Lung Cancer Community
recurrent small cell lung cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

recurrent small cell lung cancer

My husband has recurrent small cell lung cancer sense July. His health has really declined in the past month. He is having a hard time with his balance, his memory comes and goes and some days he is so out of it!!
He is loosing weight but his pants won’t button anymore. He had an ultrasound and they said it is gas. What could cause there to be that much gas?
He had a CAT scan of his chest today and they said there is NO significant interval change. HOW CAN THIS BE?????
I’m happy for the news but very confused. Can you help shed some light as to what is going on? The doctors have told us there is no further treatments for him. Should I call in hospice??
Thanks!!

Did your husband undergo any radiation for the brain? This is a frequent area of relapse, and the problems with balance and memory can be attributed to disease in this area.
In the meantime, take care that he doesn't sustain a fall and compound the current problems with injuries due to trauma.  
He had prophylactic brain radiation after he finished his chemo and radiation the first time. He went into remission for a year before the cancer came back seven months ago.
I got the report from his brain MRI they did today and it said:

Interval increase in periventricular and subcortical white matter signal abnormality most suggestive of Leukoencephalopathy of indeterminate etiology. Findings may be treatment related. Degree of progression is more than expected for normal progression of chronic small-vessel ischemic disease. No actue process or abnormal enhancing lesions.

What does this mean?? I looked up Leukoencephalopathy on line. Does this mean he has this and it’s from his brain radiation? Is there a treatment for this?
Any help would be appreciated.