kidney disease and kidney diet
I finally saw neph for first time today.
We discussed many things, medication etc. One of the things that came up was that I have iron deficiency. i have been taking oral iron supps for ages but she has told me that with ckd they arent very effective and I need intravenous infusions of iron. Has anyone else come across this advice???
also i asked her about the kidney diet as have read some postings from others who found it helped.  I am confused here though as she told me there was nothing I could do to stop the progression and that i would end up in failure. >>> I am really confused here.  she said that the diet will help some but it depends on the cause of renal disease, I have chronic infections due to ileal conduit as no bladder. Is there anyone out there who has it for same reason and has used the kidney diet???
She advised no iv contrast, ho anti inflammatory meds for pain, frequent iron studies and said need flu vax etc as my immune sytsem is reducing. God it just seems every corner I turn is just more negativity.  I would really like to talk to someone who is experiencing all this. I feel so let down as I had convinced myself that once I get in to see neph things will look brighter and now I just feel more pessimistic than ever!!!!!!!
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I understand your predicament. The medications, diet and life style measures help to prolong the course of the disease. They help to reduce the load on the sick kidneys to promote its functioning. Iron or venofer injections are given to combat the anemia and needs regular follow up.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.