Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Severe back pain in morning relieved after urinating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I have two separate disorders going on in my body, one is neurological and the other is blood related. I am not sure which thing is causing this pain. I get woken up by the lower back pain in the middle of the night or early morning. It is so severe, I cannot move. Eventually when I get up and urinate, it dissipates. Do you think it is a coincidence that it is going away and so happens to be after I urinate?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? Does the pain occur during daytime urination?  Full bladder may have effects on the surrounding pelvic structures. However, with your description of severe pain, this may warrant further evaluation. It would also help if you elaborate on the disorders you've mentioned for correlation.

Take care and keep us posted.
No pain during the urinating. The pain is so severe, but then just goes after I urinate, or maybe it is just the fact that I am up that it goes? I have an arachnoid cyst with hydrocephalus. I did think maybe fluid, for whatever reason was collecting in the bottom of my spine, and that is why it was hurting. But I'm not sure. I do have another disorder, it is a blood disorder.
I forgot to mention, it cannot possibly be a full bladder, as I have to urinate frequently in the night in large amounts. I would be surprised if it was completely full by morning. I am always thirsty and go through 2-3 litres of water a day. I get really uncomfortable if I go 1 hour without water, and end up drinking twice as much in the next hour to make up for it.