Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney pain after passing a stone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney pain after passing a stone

I had severe Kidney pain for 30hours, however the severe pain subsided and i had an x-ray which showed nothing unusual, i think i passed a stone in my urine without realising (as the pain decreased, rapidly after going to the toilet) However the next day i can still feel a pain in my kidney, but it is not as severe as before, and seems to occur mainly when i am lying down.
I just wondered if it could be another stone (yet my x-ray showed nothing) Or could it just be my Kidney healing after the stress it went through?

Awaiting your reply
Many Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? About 10% of stones do not have enough calcium to be seen on standard x-rays. These radiolucent stones can be seen in an ultrasound or CT of the kidneys. I would recommend that if the pain persists, additional imaging modalities such as mentioned above may be done. Otherwise, pain medications may help control the symptoms. Pain usually returns if the stone moves but re-obstructs in another location. Patients are encouraged to strain their urine so they can collect the stone when it eventually passes and send it for chemical composition analysis which will be used along with a 24 hour urine chemical analysis test to establish preventative options.

Take care and do keep us posted.
Many thanks for that,
It turned out i did still have a stone, and i am currently trying to pass it. I am on pain killers so i have little if any pain at the moment. Fingers crossed i can get rid of it soon.
Cheers
Avatar_dr_f_tn

There are various measures that can be used to encourage the passage of a stone such as:  increased hydration, medication for treating infection and reducing pain, and diuretics to encourage urine flow and prevent further stone formation. Majority of stones 4 mm or less in size usually will pass spontaneously, however  stones larger than 6 mm will require some form of intervention.  If the stone does not pass or move within 4 weeks,  surgical intervention is also considered because waiting longer tends to lead to additional complications. Regular follow up with your doctor is highly recommended.

Take care and regards.