Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
What to expect ? Kidney removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

What to expect ? Kidney removal

I am 36 and am scheduled to have surgery on nov. 12 th . I have a tumor on my right kidney the size of a grapefruit. Doc says 50/50 chance of cancer. I guess they have to remove my lowest rib and a flank incision. I am doing a lot of future tripping. How much care am I gonna need after surgery? What kind of pain should I expect? What ever else I need to know.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Kidney removal or nephrectomy, is surgery to remove all or part of the kidney. Your doctor and anesthesiologist will talk to you before the procedure and discuss the surgery and what to expect. Recovery may be painful especially if it is not a laparoscopic procedure. It will take a while and you may need to take plenty of medicines to prevent any complications. In the surgery, the incision may be as long as 12 inches. The kidney will then be removed or part of it. And the cut is then closed with stitches or staples. The outcome for this procedure is usually good.  This link may be helpful: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003001.htm

Take care and do keep us posted.
Nephrectomy that is what I saw on my chart although my doctor never spoke that word to me, nice to know what it means. I haven't been to scared untill the last few days it's settling in now.I am wondering how long I will need someone to be with me at home before I can move enough on my own . Any advice?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
You will stay in the hospital for around 2 to 7 days.  It will take a few more weeks to a month for complete recovery in your home due to the operation wound. This will depend on a lot of factors such as presence of infection or bleeding. It will be a good idea to have somebody with you during this time to help you. Don't be scared, it would also help to talk to your doctor  and discuss the procedure wit him or her to ease your anxiety.
Thanks for your help every little bit helps. I am ticking of the days till surgery it is so life consuming I can't wait to get to the other side of it and get active again. It is sounding like I have quite a ordeal ahead I was thinking it would be to weeks recovery.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Feel free to ask any questions that need more clarifications. I also recommend that you have an open communication with your surgeon to ease any worries of the coming operation. Take care and do keep us posted.  

I had a radical right nephrectomy in 2000, also had a large tumor the size of a newborn's head. I hope and pray this is not cancer, mine was an oncocytoma with some weird stuff there and doctor called it a 'low grade' cancer.

Getting up from bed will be really painful, since ribs are broken. I suggest putting lots of pillows around you in bed to be more comfortable. Don't lift anything! It will take time but you will feel better with each day. Try to get up and walk as soon as you can.

Best wishes and prayers!
How was the pain medication I have some alchol issues and do not drink. I do not want to get hooked on pills nor do I want to be in pain any suggestions

In the hospital I had a morphine drip, but really needed that. At home, I tried not to take a lot of pain meds. Just a lot of rest and otc stuff [but stay away from advil with one kidney].

I understand your concerns - you will be okay.
I have a question on behalf of my brother, he is still in hospital he had his left kidney removed this last friday with a football size cancer tumor, the Dr. also removed a few lymph nodes, of course he is in a lot of pain the incision is from front to back on side under rib cage this is 2 days after surgery, is it normal to have blood in urine. He had none untill today?
I don't know the answer but as I have surgery on the 12 th of nov. I would like to know all the details of your brothers surgery and want to know what to expect. I hope you find your answers. Best of luck to you and yours
becca