Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
duplex kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

duplex kidney

I have just been diagnosed with a left duplex kidney, after 2 years of having recurrent urinary tract infections. I have been prescribed with long term antibiotics. i was told that i have 2 ureters, which become one, before entering the bladder. I have pain on the  left side, if dont go to pass water, when i need to. the pain gets worse. are their any more tests that need to be done?
I have duplex kidneys and ureters on both sides and I've been off and on antibiotics since I was three years old (I'm 28 now). If the antibiotics take care of the problem for you, and you're not in any pain anymore, it can be a nice non-invasive "fix", instead of going under the knife. But as for me, I'm tired of taking antibiotics for the rest of my life, and I want to opt for surgery. I'm going to see a urologist next week to look into it.
Right now I'm on Septra and it takes care of all my symptoms nicely, but I remember when I was younger my only indication that I needed to pee was pain. I didn't get the plain old "full bladder" feeling, nope, it would just hurt and I'd know I needed to empty my bladder. So I know what you're talking about.
I hope your infections clear up soon and good luck!