Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Persistent blood in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Persistent blood in urine

Back in the last week of July I got a bit sick, nothing debilitating. But at that time I did develop some very dark urine. After I was feeling better, the urine looked better. Then my urine fluctuated between dark and normal. It seems to be normal in color in the morning and evening but gets dark during the day when I'm active. It can be dark amber to almost coffee colored, red at times and it's very cloudy and sinks to the bottom of the toilet.

I did go to the doctor, had an IVP done, blood work, ultrasound, some other tests on my urine. No sign of stones or infection. I also have no pain or fever.  Except for the blood, tests come back normal (a previous test a few years ago showed cysts on my left kidney and on my spleen, apparently not a concern).

I do drink at least 8 cups of water a day (no coffee or sodas), very diligent with this since the strange urine appeared. Yet all the tests show nothing. It's been 10 weeks now and I'm discouraged. Is it possible to have blood, very obvious at times, and have no problems at all? Will it eventually go away?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If lab tests did not reveal a cause for the hematuria, then a cystoscopy may be needed to diagnose. It could be due to bladder tumors or stones.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the response. I gave up hearing anything back because if the doctor can't find anything, how can I expect a lay person to know what's going on.

I did visit the urologist thinking I was going to hear results of the tests.Only he surprised me saying he was actually going to do the cystoscopy. I was not a happy person. :-( However, I went ahead with the test and my bladder is beautiful. For now it's just wait and see. My urine is looking a bit better, just unpredictable. I'm due to see the urologist again at the end of Nov. I'll just go with the flow (pun intended).
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Good to know that cystoscopy did not reveal anything. Sometimes in postmenopausal women, the urine does get a bit cloudy with deposits, which could be due to vaginal causes. Another possibility is a low grade urinary tract infection. For now, just go with the ‘flow’ and keep yourself well hydrated. Good Luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.