Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
KUB ultrasound results; simple cortical renal cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

am bit worried about my latest ultrasound results.i have this cortical renal cyst(left kidney)and occassional rbc in my urine.i am 32yo man.according to the results of the ultrasound there is a calcification would you mind explaining it?what should i do and what should i eat?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Calcifications in a renal cyst requires further evaluation. In the presence of RBC in the urine I suggest that a renal CT scan be done. This may be able to ascertain the presence and extent of calcification found in the ultrasound scan. This is probably a benign cyst. How large is the cyst?

It is still best to have this further evaluated. A Renal CT scan every 6 months may be done to monitor the cyst. If indicated a renal MRI may be requested to ascertain involvement of nearby structures and to help guide the right management.

At this point, continue taking a well balanced diet. Avoid any spicy food or too much salt in the diet. Drink plenty of water and fruit juices. Mild exercises may be able to improve circulation.

Has your doctor discussed the diagnosis  with you?