Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Polycystic Kidneys
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Polycystic Kidneys

My Dad had Polycystic Kidney Disease. Sadly he died in an accident the year he was actually due to go on dialysis.

Is it worth me being tested? I am now 32.

My older sister got tested at the age of around 28. Is it true that it may not even show until you reach your 30's and therefore the test she had was a bit pointless?

I get pain in my kidneys at times and fuzzyness but I drink a lot of alcohol and don't know if that may be the cause. Its nothing to the pain I remember my dad being in at times. I also know though that it can be worse in Males than females, plus my dad was in his late forty's to early 50's then.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1310633_tn?1289313024
"THEY" say that approximately 75% of Americans have cysts on their kidney's and never even know it. It's a small percentage of the population, relatively speaking, that cysts actually effect.

Since PKD is more often than not, hereditary, it might not be a bad idea to get yourself tested. As for your sister getting tested at 28, no test is ever a 'waste'.

The pain in your kidney's could be a result of the PKD. Better to catch it early than to wait too long until it reaches end-stage renal failure (not saying that's what's going to happen, but you never know).

Better safe than sorry.
Blank
494976_tn?1302714301
Thanks for your comment.

Is it something you have medication for then to slow down the progression of more cysts developing?
Blank
1310633_tn?1289313024
I take medication for my kidney-stones, but as far as I'm aware, there's no medication for PKD (although I haven't really looked into it as my case is asymptomatic). Well, I say it's asymptomatic, but it does cause a considerable amount of pain.

I take no medication for PKD at present, to answer your question.
Blank
494976_tn?1302714301
See, this is what I was thinking. Perhaps not worth it. I mean if there is nothing to be done anyway.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...