Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
voice change ???? Is that common?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

voice change ???? Is that common?

One more question please. My voice seems to change. Not to much . The tones are different and I can't yell or raise my voice without coughing.... is this an association with lymphoma?
I'm having the same issue.  It was one of my first symptoms when I started to really get sick from lymphoma. I also had a problem with coughing when I was eating and afterwards. Now I have trouble at times when I have eaten a meal.  
Just today I asked my doctor about this and he was clueless. He said that he did not think it was related to lymphoma.  I think it is, and I have seen coughing listed as a problem with lymphoma.  Sigh. I often get more information from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and the online support groups. It took me nine months and changing doctors three times in order to get a diagnosis.  It has shaken my confidence in doctors for sure. Margot
Hi Margot

i am going for a biopsy on the 19th. I don't think I have lymphoma but don't really know. Did u have a biopsy? I have a swollen lymph on my neck of 2.4 cm , extreme fatigue and that's really it except my voice change. How did you know you had it?

Nanci
Nanci, my first symptom was swollen lymph node on the neck, and then I began to have hot flashes and some fatigue.  The stupid surgeon that I saw did not want to do more than watch it, so from 2006 - 2008 it stayed about the same. Just when the doctor finally decided to do a biopsy, it went away.  From 2008 - 2010, I thought I was more or less ok, though I was concerned  about fatigue. In Jan. 2010, I noticed signs of a suppressed immune system (warts on my finger, rashes, and then the fatigue got very severe). I had a voice change, hoarseness, and a chronic cough, esp. when I was eating or when I had just eaten. My eyes and mouth got very dry.  I had a hard time finding a good doctor who would do a biopsy, even though I went to a Texas oncology center and they should know better.  Got a new doctor and on Feb. 2011 I had a biopsy and it was b-cell lymphoma. I've been treated with a chemo regime called R-CHOP. I just finished my treatment, but I am still having symptoms.
I recommend that you see a doctor that will go ahead and do a biopsy.  It's the most effective and sure way of getting a diagnosis. Keep us posted on your situation.  I hope that you are soon ok.  I hope that it is not lymphoma, and chances are that it isn't.
  Hi Margot,
    I am scheduled for the biopsy on the 19th. My MD has lymphoma and she said that she is concerned about me and wants it done. The first ENT i went to refused to do it. Said to return in 6 months. The lymph node is on my corotid and i am understanding that the appearance of it can change because of the blood flow. My MD has heard that also but she doesn't care, she wants the biopsy done. A surgeon she sent me to also wants it done but he doesn't do the neck. I will see what happens on the 19th.
I am sorry u had to go through so much before you found the right diagnosis. The medical worries me alot. I am an RN and I see so much. IT's becoming very sad for the future generations. I will keep you posted and stay well.....
I'm just checking in to see how you are doing and if you got the results of your biopsy. Keep us posted.  Best wishes!