Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidneys, evidence of situs inversis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidneys, evidence of situs inversis?

Hello, I am new here, and have a few questions. I just got back from my doctors office, and after having an ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder the results came back with evidence of situs inversis (I think, now I forget the exact term, fairly sure that was it). However I cannot find really anything about this on the internet, and currently waiting for more testing. This does not seem like  common problem, but was curious if anyone knows anything about this. Please, any help is appreciated.

anybody?
Situs Inversus: a condition in which the organs of the chest and abdomen are arranged in a perfect mirror image reversal of the normal positioning.

Basically, one (or more) of your organs are 'backwards'.

Did the doctor indicate any complications?
He said that he wasnt too worried about it, but I have to go for CT scans. He also said that if my heart was in normal positioning (on the left) there is a large chance of heart problems, but if it was on the right side (mirrored) like everything else, it only complicates things if I need any transplants or surgery. Though now Im curious, because how do I go 21 years without this ever being caught? I dont remember ever undergoing any kind of imaging other than an xray of my neck, chest, and ultrasounds, recently and when I was pregnant..... Thanks, I was having a hard time finding info on this.