Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney infection? Sharp back pains!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney infection? Sharp back pains!

Bio:
Female
Ago 20
Healthy
Cystitis/ frequent UTI's
Family history: Sister has had many uti's, kidney infection, and kidney stones around my age.

For the last 2 week I have had sharp cramp like pains shooting through my lower right side of my back, under my rib cage. It would happen 1-2 times a day. Yesterday it happened 3-4 times while my friend was with me within a 20 min period... she said it sounds like I am starting to get a kidney infection, she has had one before and she said my symptoms were like hers.

Today I have had a overall dull pain in my lower right back, under my rib cage. I feel uncomfortable leaning on my right side. Sitting here, I feel like on my right side, between my stomach and back, I feel a bit of pressure and dull pain.

I have chronic UTI's... is there a med I can get that I can take whenever I need it and not have to go to the doc? And also, does it sound like a kidney infection is coming on? Just a urine sample is all the doc would need? Thank you!
Hi. It sounds like kidney stones to me. I could be wrong. But yes doctor will give you a urinalysis first to rule out UTI and kidney infection. If the pain persists, you will need an altra scan.
Thanks... doc found blood in my urine so getting a CT scan tomorrow... pretty sure its stones, thanks!
Good luck!