Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Neck Muscle or Swollen Lymph Node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Neck Muscle or Swollen Lymph Node

I noticed what I thought was a lymph node sized lump or possibly a swollen lymph node yesterday...it's slightly behind my ear...almost all the way at the base of my neck on the right side. I got very scared about having a swollen lymph node and went to my general practitioner last night.  They examined me and felt the area I was referring to. Conclusion was that it was just my neck muscle and a location where my neck muscle might be slightly larger...but as I ran my finger along the area I could tell it was all one long muscle and not a lymph node.

What I'm wondering is, could I have an inflammed or swollen node UNDER the muscle that is making it seem like I have a swollen node?

Could this be a posterior cervicle lymph node or anoth node at the base of the neck...

They said I could have an ultrasound...but I said know...now of course I'm thinking about doing it.
did you ever find anything out about this? because i too have what i thought was a lymph node but when you run your finger up and down it feels like a muscle. so i am beginning to wonder. but my thing is that i is moveable and feels like what a lymph node is. any advice would be great!
I am searching for information on what sounds like the same problem. I keep forgetting to ask my doctor about it. I've had it for over a year and usually forget about it -- but it is painful to the touch. It appeared at the same time as my first uveitis attack, so at the time I thought it was a swollen lymph node related to that. But it (sore hard fixed bump) has not changed at all since it first appeared suddenly. Peculiar.
my son who has chronic lymphadenopathy (he is still a baby) I first noticed it on the posterior neck muscles.  I was so scared & when I took him in to the pediatrician, (It sounds similar to how you are describing it), it was his lymph nodes.  They did blood work & everything was normal, now it has almost been a year, he still gets chronic lymphadenopathy but labs are still normal, he has severe eczema & I pray that is all it is...

but I still get worried.