Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney area pain with no infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney area pain with no infection

I am a 33 year old female with one Kidney.  I just found out December 2011 that I only had one during other tests unrelated.  For the past year an a half I have had right side pain in the area of my good, functioning kidney.  I have had blood tests, CT scans, ultrasounds, visits to nephrologists, urologists, etc...I was put on Cipro even though no infection was found just in case...All tests report a good healthy functioning kidney...all tests were perfect except the left missing kidney...has anyone had similar expeience?  Is it muscular?  Nerve damage?  I had an accident in 2002 in which I fractured my 2nd and 3rd lumbar vertabrae...does it take 10 years for never damage to appear?  I am just very concerned and hoping someone has had a similar experience...Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could be due to degenerative changes in the vertebrae. Sometimes, when one kidney is affected leading to shrunken kidney, the other undergoes what we call compensatory hypertrophy (enlargement) and this could sometimes cause a continuous dull pain on the corresponding loin (low back). As the nephrologist whom you have consulted had ruled out a kidney problem, the pain could be due to the hypertrophy. However, it is worthwhile doing a urine culture in order not to miss chronic infection of the urinary tract. Some of the chronic infections such as tuberculous kidney may require (IVU / IVP) intravenous pyelography / urography for diagnosis (as well as urine culture for tubercle bacilli.). Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.