Lupus Community
Autoimmunity and Chickenpox

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Autoimmunity and Chickenpox

I am currently being tested for Systemic Lupus.  I work with children, young children.  Today I noticed a rash on my face, neck and arms with small itchy bumps, they are in clusters.  Are people with Autoimmune Disorders considered immune from chickenpox if they had it as a child?  Or is it a possibility of catching this again if around infected individuals?
I found two things in a book I'm reading that might help you.

At some point in the course of SLE disease, 10% will develop hives.  This is one of the few skin rashes that itch. (Urticaria)

(Bullous Lupus) For every 500 patients with lupus, one has bullous lesions.  Looking like fluid filled blisters (large chickenpox marks), this complicated rash can be further divided into several different subsets.  You should get a biopsy, since treatment depends on which of the three types of bullous rash is present.  Systemic corticosteroids are frequently prescribed, as are antileprosy drugs.  

copied from "The Lupus Book" by DAniel WAllace, M.D.

Let me know if this helps
My lupus began with hair loss and rashes on my forearms, neck, shoulders, and even the palms of my hands. The itching was horrible. When a dermy did an immunoflourescent biopsy I was diagnosed with discoid lupus.
I certainly hope that is not what you have. Mine has wrecked what was a life long peach complexion. It's been very humbling.
Thanks Karajo for the interesting info. from the book!
Best Regards ~ Woshi
I don't know how open you are to supplements, but I wonder if you might not benefit from taking fish oil.  I take several thousands myself.  I'm working up to mega doses.  I know I used to have eczema and started taking Flax Seed Oil and Evening Primerose for menstral cramps and surprisingly, the eczema cleared completely up.  I'll do some reading on the discoid and get back with you.  Even though I have a rash with some pimple looking bumps, I think I have systemic.  No one has done the biopsy thing.  I hear that hurts and leaves a scar.  Is that true?
Kara
I read in Maureen Salaman's book "All Your Health Questions Answered" that 900-1600 IU/day of natural vitamin E had a complete or almost complete clearing of lupus rash.  When vitamin E doesn't work, researchers found that vitamin B12 shots can help.  After six weeks, they all had coomlete clearing of their lesions.  

I recomment the d-alpha tocopherol vitamin E.  If you can find the mixed tocopherol that's even better.  But the d-alpha is the "natural" form,
dl-alpha is synthetic-don't get it.  

I think I'm going to up my vit E.

Do you have joint pain and fatigue with the discoid lupus?
Well I take a B-12 IM shot once monthly because of a vitamin B-12 deficiency, well I am supposed to, but it has been two months since my last. It is just hard to find the energy to go thirty miles to my Neuro's office for the shot after a long day of work with 19 Kindergarteners.
I give myself the B12 shot.  I got a nurse to show me how and the needle is really painfree.  I don't even know when it goes in.  I thought I was going to pass out the first time I did it, but I made it.  I give it to myself in my thigh.  I believe my mother told me she gives her in her stomach.  But you could ask the nurse if she would advise you on that.

I never address the chickenpox question.  The likelyhood of getting chicken pox twice in ones lifetime I think is rare, although I did get them twice.  I remember having them as a child, my mom recorded it in my baby book.  But got them a second time as an adult...really bad.  They were everywhere.  In my ears, nose, mouth, head, between my toes and even in private areas.  EVERYWHERE!  Sooooo, I pray you don't get them ever again.
I really hope that I do not get chickenpox again either.  I was told that I could get my B-12 solution by my Neuro's nurse.  But when she saw how I reacted to getting the shot, she decided it would be in my best interest to come to her.  She is about the only one that can give it to me, I have tried others, but it hurts like crazy. I always get mine injections in my shoulder.
ouch!  Yeh, that is a painful site.  The first shot the nurse gave me was in my arm and it hurt for days.  The ones in my leg don't hurt one tiny bit.  I don't know what the difference is.  
Neither do I, the one let give it to me, does it very gently.  I never feel it, and it can seep blood just a tad, she will sit there and blot it until it stops completely. My sister and I went to high school with her, so we knew each other even before I started seeing my Neuro, she also has done the EMG and NCV on me.  I don't let just anyone stick me.
Hi--are you currently living with discoid lupus? My mother has had discoid skin lupus for over 10 years. She has dark spots and scars, and has lost her hair due to lesions. She is currently off plaquenil because the doctor suggested that it is making her scars appear darker

Would you have something similar? Have there been any skin products and creams that you use from stores that can help the skin look better?

thanks!