Lupus Community
Is Lupus, osteoarthritis and osteoporosis all related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Hi! I have been diagnosed with Lupus.  I am 51 year old female. It's been almost 4 years and so it's very new to me.  When something goes wrong, I feel that I must blame the lupus.  Recently, I have been really experiencing more joint pain than usual in my shoulders, hands, knees and jaw (7months of pain).  I get bone pain and also shooting pains (which have no diagnosis). My thumb knuckles are starting to pop out to the side.  I have a bad back (no cushion between 4 and 5 + more) and have experienced pain like no other.  A Baker's Cyst also popped up last month at an also bad knee (torn ligaments never corrected).  As of a few weeks ago, my Rheumatologist told me I have osteoarthritis in my hands.  Last week I had a bone scan and was told I also have osteoporosis.  I take 10 different meds a day( asthma, thyroid, high blood pressure, hot flashes,ibs,gird, and lupus)  and am so tired of it all.  Is it possible to have all 3 (Lupus, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis) and if so, is it common?  I guess I keep thinking that maybe it seems odd to be young and have all 3 at the same time.  I want one or more to go away and only have to deal with one disease at a time.  Also...I have a lymph node that has popped up on my shoulder that no one seems to care about...any thoughts on that.  As I said I always blame it all on the Lupus, so I havae an answer.
Thanks so much for any ideas!
My doc told me that Osteoarthritis is so common that she is finding very few people over the age of 45 that DON'T have it.  Mostly the neck and lower back are where the average person gets it.  It's basically wear and tear on your body.  Once they've worn alot in one spot, they start growing a "Burr".  Osteoporosis can be just from your age, or can also be from medications you're taking, or from an imbalance of the amount of Calcium and magnesium (or is it manganese???)  you get.  Or the Lupus could be causing an imbalance or inability to absorb calcium.    

The fact that you have jaw pain makes me think you may have Sjogren's.  My jaw and chin BURNS.  I have learned it's from the Sjogren's.  Once you have one autoimmune disease, your body will have trouble doing what it's supposed to.  I have three diseases, but I don't consider myself to have 3 diseases.  I have an autoimmune problem.  It affects many parts of my body.  End of story.  Do some research on wikipedia ******* about each of the diseases you were diagnosed with, and learn about them.  I believe all three are autoimmune.  Not sure there...but worth a look.  The pills are a pain in the butt, but try doing without them and your problems are ten-fold.  Thank God for those little bitty LIFE SAVERS.  That's what I call them.  Without my pills, I would be rolled into a ball on the bed and wouldn't be able to play with my grandson or go to work or even hold a book I want to read.  BLESS THOSE LITTLE PIILLS!   Keep your chin up.  It could be much worse.  There are sooooo many that have it sooo much worse than you and I.  I am angry I have these problems, but don't have a choice in the matter.  My best bet is to look on the bright side (there's always at least one bright side to every bad thing).  I get down once in a while, but there's always something that perks me up and lets me know that it could be worse.    See if your Rheumatologist can give you better pain killers, and possibly an antidepressant.  A 15 minute walk every day will also help.  Doesn't matter how slow or fast you go.  Stretching in the a.m. and evening will help your pains.  Pilates work well.  Yoga does also.  Of course, I don't partake much, cause I'm lazy as hell, but I always regret it cause I know they help.  Once I start up again, I always feel soooo much better after a few days.  And also, stay out of the sun!!!  That messes most Lupus victims up quite a bit!  Good luck!  keep in touch.

In my opinion and based off the research... yes, it is all related. The shooting pains you describe are a common complaint in patients who have fibromyalgia.

You might want to consider googling "The Molecular Institute for Medicine" for information on infections frequently found in autoimmune diseases and/or "The Roadback Foundation" . I highly recommend both websites for anyone who has a "syndrome" or an "autoimmune" disease.