Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney Stone Treatment Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney Stone Treatment Question

I have a 7mm calcium based (I believe) stone that after 5 years has moved from the kidney to the Ureter. (CT Scan last week). I had a lot of pain a week ago and moderate to no pain since. Currently just feel a mild stomach discomfort. He put me on Flomax on the off chance it might pass on it's own.

My doctor wants to go in with a scope and laser it out. He didn't offer me any alternatives until I began asking questions and then said I could do ESWL (Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy). My research on ESWL makes it seem to be the more non-invasive method to try and fix the problem. ESWL is only available thru my doctor's group 1 day a month, and either I do it next week (too soon for reasons below) or in 5 weeks. He feels going in with a scope will give us a 90% success rate and ESWL a 70% rate.

The reason I DON'T want to do the Laser scoping (Laser lithotripsy with cystoscope) is that he did this on me 5 years ago on another stone, left me a bloody mess with a stent in my penis and a string hanging out, and still didn't find the stone. It did pass out on it's own a week later. I had a lot of pain down there for weeks, and my sensations during sex were not "right" for at least 6 months. He didn't prepare me for any of this, the blood, the stent, the possibility of it not working and I swore I wouldn't do anything like this again. And Here I AM!!!

I am a 57 year old Male with a mechanical heart valve (and on Coumadin), and a knee replacement. I have High Blood Pressure (controlled). My doctor says they will do either procedure as long as I'm off the Coumadin for a few days.

I am wondering if there is any reason NOT to try the ESWL 1st. I realize I will get mildly beat up and there will be some bleeding, but it seems to be a far better alternative to scoping. I'm also not comfortable with my doctor doing the scoping....it would be another doctor doing the ESWL. Of course if the severe pain comes back, I don't know...Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
In case anyone's interested: I put off the treatments a few days and ended up with a blocked kidney and a MRSA Blood infection. Needed a stent, all sorts of fun procedures, and ended up with a scope up my You-Know-What anyway.

Don't wait..........  jp