Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Where can I find financial support for dialysis patients?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hi there. I have an uncle named Mark and about a month ago, he was diagnosed with kidney failure. Dialysis is the only hope for him to live and the problem is - he doesn't have enough finances to support his regular dialysis. He has not finish schooling because of vices. He also doesn't have any job. He is 26 yrs. old (maybe too young to have been diagnosed by a lifetime illness). He has been a drug addict and a chain smoker before. His life has gone through a series of ups and downs but mostly down times. Today, I can't help but break upon seeing him fear death and wanting to live and change/correct the mistakes he has done in the past. His life can be described with a word - WASTED, but if given another chance, he's really willing to turn his life around. At times, I see him crying and wanting to give up on life but I can tell it through his eyes that he still wants to live and do some good here on Earth. I'm really appealing for all people who read this post. We're really desperate for your help. We can't afford to leave him and just watch him die day by day. The time wherein we cannot be able to support him financially for his dialysis is quite nearing. Pls reply if you know organizations that help cases like this. thanks  

-vanvan from the Philippines

Sorry to hear but I am not familiar with any financial support for dialysis patients in the Philippines. I feel for your uncle. I was first on dialysis when I was 16. Then again at the age of 28 after my first transplant. Now I got a 2nd transplant after 7 years on dialysis so am happy again but the new kidney is not working fully. There is no such thing as being too young for this life time disease. There are plenty of young people who have kidney disease including one girl I know who is only 20 and runs her own kidney website at www.kidneyfun.net

You can always go to divita.com a well-known organization that has any and all information concern dialysis and financial support.
God Bless you!