Renal Tubular Acidosis
I was recently diagnosed with renal tubular acidosis after suffering with chronic kidney stones for several years.  I've had well over 15 stones and have needed stents a couple of times b/c I've had a few that caused obstructions.  After being diagnosed, I was put on potassium citrate and haven't had any stones since taking that medication.  I do still have 2 stones in my left kidney but they were there prior to starting this med.  So hopefully they will continue to just hang out in my kidney and not start moving!  My question is has anyone else been diagnosed with this kidney condition?  If so, what medication were you prescribed and has it helped?  I'm just so worried that this won't work and I'll keep forming stones, and as those who have had stones know, it's a horrible experience!  Thanks for any input or advice you can offer!
Hi there,
The prognosis of your condition depends a lot on the type of RTA you have. With careful balancing of body chemicals you may achieve good results. In cases of an underlying disease responsible for the kidney malfunction, it may be the determining factor in the prognosis. Treating the cause may help. Vitamin D may be needed in few cases. Early diagnosis and treatment along with regular monitoring may be helpful in preventing complications. Discuss your concerns with your treating nephrologist.I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!