Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Possibly floating kidney? Please need your help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hello, I have an important question about my kidneys.  Specifically the right kidney.  I have a pain that is in my right kidney, never in my left.  The pain comes and goes.  Sometimes I can go for almost a year without this pain, but then out of the blue it will start up again.  And last for a very long time, for a year or longer.  This pain comes in waves and is always there when it is present.  It is very colicky.  Recently, this pain has come back with a vengeance!  I had to miss three days of work because of this.  I cannot pin point any time or anything specifically that triggers this pain.  It is very painful.  When it occurs I often need to grab onto something to hold myself up, I get chills, and I get nauseous.  I have had kidney stones in the past and last I checked I did have a couple very very small ones in my kidney.  But I cannot imagine that this pain is caused by these small stones, and so frequently!  I drink plenty of water like my doctor suggested.  I have had ultrasounds and xrays of both my kidney and gallbladder.  Both of these were done while I was lying down. Would they see if I had a floating kidney if I was laying down?  Do I need to be standing up for them to notice this.  I am very confused about what is going on and it is taking over my life.  Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
~Sara