Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney function and what stage of disease i am in

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I was sent to a nefrologist (?) and was told my kedneys were functioning at 38%      I want to know what stage of kidney disease I am in.  can you tell from this number?

Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you?  Kidney function is usually measured in percentages. Two normal kidneys account for 100% of kidney function. A single kidney provides about 50% of kidney function. One can lead a normal life with one kidney as long as the single kidney remains healthy. When kidney function drops to less than 50% of normal, the risk of health problems increases.
Serious health problems are more frequent when kidney function drops to below 20%.
Dialysis or transplant is necessary if kidney function falls to 15% or below. Drink plenty of water and it would be best to discuss with your doctor your current health status ad proper management suited for you. A referral to a nephrologist may be indicated.

Take care and regards.
Stage 3, erm and drink less water not more, only sips up to a max 2 to 3 ltr a week.
sorry 2 to 3 ltr per day, go and see a renal ditecian