kidneys. In a person who has MSK, treatment mainly focuses on curing existing infection, removing any stones if present and preventing future urine infection and stone formation. Dietary changes and adequate intake of fluids may be helpful. Discuss your concerns with your treating doctor and do write to me again.
Best luck and regards!