Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Living healthy with a single kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Living healthy with a single kidney

Recently my doctor discovered that I was born with only one kidney. I am 36 years old, and I never knew this. I am wondering if there are some things that I can do to ensure extra care to my single kidney. My doctor was not really able to provide much information and told me to contact a specialist. Are there certain vitamins I should take? Diets? Do you think it is wise to find out the present condition of my remaining kidney?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Many people are born with a single kidney. This occurs in about one out of 750 people. This is not usually due to a particular disease or an illness, it is just a variation of nature. Being born with a single kidney is more common in males, and the left kidney is more often absent. The single kidney usually compensates and so the kidney function is normal.

In the long-term, there are no problems associated with having only one healthy kidney. There are no special precautions needed for child-bearing, and special diets are generally not required for those with a single healthy kidney. A low fat, high fibre diet and drinking at least two litres of water a day are recommended for everyone as part of a normal healthy diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.