Living healthy with a single kidney
Recently my doctor discovered that I was born with only one kidney. I am 36 years old, and I never knew this. I am wondering if there are some things that I can do to ensure extra care to my single kidney. My doctor was not really able to provide much information and told me to contact a specialist. Are there certain vitamins I should take? Diets? Do you think it is wise to find out the present condition of my remaining kidney?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Many people are born with a single kidney. This occurs in about one out of 750 people. This is not usually due to a particular disease or an illness, it is just a variation of nature. Being born with a single kidney is more common in males, and the left kidney is more often absent. The single kidney usually compensates and so the kidney function is normal.

In the long-term, there are no problems associated with having only one healthy kidney. There are no special precautions needed for child-bearing, and special diets are generally not required for those with a single healthy kidney. A low fat, high fibre diet and drinking at least two litres of water a day are recommended for everyone as part of a normal healthy diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.