Lupus Community
I think I have Lupus..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

I think I have Lupus..

Lately I've been going through the same onset symptoms that my brother had before he was diagnosed.  It started with pain in my wrists, and moved into my fingers, knees, toes, and elbows.  I'm having problems doing tasks that involve opening doors, turning knobs, etc.  Then, the last time I used the restroom, my fecal matter was very pale and appeared to be laced with a red stripe.  All night at work I was freezing, even in many layers of clothing, a skull cap, thermal underwear, and gloves.  I was very tired as well.  I soon realized that these are all the symptoms of Lupus that my brother told me about.. sans the skin rash.  So everything was okay last night and this morning until I looked in the mirror and.. two skin rashes on my cheek.  Little red blotches.  A little itchy, but not really enough to scratch or feel compelled to scratch.  

My brother has Lupus, but no one else in my family that I can think of had it or told anyone they had it.  I never really took great care of myself; I've been hard on my body with excessive exercise, sparse nutrition, poor sleeping habits, and occasional phases of bulimia (now outgrown, hopefully).  I can't really get to a doctor because I live on my own, my motorcycle isn't very dependable in this cold weather, and I don't talk to my family or have any means of contacting them.  No medical insurance and money is too tight for another medical bill.  If I do have lupus, I definitely won't be able to afford the regular treatment necessary to live with it.  On the other hand, if I do nothing, I won't have to worry about living at all.

Does anyone else think all of this might just be a coincidence, or is it likely that I am in fact showing signs of Lupus?
Hi Jonathan,
Welcome to MedHelp Lupus Forum

I does sound like you might have lupus.  There is a lupus medicine that they usually try from the get go.  It comes in a generic.  But I'm sure they would want to have a solid dx before putting you on it. (Plaquinel)

There are 11 criteria for a lupus dx.  You must have at least 4 of the 11 to recieve a dx.

They are:
1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood countor lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

Other symptoms are:
fever
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out
fatigue
muscle pain and weakness
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
abdominal pain
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
raynauds (where fingers turn white when cold)
intollerance to cold
sore throat
...to name a few

Keep in mind that fibromyalgia, CFS, MS and lymes disease also have similar symptoms.  

Hope this helps out.  
God bless you Jonathan,
Kara
HI.I HAVENT BEEN ON HERE MUCH...JUST STARTIN OUT.MY SISTER HAS LUPUS.I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH FIBRO,CFS,RLS,HYPOTHYROIDISM,ANEMIC...CANT THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE RITE NOW.I WAS AT THE DOCS TODAY,TOLD HIM I WANNA SEE A NEUROLOGIST-LESIONS ON THE BRAIN SHOWED ON MRI.HE WANTS ME TO SEE FIBRO SPECIALIST.I KNOW THERES SOMETHING BESIDES FIBRO GOIN ON....OH AND BLISTERS ON MY SCALP.WHATS YOUR TAKE?
Have you been having neurological symptoms?

In my opinion, the sores on the scalp could either be from stress, hormone changes or lupus.

A friend who has restless leg said she heard an old timer say to use tonic water for that.  She tried it and it worked.  Just a small glass every night right before bed.  It would be a cheep thing to try.  We had a hard time finding it in the store.  Finally found it over where the liqour is.  Never go over to that area.

How is your sister doing?
she actually seems better than I.I am going to see a neurologist,and a fibro/pain managment doc.my b12 was dangerously low for so long,I think that was the start and cause of all of this.Personally I think I have some brain damage-cant think,strange feelings,like m stoned on something.scares me.cant control my wandering thoughts.weird.I still get b12 shots every 2 weeks.take one everyday.I know that low b12 can cause permant brain damage,and central nervous system disorders.And ya know what?Id beentelling my doc I was wiped out for years.Till the inflammation showed up in my blood.I read his referral..mixed connective tissue disease.I
Lesions on the brain.  I'm not real familar with what causes that. I know MS does, and it can cause the weird sensations in the brain/thinking area.  But low B12 can cause some neuropathy / tingling feelings too.  

Sometimes,I wonder if some of these disease don't cause vit deficiencies.  Just a thought.

Keep us posted,
~Kara
are you in canada?our health care system sometimes is not great to say the least.but at least we're attended to.but all the referrals already have the docs opinion on it,so unless the specialist doesnt see it,he usually goes by that first.I had an mri 11 years after been runover,finally thinking something would be done,they found abunch of tears in my knee.spec said'TOO LATE...TOO MUCH ARTHRITIS,,I NO CUT!"---WHAT A HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.
No, I'm from America.  But unfortunately, the drs. are no different.  If they figure out you've been to another dr. about the same condition, they are wanting to know what they said.  I presumed because they don't want to go against the other drs.  

My mother finds great releif with her arthritis using alfalfa pills.  She gets it in capsule form because she has a hard time swallowing the tablets.  She takes a handful several times a day.  It would certainly not hurt.  She has tried glucosamine and condroitin and MSM, but she just keeps going back to the alfalfa.  

It's always sad to hear of someone running into dead-ins in the medical arrena.  I guess we think they can fix anything, but only God can do that.  

~Kara
It's unfortunate that you don't have insurance. I would try to get the Plaquenil. I get a 3mo supply for $5!!!! That's cheaper than asprin!

But in the meantime here's what I would do. Just assume you have Lupus and start living well. Clean living, I call it. Once I found out I really had Lupus I started taking much better care of myself and now I'm to the point that I can run 5Ks, work full, etc.

Sleep is #1 - you know what to do, you don't need a lecture
Food - avoid preservatives and chemicals. I don't buy anything from a vending machine. I don't eat chips and anything sold in the "chip" isle. I try to eat foods in their most natural state except for bread which I try to buy the most natural looking one. I eat meat, I eat cookies but I try to make them at home so I know they don't have preservatives.
No smoking
No drinking
Exercise - even if it's just a little bit. Add 10% more each week.
And stay out of the sun as much as possible and wear sunscreen when you can't

You will be surprised how much this helped me! You admit you didn't take good care of yourself, as did I before I found out I had this, but it's not too late to make a change. I came to the realization one day, why do I EXPECT a change in my health when I don't MAKE a change. It takes change to see change.

I used to have so many problems associated with my Lupus (plus other dx's) but now people just meeting me have no idea anything is wrong with me. I have aches and pains still and frequent migraines but other than that, I'm way better than I was!

HOWEVER if you suspect you are having problems with your major organs, heart, kidneys, lungs, etc. you better get yourself to a dr pronto!
Great post Piper!
Glad to have you on board!
My mother was recently diagnosed with lupus after a life long battle with what she and her doctors thought were a slew of other illnesses. After speaking with her PCP i realized that other than the rashes i have severa of the signs. I have always has the swelling around my lungs in the plueral lining off and on my whole life. It is painful and can knock me off my feet at times. It always hurts to breath in, in fact i dont remember the last time i took a deep breath or yawned without it hurting. I have suffered from dibilitating headaches my whole life. I have been enemic my whole life. I get a strange change to my skin after being in the son on my face, seems to get rough and red.
My wrists swell up the same time my lungs hurt and I get exhausted. i always attributed it to the weather... you know when it gets cold outside? I know it sounds funny but I was raised by a bunch of old school country folk and they believe in that kind of stuff lol.
Anyway, I too have no health insurance. I am worried I will end up like my mom with deformed wrists and unable to take care of myself.
I appreciate all the input you all have to offer. Its comforting to know that I truly amd not a crazy lady that everyone thought was just "calling in sick" all the time to get out of work. when in reality those days i spend in pain in bed.

thank you all for hearing me out!
I was recently diagnosed with Lupus.  My body felt like I had been hit with a Mac truck.  I too do not have insurance.  If you contact your local Health Department, they can give you names of clinics in your city that are Federal funded.  They will treat you and you pay for the services based on need.  They consider your income, need, etc.
Hey its better than nothing.  My Dr started me on Plaquenil, I hope it goes to work soon because this illness is kicking my butt.  I am a very independant person, and this diagnosis is not sitting well with me because I am fatigued ALL the time and do not want to get up and do anything at all.  I am also B12 def and that makes me tired too, so I have a double whammy going on here.
But trust me, it will make you feel better just to KNOW what is going on.  I know I did.  I am also OCD, so I was invisioning every worse case scenerio, until she told me what it was.
please help! i recently went out with my kids to play in the pool. i was only outside for maybe 5 mins without sunscreen and devoloped the worst blisters from that short time. i also always have knee, hip, leg pain while trying to sleep. i have had problems with anemia in the past as well aws high blood pressure (mostly during pregnancy). i have had several miscarriges due to a clotting disorder.  i currently have red splotchy areas between my legs and under my breasts. i get dizzy often. all these symptoms seem to point to lupus. what do you guys (girls) think?
Have they ever checked your ANA?