Lupus Community
Do I have lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Do I have lupus?

I had extreme joint pain and swelling, "socks and gloves rash, extreme fatigue, mental cloudiness, headache and SOB, palpitation upon excersion. I was diagnosed with a + acute Parvo B19 infection. Two weeks after dx I was sent to a rheumatologist who ordered addtional blood tests these came out Pos ANA  Titer 1:40 speckled, C3 complement 77 MG/DL, Cardiolipin IGM 27.9 MPL, Neg RA, Hematocrit 36.6. I was given Medrol dose pack at week 7 with mild joint improvement, but still symptomatic SOB, malaise, palipations at week 8. How long does the Parvo infection last and could this be indicative of lupus?

Thank you.
Tags: lupus
I did not know a human being could get Parvo.  I thought that was just for dogs and cats.  I am going to look it up on the mayo clinic web site.  

Some of what you have sounds like lupus, but also like a hormone or thyroid problem.  My mom had all these symptoms and it turned out her thyroid was not functioning properly.  I don't see anything there on your labs that you even had your thyroid tested.  Anyway, I hope you get answers soon!  Any infection can cause a new problem with autoimmune diseases, and that is where the ANA titers start to rise.  

Please let us know what you find out.  Thanks.
Background  Parvovirus B19 (B19V), the only member of the Parvoviridae family known to cause disease in humans, is a single-strand DNA virus. The most widely known clinical manifestation of B19V infection is erythema infectiosum, a mild viral illness, followed by a classic exanthem, in which both cheeks appear bright red as though they had been slapped. First described in the 1800s, erythema infectiosum was named fifth disease because it was the fifth of 6 classic exanthematous diseases of childhood to be described.  
History  Common symptoms include a mild prodromal illness that consists of fever, malaise, headache, myalgia, nausea, and rhinorrhea. A bright red rash appears on the cheeks 5-7 days after onset, often followed by a diffuse lacy rash (at times pruritic) on the trunk, which spreads gradually toward the distal extremities.

The cause of parvovirus B19 (B19V) rash is believed to be immunologically mediated, and the rash corresponds to the appearance of immunoglobulin M (IgM) in the serum.

Alternatively, B19V infection may manifest with purpuric rash, erythema multiforme, or pruritus of the soles of the feet. A parvovirus-associated rash may recur weeks to months after the acute infection. B19V may cause a papular-pruritic "gloves-and-socks" syndrome, in which an erythematous exanthem of the hands and feet, with a distinct margin at the wrist and ankle joints, is present along with pain and edema. This syndrome occurs exclusively with B19V infection and is uncommon in adults and rare in children.

Patients with severe anemia may present with pallor, fatigue, or signs of an aplastic crisis. Patients with thrombocytopenia may exhibit bruising.
Rarely, B19V infection manifests as myocarditis, vasculitis, glomerulonephritis, or encephalitis. B19V infection has been reported in association with idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura, Henoch-Schönlein purpura, and pseudoappendicitis. B19V has been reported to precipitate hemophagocytic syndrome.
B19V infection in pregnant women may result in hydrops fetalis, particularly when infection occurs before 20 week' gestation. In the United States, the most common etiology of hydrops fetalis is B19V infection.
In individuals infected with B19V, 20% are asymptomatic.

Physical

B19V infection may be indistinguishable from other viral illnesses in the absence of the classic exanthem.
Splenomegaly may be present.
Patients with aplastic crisis have pallor and tachycardia secondary to anemia. Children with aplastic crisis never have any rash. The absence of rash may result from prolonged viremia and lack of IgM. Another hypothesis is that patients in aplastic crisis often receive blood transfusions, and any rash may be attributed to a transfusion reaction.
A friction rub may be audible if myocarditis is present. Benign flow murmurs are common in anemic children with tachycardia.
The small bones of the hands, feet, elbows, and knees may exhibit signs of arthritis.